The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-18-2020, 01:09 PM
Robin, Wales Robin, Wales is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Snowdinia, Wales
Posts: 273
Default Installing K&K pure mini on Seagull S6

Quick question,

Has anyone installed a K&K pure mini on a Seagull S6? Any issues I should consider before doing so (such as bracing in the way of perfect placement etc?).

Thanks,

Robin
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-18-2020, 01:20 PM
llew llew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 9,456
Default

I have the K&K Mini in all of my guitars but I have my luythier/tech do the installs. I doubt you'll encounter any bracing issues. The only problem I heard of was a bridge plate that was too narrow to accommodate the three 15mm disc's. It's rare but can happen. I'm not familiar with the Seagull guitars so I can't say for sure but I bet you'll be fine. Maybe someone who has done it will chime in? Best of luck!
__________________
Jim
You can never do the wrong thing by doing the right thing...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-18-2020, 01:51 PM
ljguitar's Avatar
ljguitar ljguitar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: wyoming
Posts: 39,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Quick question,

Has anyone installed a K&K pure mini on a Seagull S6? Any issues I should consider before doing so (such as bracing in the way of perfect placement etc?).

Thanks,

Robin
Hi R, W

I've never installed a K&K, but I had one installed in my S6 and have seen plenty of other Seagull S6 guitars with K&Ks in them. I know the local 'installer' and he's never complained of any issues with them.




__________________
Larry J

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-18-2020, 04:33 PM
Robin, Wales Robin, Wales is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Snowdinia, Wales
Posts: 273
Default

Thanks for your replies,

It looks pretty straightforward and sounds as if there are no show stoppers on an S6, so I'll get one ordered.

Robin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-18-2020, 05:45 PM
fitness1's Avatar
fitness1 fitness1 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Central Lower Michigan
Posts: 18,823
Default

I've never heard of any steel strings that don't have enough room on the plate for the mini - there could be.

One trick I learned - just take a piece of paper and push it up into the bridge plate so there are creases around the edges/braces/pin holes. When you pull it out you'll easily be able to see if there's room.
__________________
"One small heart, and a great big soul that's driving"

Charis SJ Koa/BC Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Cordoba Solista EIR/Euro Spruce

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-18-2020, 06:32 PM
ljguitar's Avatar
ljguitar ljguitar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: wyoming
Posts: 39,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I've never heard of any steel strings that don't have enough room on the plate for the mini - there could be.

One trick I learned - just take a piece of paper and push it up into the bridge plate so there are creases around the edges/braces/pin holes. When you pull it out you'll easily be able to see if there's room.
Hi f1

I have a Bashkin OM with fanned frets and it would have been too tight to do the new spacing (which K&K started recommending around 2010). It was super tight in the old recommendation. My Bashkin has a smaller-than-usual bridge plate.

I think there's room to play there anyway. The Seagull S6 has no issues.



__________________
Larry J

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…

Last edited by ljguitar; 02-29-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-21-2020, 03:34 AM
Robin, Wales Robin, Wales is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Snowdinia, Wales
Posts: 273
Default

Quick Update,

I have fitted the K&K pure mini to my Seagull S6. There was plenty of room on the bridge plate for the elements.

I followed the instruction booklet to the letter (including using a 12mm forstner bit for the jack plug, and recommended gel superglue for installation rather than tape) and I'm getting a nice strong and balanced signal across the strings. The installation is a little complex (but achievable), and I did practice each stage; including testing the p/u elements before fitting and drilling a piece of scrap wood to double check the forstner bit was sharp and matched the jack size. It was worth reading all the way through the instruction book before starting because there are some tips for installation later in the leaflet you would miss if you just sequentially followed the instructions.

The installation instructions are available on the K&K website so you can read them before buying the pick-up to decide if it's a job for you or a guitar tech.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-21-2020, 07:31 AM
Rudy4 Rudy4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I've never heard of any steel strings that don't have enough room on the plate for the mini - there could be.

One trick I learned - just take a piece of paper and push it up into the bridge plate so there are creases around the edges/braces/pin holes. When you pull it out you'll easily be able to see if there's room.
There's at least one Martin model that has a small bridge plate (I seem to remember it being an OM?) that technically is too small for the K&K Pure Mini recommended installation. It has come up several times in discussions here.

I remember that users had to leave a portion of each transducer hanging over the bridge plate to install them.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-25-2020, 02:52 PM
lowrider lowrider is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3,450
Default

I just installed a JJB in my Martin Road Series using this method;

https://guitarbear.wordpress.com/201...-prestige-330/

I did use two chopsticks instead of using my bridge pins to line it up and it worked like a dream. I did a dry run without the pickup. Then used bluetack to and did another dry run. Then put the super glue gel on the sensors and stuck them in place.

It worked like a dream. I think it's easier to do all at once than doing them separately.

It sounds great through my Fishman Loudbox Mini. I couldn't be happier. Soon I'll do the same in my CS J-17.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-28-2020, 04:32 PM
Petty1818 Petty1818 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,323
Default

A bit off topic but I have a K&K in my Larrivee OM-03. I usually only use that guitar at home so I really have never taken much time to play around with the pickup. In my Taylor however, I have easily tried ten different pickups but never the K&K (not sure why). Long story short, I played the Larrivee today and the K&K really is a fantastic pickup. It has a nice woody and warm tone and really reacts well to dynamic playing. I am definitely putting one in my Taylor. I think it will also be a great match for that guitar as it has a brighter tone.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-29-2020, 09:29 AM
ljguitar's Avatar
ljguitar ljguitar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: wyoming
Posts: 39,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
A bit off topic but I have a K&K in my Larrivee OM-03. I usually only use that guitar at home so I really have never taken much time to play around with the pickup. In my Taylor however, I have easily tried ten different pickups but never the K&K (not sure why). Long story short, I played the Larrivee today and the K&K really is a fantastic pickup. It has a nice woody and warm tone and really reacts well to dynamic playing. I am definitely putting one in my Taylor. I think it will also be a great match for that guitar as it has a brighter tone.
Hi Petty

I had a Taylor 714ce (Rosewood/Cedar top) which my gigging partner bought from me 18 years ago (it's now 21 yrs old). He put in a K&K and it sounds great. I've heard plenty of Taylors with K&K Pure Mini in them and they sound nice.

All pickups have characteristics (limitations and strengths) and my first thought if I'm mixing and someone shows up with a K&K and no preamp is, loan them a preamp, trim the bass and low mids, and boost the trebles slightly.

I don't do that without listening to the guitar through the system, but that tends to be the 'treatment' that is a given as a start point. I also find the K&K Pure mini pretty forgiving. They sound very acoustic-like in most guitars through most PA systems.



__________________
Larry J

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-29-2020, 10:00 PM
Petty1818 Petty1818 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Petty

I had a Taylor 714ce (Rosewood/Cedar top) which my gigging partner bought from me 18 years ago (it's now 21 yrs old). He put in a K&K and it sounds great. I've heard plenty of Taylors with K&K Pure Mini in them and they sound nice.

All pickups have characteristics (limitations and strengths) and my first thought if I'm mixing and someone shows up with a K&K and no preamp is, loan them a preamp, trim the bass and low mids, and boost the trebles slightly.

I don't do that without listening to the guitar through the system, but that tends to be the 'treatment' that is a given as a start point. I also find the K&K Pure mini pretty forgiving. They sound very acoustic-like in most guitars through most PA systems.



Thank you! I definitely feel as though the K&K will really match my Taylor well. I am also going to use the Tonedexter. I tend to set the blend a bit lower than most but if it can add a bit more of a mic-like quality then I will be happy.

I find when I do use my Larrivee, I approach the eq the same way. I tend to like a boomy bass so I often leave that but I definitely cut some mids and boost the treble a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-17-2020, 09:31 PM
62caster 62caster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 21
Default

Installed a set in my S6. Easy and sounds great.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=