The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 PM

You're welcome, Glenn, but the real pleasure was hearing you play it...it was wonderful...I LOVED what I was hearing you make it do and what sounds were coming from her...you're amazing...and placing this in your hands was pure heaven...
Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words, Bill -- but really, the pleasure was all mine. Playing your Kostal MD was a great experience. And more than that, getting together with so many interesting people at Matt's house was a great experience. It's always a pleasure meeting up with you again, Bill.

- Glenn
Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Hey Bill....I haven't heard much from you regarding your Kostal MD in the last couple of weeks. How is the guitar changing/opening up for you? I know when we last talked, you were thinking about switching the fossilized ivory pins, nut and saddle out for standard bone. Are you still thinking you will do this? Why or why not? I'm wondering what your thoughts are after spending more time with a changing guitar?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 PM

Sorry for my tardiness. I've been out of town for a while.

My consideration regarding staying with ivory or going to bone had to do with the warm sound I've heard when listening to guitars that use bone, i.e. ivory seems brighter to my ear.

When I first played my MD, I wondered about that brightness...it seemed to have a sharp attack. Yet, as I've played it more, it has begun to open up and the sharpness has evolved more into a nice note separation while yet retaining the piano sound of the chords. My MD definitely has a big sound, and yet I find the mids and highs very strong and not overcome by the bass at all. And, with the note separation when finger picked, I find a very nice balance.

Jason told me I would begin hearing my MD open up, but I had no idea it would happen so soon. I would love to have those who played it at Healdsburg and loved what they were hearing play it now.

I've very much enjoyed hearing songs sound "new" on my MD, and it's a joy to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop