The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 09:04 PM

Default Picking and flicking..thumb slap-Mayer style

Just venting but it really ticks me off that I can’t figure this out. I’ve playing since the mid 70’s. I don’t suck. But I swear, I cannot get this.

I remember feeling like this when I was trying to learn Travis picking. Then, boom, one day I got it.

I also remember feeling like this when I tried for years to learn clawhammer banjo. Never got it.

Any one else struggle with this before catching it? Please tell me there’s a magic potion I can take!!!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Just venting but it really ticks me off that I can’t figure this out. I’ve playing since the mid 70’s. I don’t suck. But I swear, I cannot get this.

I remember feeling like this when I was trying to learn Travis picking. Then, boom, one day I got it.

I also remember feeling like this when I tried for years to learn clawhammer banjo. Never got it.

Any one else struggle with this before catching it? Please tell me there’s a magic potion I can take!!!

All I can say is I’m glad I’m not the only one. I am an experienced fingerstyle player and I simply can not get the trick to this one! Good luck to you
Old 05-22-2018, 10:07 PM

Ha! What really bugs me is all the yahoos on YouTube who flick away like there’s no tomorrow!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Ha! What really bugs me is all the yahoos on YouTube who flick away like there’s no tomorrow!

I know it! Interesting you should post this today. I was just watching a “Neon” cover, laughing at my inability.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

Glad to know that I have company. I'm a 34 year player, former classical guitar major, Nuevo flamenco performer, and veteran of thousands of gigs as a lead player in country and rock bands. Though I haven't applied my full focus to the style of Mayer, Sheerhan, etc yet... I'm finding it to be much more challenging than I thought it would be to learn it. I'm currently working on these styles with a Roland RC-300 Looper and it's been a refreshing challenge for a guy who'd been in a rut for years. It's been been quite unexpected though that learning "pop" styles would be so challeaging to a guy used to playing the music and styles of Yngwie Malmsteen, Brad Paisley, Strunz & Farrah, Julian Bream, etc. Not that I'm worthy of being compared to those giants, but that's the music that I've played note-for-note over the years.

Not a bragging post... Just an acknowledgement that even pop styles can still humble me. There is no destination... only a journey.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:10 AM

Many people have difficulty with syncopated rhythms. Even very classically trained musicians because the structure has accents falling where they wouldn’t otherwise be found. Many styles of Jazz and Blues use articulated rhythms that have to be felt and performed, not read off a music sheet. When Eric Clapton was studying Robert Johnson’s music preparing to do a cover album of Mr. J’s Music, he said it was the most difficult thing he had ever undertaken because of the unorthodox rhythms Johnson played.

What I advise for people trying to learn styles that are difficult for them is to break it down to one string/note at a time - like the bass line. Learn that perfectly, all the way through, then learn the melody line, all the way through. Then put them together very slowly adding other fingers one at a time. It will take a long time if you’re not one of those it comes naturally to. I have long felt it has more to do with the rhythms you grow up surrounded by, and being able to replicate, rather than an innate ability to learn it.

Anyone can learn anything if enough time is invested. That’s why kids learn faster than adults. They have fewer habits to unlearn to get to their destination.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:54 AM

"picking and flicking" might suggest less noble behaviors. Might the parlance "pluck and chuck" serve better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chUclA53M7g
Old 05-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
"picking and flicking" might suggest less noble behaviors. Might the parlance "pluck and chuck" serve better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chUclA53M7g

Good catch!

I guess if this was a banjo forum, it would pick and roll?
Old 05-23-2018, 10:47 AM

I've learned several of these rhythms over the last few months. I had substantial difficultly getting it.

What really helped me was to use the slow motion feature on youtube.

If you're unaware, you can change the speed of youtube videos by clicking on the little gear-shaped icon in the lower right of the screen. There is a "speed" option, and you can choose between .25, .5, .75, 1, 1.25, 1.5 and 2 times speed.

You can see exactly what the picking mechanics are in slow mo, replicate, then speed it up as your skill improves.

Very helpful for me.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:05 PM

Makes me feel like the old dog that can't learn new tricks. I try it for a while, then roll over and play dead.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

Excuse my ignorance, but if you have a moment could someone please post a YT vid of the technique the OP is referring to. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know the term.

thanks,
scott memmer
Old 05-23-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but if you have a moment could someone please post a YT vid of the technique the OP is referring to. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know the term.
Yes the OP should post a clip to clarify as I am sure people are discussing different things. If he/she *is* referring to the technique in the main riff to Mayer's Neon, then the pluck and chuck tutorial video above is not relevant - there is no flicking of the fingers involved and the thumb technique is not correct either.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:26 PM

Maybe this is helpful?

Old 05-23-2018, 04:09 PM

I've managed to be able to play Stop This Train after watching both of the recommended videos: Pluck and Chuck series as well as the Paul Davids tutorials.
They're both in depth and well done. Highly recommended.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:35 PM

Yup. Watched ‘Em. Still can’t do it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion