The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 11:07 AM

If you are not a member as yet Iwould sign up for the Acoustic guitar Forum.There seem to be quite a few players who busk & they may be able to give you some info.hope it works out for you.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Honestly, I think the van is a terrible idea for someone visiting from outside the country. If you have any interaction with the police, they ask for a local address, and you say you're living in a van, be prepared for a night in jail. And if the local police contact ICE (probably not very likely for a European visitor), explaining to them why you've purchased and are living in a vehicle when your visa only is good for a 90-day stay might get awkward.

I'm also not sure what would be involved in buying, registering, and legally driving a van when you're a non-citizen on a 90-day tourist visa. Same goes for selling it. All that may be okay but, at a minimum, I'd research it thoroughly to be certain that you could take ownership and then sell the van without any visa violations. And insurance companies may not be enthusiastic about covering a vehicle for someone who intends to leave the country in 3 months to return to their overseas home. This is potentially a very risky arrangement for the insurance company. If they are willing to take on that risk, they will likely charge a considerable amount. Potentially, the whole van experience is quite different for a foreign visitor than a US citizen.

Also, obtaining, outfitting, and insuring a van (a) would take a bit of time and (b) may not be an inexpensive proposition. And, while it affords freedom in one sense, it also entails taking on responsibilities that may be burdensome. Parking can be a hassle (and expense), depending on where you go. Selling at the end of the trip is another hassle and timing may constrain your options and make it impossible to "wait for a better offer."

More generally, I think you should thoroughly research any options you consider so that you understand all of their ramifications. It might be worth visiting a US embassy or consular office in the Netherlands to get some input from them. The US and Netherlands are certainly on very good terms and they might actually have ideas that could be helpful, especially if you get lucky and encounter a fellow-musician. Of course, there's also a substantial chance of just getting a bureaucratic run-around. But at a minimum, it would give you some idea of how "official-dom" might react to your plans before you're committed to them.

Just some thoughts to consider.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:59 PM

So many great reponses again! The weird thing is that there are so many different opinions - and that's the reason I want to go to the US - because there are so many different people in that gigantic country!

For the plane ticket to be worthwhile I'll have to stay atleast 6 months, to be honest. So therefore I'll need b2 visa. Ok.

There are a lot of great ideas, like the van, but then someone comes up with all the things that come with owning a van and then I start doubting, haha. But the bus in general seems a great idea.

I think that the best thing is to look up the rules for the next town/city I'm going and then decide if it's a good bet or not.

As for entering the country as a tourist:

- just tell the border police that I'll be traveling around the country and that I'll stop and meet up with people i've met through AGF(hence the guitar and amp) and that we are planning to play together and so fort - good idea? :P

- IF I get approached by a cop who says I can't play here then I will just leave, say sorry blabla and if they ask me for my passport, they see a tourist visa, they tell me I can't play for money(I read someone said not to put a gig bag in front of, good tip), and my reponse will the typical flabberguested face of a tourist who has noooo clueee whatsoever about the rules and just packs his stuff and thanks the cop for being so helpful. And if they are about what my travel purposes are then I will just tell the same story as I told at the border

I've been brainstorming all day about the workers visa and I have an idea. It might be far fetched, so bear with me (and yes: I realllyyyy want to travel the US with my guitar :O :$ :O)

What about an unpaid internship? If I can get someone*(anyone on AGF with their own company or knows someone.. ? ) to just setup a simple contract for 6 months for an internship abroad to get some more experience(I've studied International Business, so it makes sense ), with that contract I can apply for a workers visa, and then show that contract at the border(I've worked/studied in Turkey/South-Africa/Botswana/Namibia and that's how it went iirc, the only thing I had to show was the contract signed by the company/university).

This seems to be the easiest solution for the workers visa. I assume it works like above.

Perhaps someone has experience with foreign workers?

I'm willing to go far..

Hoping to read more insightful comments

I will upload videos on a regular basis; enjoy

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-22-2018 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 05-22-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickb View Post

I've been brainstorming all day about the workers visa and I have an idea. It might be far fetched, so bear with me (and yes: I realllyyyy want to travel the US with my guitar :O :$ :O)

What about an unpaid internship? If I can get someone*(anyone on AGF with their own company or knows someone.. ? ) to just setup a simple contract for 6 months for an internship abroad to get some more experience(I've studied International Business, so it makes sense ), with that contract I can apply for a workers visa, and then show that contract at the border(I've worked/studied in Turkey/South-Africa/Botswana/Namibia and that's how it went iirc, the only thing I had to show was the contract signed by the company/university).

This seems to be the easiest solution for the workers visa. I assume it works like above.

Perhaps someone has experience with foreign workers?

I'm willing to go far..

Hoping to read more insightful comments
I don't think you understand the magnitude of our current immigration climate. Asking someone to do that so you can live in a van and wander around is probably not going to go well.

rct
Old 05-22-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct View Post
I don't think you understand the magnitude of our current immigration climate. Asking someone to do that so you can live in a van and wander around is probably not going to go well.

rct
With an unpaid internship you can get a workers visa, noone cares what you do after that. I've wandered around a whole lot during actual internships. It's just a legit and easy way to get whats required.

That would eliminate the immigration climate issue that you've been, rightfully so, on about :P(?)

I will upload videos on a regular basis; enjoy
Old 05-22-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I don't think you understand the magnitude of our current immigration climate.
I guess I don't, either...

I don't think European tourists with money to spend and a valid VISA are in any danger of an immigration raid.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I guess I don't, either...

I don't think European tourists with money to spend and a valid VISA are in any danger of an immigration raid.
I guess we'll watch all the business owners and companies generously offer to sponsor and work visa this kid so he can come here and not work then, and I'm all wrong.

rct
Old 05-22-2018, 02:02 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
No, you don't have that. Prepare to be viewed, for the most part, most of the time, in most of the big cities on the east coast, as a homeless nuisance, not an artist expressing his creative powers and revealing what he has to give to the world.

Seriously brother, I get that you are young and idealistic and all that stuff, but this is not going to be what you think it is.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with this.

rct
I agree. It's not the best idea.

You might want to re-think this.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-22-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
With an unpaid internship you can get a workers visa, noone cares what you do after that. I've wandered around a whole lot during actual internships. It's just a legit and easy way to get whats required.

That would eliminate the immigration climate issue that you've been, rightfully so, on about :P(?)
Let’s be honest here: this is really a misrepresentation of your reason for entering the country and that’s simply not a good way to start your visit as a guest. With respect to entry you may be making things too hard. Just visit the consulate nearest you, explain exactly what you want to do and then follow their advice. Do not play around with skirting our laws ... that’s inappropriate and disrespectful. I’m sure you can find a way to visit that’s legal.

That said, you may not be able to legally support yourself while here (unless the consulate guides you to some form of work visa) so you might want to scale back your plans and schedule a less expensive and shorter visit. As others have mentioned you’ll find transportation a bigger challenge than most places in Europe.

I’m not trying to discourage you but you need to do this on the level. I’ve had the opportunity to travel extensively (far more than I really wanted) in a past career and I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to respect other nations’ laws, regulations and culture.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I guess we'll watch all the business owners and companies generously offer to sponsor and work visa this kid so he can come here and not work then, and I'm all wrong.
Unsure of what point you're trying to make.

I do not condone anyone (foreign or domestic) swindling the US authorities with falsified documents or misrepresented intentions. 89Bruin nailed it in his response.

That said, if this gentleman gets a legitimate, valid VISA - I don't believe he needs to worry about getting picked up while playing his guitar out in public so long as he adheres to local ordinances pursuant to same.

This discussion is way too close to crossing the political line here on AGF. I'm done.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Unsure of what point you're trying to make.

I do not condone anyone (foreign or domestic) swindling the US authorities with falsified documents or misrepresented intentions. 89Bruin nailed it in his response.

That said, if this gentleman gets a legitimate, valid VISA - I don't believe he needs to worry about getting picked up while playing his guitar out in public so long as he adheres to local ordinances pursuant to same.
That's why I said nothing about anything at all to do with being picked up or anything like that. My post referred to his asking for sponsorship and work visa from a business or company here at the AGF. My comment was entirely on that side of it, the American end of getting this kid here under what would probably be fraudulent conditions.

rct
Old 05-22-2018, 02:49 PM

Is the best of the free life behind us now
Are the good times really over for good? Merle Haggard

Last edited by scriv58; 05-22-2018 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Misquote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
workers visa

Is there any sort of Netherlandish cultural organization that might help you out? I don't know if there'd be any market here for learning Dutch, but maybe. Otherwise, lecturing/giving talks about some aspect of the Netherlands? Getting away from the whole busking around the USA idea, I know.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:09 PM

My advice... don't attempt a visit to the US without access to lots of money. Seriously. Getting sick or injured while visiting Europe is one thing, but in the States it's going to cost you. The month you've chosen is my favorite. In Sept our national parks are recovering from the summer onslaught and would be a big draw for me, but again bring money.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:07 PM

Beyond the valid points already raised about buying, insuring, parking, and selling a vehicle in the space of a year, there is also the cost of maintenance. If you buy something inexpensive, there's a good chance you'll face repairs and routine maintenance, some of which may be very expensive and inconvenient. Plan a realistic budget with all those factors in mind, and you may find this concept may be less economical and more trouble than anticipated.

I'll also reiterate my earlier point about health insurance. Unless your domestic Dutch insurance somehow covers your medical and dental needs in the United States, both routine and emergency, you'll need to plan and budget for U.S. coverage, including for co-pays and deductibles (very common fees which insurance does not cover). In a true emergency, where you find yourself transported by an ambulance, you'll be treated first at a hospital and billed afterwards, but for any other care you're very likely going to be asked to pay in advance or to present evidence that your insurance will pay the fees.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion