The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-16-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Rainsong and CA, beware !

I have owned three CA guitars and a few Rainsong ( I currently have the new Rainsong Advanced series). They are great instruments. But today I received from Music123 an Emerald Opus X 30. It's an all carbon acoustic/electric guitar made in Ireland. Big size, like a jumbo with a cutaway. Outstanding looks: red top, black sides and back. Parker fretboars with stainless steel jumbo frets. Fantastic playability.
But the best is that... this guitar has an outstanding sound and tone ! I could not believe it when I played the first chord.
It seems that they managed to mix the warmth of CA guitars with the ringing trebles of Rainsong guitars. And the guitar is loud, very loud.
Plugged into an amp, it sounds fantastic too. Guys,I do not work for Emerald guitars (but I admit that I am a fan of graphite/composite guitars). But You should try one of these X30... and judge by yourself.

Gerardo1000
Old 09-17-2005, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000
I have owned three CA guitars and a few Rainsong ( I currently have the new Rainsong Advanced series). They are great instruments. But today I received from Music123 an Emerald Opus X 30. It's an all carbon acoustic/electric guitar made in Ireland.

Gerardo1000
I have read very good reviews of those guitars! Sounds like you've got a good one
Old 09-17-2005, 10:38 PM

what kind of pick up do they have??

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 09-18-2005, 07:40 PM

The Opus X 30 that I have has an LR Baggs L6 saddle/transducer.
It sounds very good, althought I don't like the idea that I cannot replace the saddle if I need it because it is all-in-one with the pick-up. I spoke to Alistair, the head of Emerald guitars, and he told me that since one month they started shipping all their guitars equipped with B-Band pick-ups, because they are less prone to feedback.

Gerardo1000
Old 09-18-2005, 08:48 PM

Gerardo1000: do these guys have a website (Emerald)? Or do you have a link, or pix of this? Just curious. Thanks!

Did a websearch after I posted (guess I was being lazy)-anyway, for other curious types like me: http://emeraldguitars.com/

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 09-19-2005, 05:37 AM

Alistair says that the LB6 is more feedback prone than the B-Band UST? That's curious and surprising. I've used each model pickup in several guitars. The B-Band UST has always seemed a bit more feedback prone to me, but then I've never used them in the same guitar. Alistair should be in a good position to know which pickup is less feedback prone in the Emerald guitars.

Gary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber