The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, beautiful instrument.

What kind of material was used for fretwire? That shot with the end of the fretboard and soundhole is really cool.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Congrats, beautiful instrument.

What kind of material was used for fretwire? That shot with the end of the fretboard and soundhole is really cool.
Thanks! Laurent used the gold EVO fretwire. Not sure of the size, but I can find out if you want.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 06-26-2015, 12:03 PM

What a beautiful guitar... congratulations MikeD and Laurent. Cheers, berf
Old 06-26-2015, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Thanks! Laurent used the gold EVO fretwire. Not sure of the size, but I can find out if you want.
No worries on finding out the size, just wanted to mention it fits the color scheme very nicely. Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I am really looking forward to getting this guitar. It will have some pretty stiff competition to compete against, so I am hoping it stacks up well. Based on the other builds of Laurent's I have played, including a pernambuco/euro guitar that prompted my choice in woods, I am anticipating it to fit nicely in the mix. If it sounds and plays as good as it looks, it will be a show stopper.
FSM
Old 06-26-2015, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am really looking forward to getting this guitar. It will have some pretty stiff competition to compete against, so I am hoping it stacks up well. Based on the other builds of Laurent's I have played, including a pernambuco/euro guitar that prompted my choice in woods, I am anticipating it to fit nicely in the mix. If it sounds and plays as good as it looks, it will be a show stopper.
It's a very handsome guitar Mike. I hope that it provides that special "music tree magic" for you.

Kudos
Old 06-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

The guitar is on its way! Shipped ground to my work address from Laurent's shop this morning. Since my work is about a 3 hour drive from Laurent's shop, the guitar should be here tomorrow, or at the very worst, on Wednesday! Looking forward to taking her for a little spin when she arrives.
FSM
Old 07-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Well, she has arrived! I had about an hour to play her last night and she is quite the special guitar. Pernambuco adds quite the unique color to the overall tone of the guitar. IMO, it sounds like a cross between mahogany and maple... with a splash of rosewood thrown in. The overtones seem to be pretty balanced and consistent across the tonal spectrum and from string to string, yet the guitar seems to have great clarity and note separation. There is also no lack of headroom or power with the guitar, which for me is a must since I like to play with a pick quite a bit. I will write more as I get to spend some more time with her, but my initial reactions are favorable.

As far as playability, fit and finish, the guitar is meticulously built and the setup is spot on. The guitar is also extremely light weight, even with the Alessi tuners which seem to have a bit of bulk to them. The neck shape, although a bit different than what I had expected, is very comfortable and seems to disappear in your hand when playing.

All in all, she has exceeded my expectations in the first 24 hours. I hope to spend some quality time with her this weekend and maybe I will change the strings up. There are GHS PB lites on it at the moment, which are not my first choice in strings. I am thinking that a nice set of 80/20's might be a good match with the Pernambuco & German spruce. We shall see.
FSM
Old 07-01-2015, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a blast!!! Well worth the wait I'm sure.... Congrats!
Old 07-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

That is great news and welcome to "club pernambuco".

I hope that the guitar continues to take you to new places musically.

Kudos
Old 07-01-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
.....The overtones seem to be pretty balanced and consistent across the tonal spectrum and from string to string, yet the guitar seems to have great clarity and note separation. There is also no lack of headroom or power with the guitar, which for me is a must since I like to play with a pick quite a bit.....The neck shape, although a bit different than what I had expected, is very comfortable and seems to disappear in your hand when playing....
All of the Brondels I have played, including the one I own, have necks that just seem to feel right. All have had excellent set-ups as well. Laurent knows what he's doing in that regard. All of his guitars also seem to be beautifully balanced in all registers. They do have a unique tone to them though. I'd love to give yours a spin to see what Pernambuco adds to the mix.

Here's hoping you'll continue to enjoy this guitar for years to come. Congratulations!

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 07-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
All of the Brondels I have played, including the one I own, have necks that just seem to feel right. All have had excellent set-ups as well. Laurent knows what he's doing in that regard. All of his guitars also seem to be beautifully balanced in all registers. They do have a unique tone to them though. I'd love to give yours a spin to see what Pernambuco adds to the mix.

Here's hoping you'll continue to enjoy this guitar for years to come. Congratulations!
That's what was the initial draw to Laurent's guitars for me... consistency. Laurent is one heck of a player, so he knows how to make them play right. He has also played about a dozen of my guitars over the years, so he knows how I like them setup. This guitar has his "signature" tone, but it has the added benefit of pernambuco over coloring the voice. If you're ever up in central/northern New England, please do not hesitate to reach out. I have quite a few gems you would probably enjoy playing.
FSM
Old 08-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

How's this beauty warming up???
Old 08-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Good. It's really starting to round out and come into its own. She's a great guitar. Between a broken arm, and spending 4-5 days offshore fishing, I have not been playing much and have not been at the AGF all that often with updates.
FSM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop