The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-12-2018, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Zoom H5 demo recording - maybe I found it

I recorded this demo clip in our "family room", a 20x18 foot room, carpeted with high ceilings. I usually record in our "computer room" which is 10x12, carpeted with a standard 8 foot ceiling and with me facing the computer in a corner and the zoom off to my right.

I agree with what everyone has said here, a larger room is the way to go. I didn't have to use any noise removal at all in Audacity. A touch of reverb (first setting in this thread) and a low pass filter (just experimenting). The zoom was placed higher and just south of the soundhole. I'm using the built-in mics with the gain at 5+ a bit. I boosted gain after recording.

How does it sound on your end? (besides my "user errors" of body and hand movement). I'm surprised at how good it sounds on my system (5.1 Logitech computer speakers). I think I accidentally did something right,

The downside is my wife wants to take out the rug this summer and put in near indestructible synthetic wood floor (it looks great), but we are going with a large area rug also as our grandsons love to sit on the floor to watch tv.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-12-2018, 03:02 PM

Nice airy, spacious sound - the room certainly seems to have made a positive impact

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 05-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

I think that's the nicest recording I've heard from you. You have a couple of peaky notes (G, G#?) that could be room resonances, or the guitar, or maybe could be tamed by backing the recorder up just an inch or 2, but all in all, a huge improvement.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Nice airy, spacious sound - the room certainly seems to have made a positive impact
It's less work to get a better sound - no noise removal tool used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think that's the nicest recording I've heard from you. You have a couple of peaky notes (G, G#?) that could be room resonances, or the guitar, or maybe could be tamed by backing the recorder up just an inch or 2, but all in all, a huge improvement.
Thanks Doug!

I did another, with a different reverb as suggestion by Derek Coombs in another thread. Here's the first demo with the built-in reverb plugin of Audacity and the 2nd demo for comparison. The second reverb is DX Reverb Lite. I have to tinker with it. The 2nd demo is with the default settings. Seems a touch metallic at points. This is fun stuff to play around with though.

1st Demo:

2nd demo:

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD