The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2019, 11:08 AM

Default EQ’s Which One?

I’m currently using a Fire Eye Red Eye Twin for my pre amp needs. It’s a great pre amp but the EQ function is very limited.
Because I have four different pickups in my five guitars, some passive some active, some EQ is in order.
So far the Empress Parametric EQ really looks like a strong contender.
Anybody use one?
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-19-2019, 11:40 AM

My first thought is the Source Audio programmable EQ if you want to quickly access your settings for each guitar. I haven't used this personally, so I'm just going on specs and other people's opinions. It's not even semi-para, so if that's something that's more important than quick recall, then this goes out the window.

If you're expecting to twiddle the knobs each time, I have lots of love for the Tech21 Q\Strip. This would be a semi-para competitor to the Empress. I use it on every thing. If I don't want to take my whole pedalboard, I swipe this off and run it on phantom power.

My two cents.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

I've also got a Red Eye Twin.

I've used an Empress ParaEQ in the loop, and lately have been using a Boss GE-7 in the loop as an alternative. I just ordered an MXR 10-band eq pedal to try in that spot.

I didn't like trying to dial in the parametric on the fly which is why I've been using the GE-7. I'm hoping the additional bands on the MXR will let me dial in the lower mids quickly and easily.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:22 PM

As far as I can tell the Empress ParaEQ is the gold standard. Have been using one for a few years. No apparent wear. Well made pedal. I've gotten used to setting the 3 bands (frequency, Q, boost/cut) and it has become second nature. Use it for pretty much everything.

The Tech21 Q/Strip is interesting. Don't own one but looks well sorted.

I also use the EQ on a Grace Design Felix quite a bit. It will support 2 instruments with different EQ set ups. It's well designed for acoustic guitar and works fine without anything else.

If you want many different EQ settings on stage on the fly, the Source Audio would be the only one I know of that does that. It's just a graphic EQ, but it's midi control.

Last edited by Spook; 11-19-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowder View Post
I've also got a Red Eye Twin.

I've used an Empress ParaEQ in the loop, and lately have been using a Boss GE-7 in the loop as an alternative. I just ordered an MXR 10-band eq pedal to try in that spot.

I didn't like trying to dial in the parametric on the fly which is why I've been using the GE-7. I'm hoping the additional bands on the MXR will let me dial in the lower mids quickly and easily.
Wouldn’t it be possible to dial the Empress in ahead of the gig and then tweak it a bit at the venue as needed?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-19-2019, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Wouldn’t it be possible to dial the Empress in ahead of the gig and then tweak it a bit at the venue as needed?
Of course, and that's how I tended to use it.

Its layout is fairly logical, with the bass/middle/treble sections laid out side by side with identical controls. There are switches that allow you to choose between broad, moderate and narrow boost/cuts, then a knob for centering the frequency to boost or cut, and finally a boost/cut knob for each band.

If I was sitting in the audience using the ParaEQ to perfect someone else's tone, I'd probably love it.

It's a different thing to be trying to dial it in for my own tone when it's on the floor as a part of my little pedalboard. It's quite hard to decide whether I'd be better off using the narrow or broad cuts, for example, or whether to adjust in the lower part of the mids section or the upper part of the lows section. It's too easy to get in the weeds with those tweaks, mentally speaking.

Note that my main reason for using an EQ is controlling feedback. My K&K Trinity sounds great through the Red Eye Twin, but I want to be able to grab and reduce any freqs that want to go into feedback.

It's fairly simple to use a graphic eq to hone in on particular frequencies that are causing issues. I like that simplicity when I'm adjusting from the stage. Consider that I'm also concerned with my vocal sound, remembering and delivering my songs, and trying to keep a gig moving along. So simpler and more intuitive is better.

Last edited by Crowder; 11-19-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

I have a Couple LR Bagg Align EQ's and they are fabulous. They also include a single knob notch filter that works great and a phase button. Very quiet/pro gear!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-19-2019, 04:40 PM

+1 up for the Tech 21 Q-Strip. Works great.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowder View Post
Of course, and that's how I tended to use it.

Its layout is fairly logical, with the bass/middle/treble sections laid out side by side with identical controls. There are switches that allow you to choose between broad, moderate and narrow boost/cuts, then a knob for centering the frequency to boost or cut, and finally a boost/cut knob for each band.

If I was sitting in the audience using the ParaEQ to perfect someone else's tone, I'd probably love it.

It's a different thing to be trying to dial it in for my own tone when it's on the floor as a part of my little pedalboard. It's quite hard to decide whether I'd be better off using the narrow or broad cuts, for example, or whether to adjust in the lower part of the mids section or the upper part of the lows section. It's too easy to get in the weeds with those tweaks, mentally speaking.

Note that my main reason for using an EQ is controlling feedback. My K&K Trinity sounds great through the Red Eye Twin, but I want to be able to grab and reduce any freqs that want to go into feedback.

It's fairly simple to use a graphic eq to hone in on particular frequencies that are causing issues. I like that simplicity when I'm adjusting from the stage. Consider that I'm also concerned with my vocal sound, remembering and delivering my songs, and trying to keep a gig moving along. So simpler and more intuitive is better.
I went ahead and ordered the MXR 10-band to try. It’s definitely simpler. The lowest and highest frequency bands are likely useless though.
Like yourself, I can’t see me trying to EQ with the Empress from the stage area, it’s nice but I am looking for the simplest way possible and for the same reasons as you.
If this doesn’t work, I might try the L.R. Baggs Align EQ. It was designed for use with acoustic guitars and their specific troublesome frequencies.
It has more to offer than the MXR, notch filter and an HPL.
I dismissed the Tech 21 as an option because people complained it was difficult to use on the fly due to its small sized knobs and difficulty reading the txt and numbers. The unit itself received good ratings.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-19-2019, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I have a Couple LR Bagg Align EQ's and they are fabulous. They also include a single knob notch filter that works great and a phase button. Very quiet/pro gear!
My vote as well. I have one and have been impressed with it!
Old 11-19-2019, 08:51 PM

Big, clunky, complicated and mains powered only but I see no reason to replace my olde Yamaha AG stomp. If it suits your flow it's an extremely well designed box.

I use a Tonedexter on some instruments but on others the AG is the best sound and def the most well equipped with problem solvers and creative options.

Obviously not for everyone but if you're not familiar:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ag-stomp
Old 11-20-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Big, clunky, complicated and mains powered only but I see no reason to replace my olde Yamaha AG stomp. If it suits your flow it's an extremely well designed box.

I use a Tonedexter on some instruments but on others the AG is the best sound and def the most well equipped with problem solvers and creative options.

Obviously not for everyone but if you're not familiar:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ag-stomp
Yes, that’s a bit much for this old-timer. You’re happy with it and that’s all that matters.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-20-2019, 06:52 AM

I use an MXR 10 band eq.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

The Align EQ looks like it's well thought-out, but I have to say I've never plugged anything into an LR Baggs product and liked what came out the other end. Same goes for Fishman IMO.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
What pickup are you using? I have the M1A and am curious how the Align EQ would work with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification