The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-25-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Gets down to what is the focus. Why so many singers play Gibson, the vocal is the focus, not the instrument. Can't say I've seen many singers play Ryans. Pretty much the same with Goodall, thought they may have some specific models that would be more appropriate.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 11-26-2020, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

I suggest that you might consider a Charis guitar made by Bill Wise, a very high quality builder that is, like Ryan and Applegate, also influenced by Jim Olson's work. He is not making many these days but you might be able to commission one or find a used one. He is located in Michigan. Pricing is somewhat similar to Goodall. Check reviews, AGF comments, videos and samples before seeking one to play.
In any case - best of luck!
Old 11-27-2020, 05:31 PM

I agree that you should play these guitars if at all possible. I have owned 2 older Goodalls (a Sitks and Koa GC and an RW TROM) and 2 Ryan’s (an older Cedar and IRW Mission and a more recent Swiss and Madagascar Paradiso). I loved the Goodall GC and the Ryan Mission. I wasn’t crazy about either the TROM or the Paradiso.

Even though I love the Ryan Mission, I agree that it might not be a good guitar with vocals. Lots of overtones and fat mids. I owned the Goodall GC a long time ago so I don’t think my recollection of it’s tone would be very accurate.

So I come full circle to my initial comment. It will be really helpful for you if you can play these guitars before you buy. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:47 PM

+1 for Applegate. I just took delivery of an Applegate SJ today. I can’t imagine a better guitar in terms of tone, balance, playability and aesthetics. It is an incredible musical instrument.....not just a guitar

I’ve played a few Goodall’s, never had the pleasure of playing a Ryan. I’m sure you can’t go wrong. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkeragain View Post
I suggest that you might consider a Charis guitar made by Bill Wise, a very high quality builder that is, like Ryan and Applegate, also influenced by Jim Olson's work. He is not making many these days but you might be able to commission one or find a used one. He is located in Michigan. Pricing is somewhat similar to Goodall. Check reviews, AGF comments, videos and samples before seeking one to play.
In any case - best of luck!
I understand that he is retiring (slowly - winding down)

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop