The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 04:49 AM

Default Owning Guitars vs. "Owning" Songs

Like most guitarists, there are a lot of guitars out there that I would love to own. However, there are also a lot of songs out there that I would also love to own ("own" in the sense that I could totally master them and wring every drop of musical quality out of them).

Given the choice, I would rather own the songs. The guitars are easier to acquire, but the songs are ultimately what make the journey memorable.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:29 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post

Given the choice, I would rather own the songs. The guitars are easier to acquire, but the songs are ultimately what make the journey memorable.
Truer words were never spoken....

Old 05-21-2018, 05:58 AM

The OP sounds a little self-serving in an info-mercial way (see links), although that's probably not the intent and merely a correlation with his own point of view.

Anyway, there seems to be a tendency to create false dichotomies. Is the tone player or guitar? Wood or builder? Collector or player?

People own, play and or play with guitars for lots of reasons. Certainly I like "owning" a song. I also appreciate guitars for what they are, how they came to be and what they do. The visual aesthetics, the tactile sensation, the subtleties of sound and the deft craftsmanship that went into building it. I don't have to discard any one of those for appreciation of the music, or vice versa.

Does a person only derive the most pleasure from a performance automobile when they're driving it at the limit? or can they appreciate the lines of the body and the design that went into it? Can they appreciate the exhaust note, the engineering of the mechanical components, etc...?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:39 AM

I don't "own" any songs. To me that means every note was perfect.

I have songs I play very well every time (not all), but I don't own them. There is something magical I'm striving for and I sometimes visit that realm for brief moments.

If I actually owned a song it would mean (to me) that what I was playing was too easy for the resources at hand (and I would be bored to death).

That may be taking the concept too literally, but it's fundamentally a concept I don't believe in.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-21-2018, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Gee, I thought all we had to do was polish them, lol.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

The OP is also a performer and you have to "own" the song to a significant degree to be able to perform the song to an audience. Owning a song to me also means you are so comfortable with it that you can easily make variations to it especially when you are playing it live. Just go to a Tommy Emmanuel concert. I've seen him make a mistake and tell the audience after the song was over but you did not hear it in the performance. That's what I call owning the song.

I'm certainly a GAS'oholic but the OP is spot on correct.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 05-21-2018, 07:41 AM

Smile

Quote:
Like most guitarists, there are a lot of guitars out there that I would love to own. However, there are also a lot of songs out there that I would also love to own ("own" in the sense that I could totally master them and wring every drop of musical quality out of them).

Nicely said! On some days I spend too much time on AGF Classifieds or Reverb! Many of us should spend more time playing and less shopping, especially when you we already have a great selection of guitars to play at home.

I rationalize while playing guitar 1-2 hours per day and with years of accumulated effort I have a good dozen or more songs I "own." Thanks
Old 05-21-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
The OP sounds a little self-serving in an info-mercial way (see links), although that's probably not the intent and merely a correlation with his own point of view.

Anyway, there seems to be a tendency to create false dichotomies. Is the tone player or guitar? Wood or builder? Collector or player?

People own, play and or play with guitars for lots of reasons. Certainly I like "owning" a song. I also appreciate guitars for what they are, how they came to be and what they do. The visual aesthetics, the tactile sensation, the subtleties of sound and the deft craftsmanship that went into building it. I don't have to discard any one of those for appreciation of the music, or vice versa.

Does a person only derive the most pleasure from a performance automobile when they're driving it at the limit? or can they appreciate the lines of the body and the design that went into it? Can they appreciate the exhaust note, the engineering of the mechanical components, etc...?
Allow me to explain the thoughts behind my post. This morning I was pondering the guitars I very much would like to obtain (a great Strat, a grat Tele, a great Les Paul, a 335, a Gypsy jazz guitar, a great classical guitar, a double neck pedal steel). I realized this list was a bit daunting, and that while I may over time acquire some of these instruments, if I allowed myself to focus on gear vs. mastering ("owning") the tunes I'm currently working on, that I would be distracted from my primary goal of making music.

I decided this morning to be grateful for the guitars I currently own, and to focus on getting all the music I can out of them. I've been woodshedding quite a bit lately on some tunes I want to record/video, and in some cases thinking I would need to delay the recording/filming until I had the "perfect" guitar for each particular song. However, this morning I decided to not allow guitars that I don't have to delay creating the music I do have, and to focus instead on music vs. instruments.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I am grateful to be able to own some nice instruments and know first hand how hard it is to write a good song. I may not have the talent or discipline to ever bring out the best in my guitars but I appreciate the process of learning to improve and enjoy them more every day.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-21-2018, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Random thoughts .... I look at the term owning differently than the op. To me owning a song means that you have some of yourself in it. Even if you didn't write it but the performing of it. It takes about the same amount of time to purchase a guitar as it does to learn a song. Does a music store owner own all his guitars or does a person need to bond with it to own it? I can play hundreds of songs and learn more. But what for? I only like to play songs that I have something invested in besides time and memory.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-21-2018, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Skills >> guitar collections, all day, everyday, and twice on Sundays.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:04 AM

I know what the OP means and I agree...

I'd much rather own the song.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Allow me to explain the thoughts behind my post. This morning I was pondering the guitars I very much would like to obtain (a great Strat, a grat Tele, a great Les Paul, a 335, a Gypsy jazz guitar, a great classical guitar, a double neck pedal steel). I realized this list was a bit daunting, and that while I may over time acquire some of these instruments, if I allowed myself to focus on gear vs. mastering ("owning") the tunes I'm currently working on, that I would be distracted from my primary goal of making music.

I decided this morning to be grateful for the guitars I currently own, and to focus on getting all the music I can out of them. I've been woodshedding quite a bit lately on some tunes I want to record/video, and in some cases thinking I would need to delay the recording/filming until I had the "perfect" guitar for each particular song. However, this morning I decided to not allow guitars that I don't have to delay creating the music I do have, and to focus instead on music vs. instruments.
Fair enough.

I play guitar as a hobby. I like messing around with the strings and hearing the sounds that come out... Maybe one day I'll put forward the time and effort to learn scales and theory, but life has been in the way up until now.

Although I "own" (i.e.: can play well) quite a few songs, I particularly like to play simple classical pieces. I understand the satisfaction that comes with getting a tune down pat. I have 3 nice guitars that I was able to acquire at reasonable prices. I notice the difference in sound, and the wider dynamics available. I experiment with that a lot, and will pause in the middle of playing just to listen to the harmonics/overtones/whatever of a particular chord. I'll also experiment with that chord. Am I "owning" a piece of music? I don't think so. I am thoroughly enjoying the instrument while I (as I said earlier) mess around with the strings and hear the sounds that come out...
Old 05-21-2018, 12:02 PM

There are a few songs, I think I can say I "own"...

Of course there's a few more that I've probably just "taken hostage"...
Old 05-21-2018, 12:14 PM

I "own" several songs in the semi-literal sense that I wrote, performed and recorded them. And my relationship to them is ever changing and a constant source of joy and amazement. They are not static in the least nor is my understanding of them. It sounds weird but maybe I don't own them at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion