The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 04:37 AM

Default Are your children interested in your guitar “stuff”

I have three wonderful children. They’re well educated, successful, and they each have 2 great kids of their own. So far. So good.

“Problem” is, none of them play any kind of music so all my guitar gear and my wife’s piano will be sold off when we are done with this life gig. We sometimes wish they were into music/showed minimal interest in our instruments but hey, you can’t have it all. Our “legacy” sure won’t be musical!

How about you?
Old 05-23-2018, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

Every time my oldest son comes back from school, he heads to my office and picks up any number of my guitars and plays. And when he wakes each morning at home, he comes down, pours coffee, and again heads to my office.

He is the one of my three that has been bitten by six string love.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:56 AM

My 18 year old has never even held one of my many guitars. There is hope for my 15 year old though. He asked for a bass guitar for Christmas and has been playing it almost every day since. Can't say he is bitten by the bug yet......... baby steps...
Old 05-23-2018, 04:58 AM

When I was married about a hundred years ago my step son learned to play guitar and started writing his own songs and formed a punk rock band while he was in highschool. At the time I was still playing in a working band. He would use my Peavey Classic 50 2/12 combo amp for his band's gigs.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:04 AM
Guitar Gourmet

When my boys were toddlers they could't keep their hands off my stuff. My father and I cut this cab down from a Hammond Tone Cab and it served me for years. Notice the little finger prints all over the cones and the tears in this pic. Now it has three generations of family DNA on it:

The damage was done probably thirty years ago. I couldn't fault my kids too much because I did the same thing to one of my dad's speakers. For Father's day a couple of years ago I received a rebuilt period speaker and we are back in business!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-23-2018, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Four out of my five kids are very musical and talented. I keep a spreadsheet of all my gear and one of the columns is who I want to have it. A couple of them are focused more on guitar and will get more of my guitar stuff. But it will all even out in the end because there are guns, motorcycle, car and other things that will also be divided between them.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

My son is very talented musically. He's has a degree as an audio engineer. He is extremely addicted to music. My grandsons are into music. But my instruments and will probably be sold when I pass. That's okay. I understand because we share some of the same traits.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-23-2018, 05:34 AM

My 13 yr old isn't interested.

My 9 yr old is taking lessons, so yes he likes my gear.

My 6 yr old isn't interested.

Now my 2yr old, well he can't keep his hands off my stuff.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:41 AM

Default kids

I am kind of like the OP - 3 great kids, all of whom love music, and all of whom have played instruments - and don't any longer, not to any extent. It is of course a disappointment, but not all that much. I bought this stuff for me, not for them. they are free to follow their own muse, which is something we taught them.

They think it's neat that I am into music so much and are perfectly good with me getting hundreds of guitars if that was what i wanted. But playing them...not so much.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:03 AM

Daughter played violin since she could walk but had no interest in guitar until in her twenties. Now she takes lessons and seems to enjoy it. Each person has their wants, desires and likes. I have no need or desire to pass along any gear or instruments and have no thoughts or concerns on my passing. When that time comes she’ll be set to buy anything she desires and sell anything she desires.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:04 AM

I'm working on my five year old great niece. In her own words, "I have many songs in my voice," or "I feel it in my heart!"

I wish I could share the videos on my wife's phone of her banging away on an old, unplayable, plastic Maccaferri that I keep out on a stand, improvising lyrics, interspersed with "Let me get her tuned up," or "Take it from the bottom, boys," before striking out on another tune.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:09 AM

My 12 year takes every guitar, chord, wire, pick, etc. I bring into house. I’m down to one guitar. Everything else is in his room. That’s a good thing I believe
Old 05-23-2018, 06:20 AM

I bought 2 guitars made the year my grandsons were born. They're in the will. If they take to playing them earlier, they can have them. If they don't play my wife can sell them off. Since I bought them my other gear is untouched. Time to simplify. Our first granddaughter is due this fall. I guess I'll have to buy another guitar.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:26 AM

My daughter is into music in general and loves all instruments, but her "thing" is the violin. She's 6 and has been playing since age 4. Since she started so early, the movements and fundamentals are second nature. She can learn a new song in a matter of minutes and has really impressed her teacher. The Suzuki method is wonderful for young kids, and I highly recommend this method for young kids.

I did recently buy her a Squier Strat Mini and a little amp because her interest in the guitar seemed to be peaking. However, after a few weeks trying to get the basics down, she simply picked up her violin and sad, "Dad, I think this is my instrument." Couldn't have been more proud.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:37 AM

One of my sons, 25, is very interested in guitar and bass. I recently passed along a Takamine TAN16C to him that he enjoys playing. My youngest son, 21, started playing guitar when he was around 12 but gave it up for piano. He recently started playing guitar again and is enjoying it. Hopefully he will stay at it. I also have 2 daughters that are very good on piano but never had any interest in guitar. At least a couple of my kids may want some of my stuff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion