The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-27-2005, 08:54 AM

Default Rainsong Jumbo for fingerpicking ?

I love composite guitars, and I play fingerstyle with my bare fingers.
I am ordering a Rainsong Jumbo, the JM1000 , and I guess that this
guitar, due to its shape and the carbon construction, will give me the ringing trebles that I need together with the warm low end that I like.
I have been in doubt for days about ordering a Rainsong OM1000, instead,
i.e. the OM which is "the fingerstyle" guitar in the Rainsong range.
But I have never played one, and I am afraid that it would have a certain lack
of basses.
On the other side, I have heard people who owns the Jumbo who complain because the guitar is too big and not comfortable to play because of its size.
Can anyone who owns a Rainsong Jumbo or OM give me an opinion ?

Thanks !

gerardo1000

Last edited by gerardo1000; 12-27-2005 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Grammar error
Old 12-27-2005, 06:32 PM

I own a WS1000, and the basses boom. I don't know where anyone ever got the idea that Rainsongs lack bass. These guitars are very loud, yet, the trebles and mid-ranges are clear, precise, and they ring on and on. There is nothing muddled about the Rainsong sound. It's extremely clear. I think you will love the jumbo.........As far a "for fingerpicking" goes, I've never been one to have a particular guitar for finger-picking, blue grass, blues, etc. The Rainsongs are great for whatever you want to do....And, so are the Taylors and Martins. Enjoy your Rainsong. They are "top shelf" guitars.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:48 PM

I own a WS-1000 and I've played a OM1000. I really liked the OM, The bass isn't as boomy as the ws-1000, I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but it's a very articulate guitar. I'm not saying that it lacks bass, it's just not as much as the ws-1000. I've never played a JM but I imagine that it would have even more bass or boominess as I described. If you're into fingerpicking i say go with the OM. I'll even admit that my ws isn't as precise as I want it to be sometimes.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 12-27-2005, 11:18 PM

Although I don't own a Rainsong, I do play jumbo guitars. I find that jumbo guitars handle finger picking very well. Also, given the fact that Rainsongs are loud, I don't think you'll have a problem.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:10 AM

William63, this is exactly the idea behind getting a Rainsong Jumbo for fingerpicking. In the Rainsong web site they say that, due to the narrow waist of the Jumbo body, this guitar could be very good for fingertsyle.
More over, because I play with bare fingers, I would take advantage of the added volume of the Jumbo body. Regarding the boominess of the basses, I guess that it should be compensated by the loud and ringing trebles Rainsong guitars are famous for.

gerardo1000

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber