The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-13-2017, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Default NBD bicycle content

Well I finally did, it after owning a Mountain Bike for 12 years but riding exclusively on the road for the last 4 years and looking at rode bikes
I got a new Road/endurance bike today.
It is a 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp which they put on sale today to make way for the 2018's
It has Specialized's proprietary "Future Shock" suspension which is spring dampened above the head tube with 20 mm of travel (so the handle bars are dampened )
Then there is some slight front to rear flexibility in the seat tube which also dampens vibration.
It has Shimano Ultegra derailleurs and 505 shifters
and Shimano 505 hydraulic disk brakes.

It has a more upright (endurance type) riding position than an all out road race bike.
It is also one of Specialized lightest Fact 10 carbon frames, so even with the suspension and disk hydraulic disk brakes it weighs in at about 19 lb's . A little more than 1/2 the weight of my 34 lb. Mountain bike So the hills are going to be much easier to climb.

It has a retro-ish Bright Yellow fade to Red Orange paint job
First ride (other than the store parking lot ) first thing tomorrow

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-13-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:38 PM

Nice!

I too am a mountain biker who has often contemplated taking up road biking. I have two younger friends that do it however and both have been side swiped by people in cars that didn't even bother to stop. Not sure my body would hold up to that.

Enjoy!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:47 PM

I like it.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:48 PM

Slick bike Kev, very nice. I like the thru frame cable routing
Old 09-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Humanist

The future-shock suspension is a cool thing...I rode one of these through last fall & winter.

I started at the medium-spring and then went to the soft-spring...the transition wasn't too jarring (pun intended)...but some riders may need to go heavy to medium to soft.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 09-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Cool bike! My hat off to the OP, Larry P. and others who bike on the road, but I've got to admit that I've crossed over to the bike path side. The joys of mixing it up in traffic have left me over the years. Fortunately, the 50-mile Capital Trail https://www.virginiacapitaltrail.org runs right in front of my gf's condo where I'm currently housesitting....

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-13-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Musical minimalist

Nice looking bike - I've been doing tons of window shopping as well. I picked up a pretty cool 2007 Mongoose full carbon 105 bike in the spring that had hardly been ridden. It's slightly too large for me, even with a shorter stem. I've been thinking about picking something up either now or waiting until spring.
The Kestrel Talon Road Ultegra or RT1000 105 are the front runners at the current discount (there are actually some new 2016's around still) I can't justify an expensive bike like yours as I only normally ride on Sunday mornings given my current parent situation.

There's a Specialized dealer about three blocks from my studio, but they are pretty much straight list price.....can't really do that right now!

Old 09-13-2017, 04:20 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
My hat off to the OP, Larry P. and others who bike on the road, but I've got to admit that I've crossed over to the bike path side. The joys of mixing it up in traffic have left me over the years. Fortunately, the 50-mile Capital Trail runs right in front of my bf's condo where I'm currently housesitting....
Yeah - I'm a strictly paved rail trail guy too - way too many close calls in the past and too many people getting killed around here. Texting/distracted driving isn't helping the situation.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:23 PM

Default NBD bicycle content

Excellent choice. Those bikes are fantastic. I'm jealous. I haven't done much riding on my carbon fiber / ultegra bike since I was hit by a car. Now it just looks fast handing on the wall.

Last edited by martingitdave; 09-13-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Very nice... I like it! I'm a Trek rider these days.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:21 PM
G625 mistral-k

Congratulations on the new wheels!...We ride our Mtn bikes every day when the weather permits. We usually stop in mid November, and then restart again in March, however this year we are considering gearing up for cold winter rides too.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
The future-shock suspension is a cool thing...I rode one of these through last fall & winter.

I started at the medium-spring and then went to the soft-spring...the transition wasn't too jarring (pun intended)...but some riders may need to go heavy to medium to soft.
I will have to keep the spring thing in mind I would guess It might have to with the combination of rider weight and or road conditions yes ? I am now only about 144- 146 depending on dinner

Yes riding on the road is a viable concern. Oddly enough I actually switched to road because of injuries and the constant jarring on the dirt trails . At my age I damage easily and take way longer to mend and feel much more stable on the road.
And then I also have the little flashing LED lights and wear bright colors. Luckily I live on the outskirts of town and there are no busy intersections or huge amount of traffic to worry about, mostly back country roads . And because this area it is one of the most prolific per capita as far as bicyclists the driving public is pretty cognizant and obliging I would put it at 98 to 99%

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-13-2017, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Nice bike! Enjoy in good health.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:31 PM

Yes, good choice. Road, gravel, endurance, climbing - that bike's suited for all. The Swiss rims are pretty good, too; no need to upgrade, as you should, with many bikes.

One of my road bikes is an older Roubaix and it has suffered many off-road indignities, without a whimper. Not ready for disc brakes, but I'd be tempted by the more compliant frame of the newer models, and the wider fork/chainstay, to accommodate wider tires.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Sweet ride! Way to go, Kev.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic