The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-12-2020, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Default Wild Billy's Circus Story

It's funny where we take our inspiration. Early this morning, I listened to Glennwillow's incredible video recording of Bruce Springsteen's "I'm On Fire". Glenn is a REALLY talented guitarist and singer, and bass player and keyboard player as it turns out, and really knows how to arrange and record in a really refined and impressive way too. I was blown away by his performance and recording. I suggested he try a couple of Bruce tunes that I suspect are less in his wheelhouse, but I'll bet he'd do wonders with them anyway.

Well, I have NONE of those things going on! I'm basically a hacker who loves playing and singing as much as anyone, but have never gotten even remotely good at either. I'm only a half bad electric blues player, but on acoustic I basically just strum crudely and sing far, FAR more crudely than that. I'm learning some blues fingerpicking, but haven't gotten far with it it at all. And, you know, I've only been at this for 40 years on and off (in my defense, lots of off), so I'm sure my big breakthrough will come any day now! I am what I am and I'm OK with it, but it's nothing to brag about...

So, of course I decided to try recording a Bruce song I've long loved but only recently started trying to play - one of those I suggested Glenn give a try. So, this should go well! Well, armed with a Spire Studio and it's onboard condenser mic, my Emerald X7, and my warbley at best "voice", I took a shot at it. It's one of Bruce's funkiest, goofiest, saddest, creepiest, and just generally weird little tunes. So it suits me!

I know if I wait until tomorrow and listen to it again, I won't put it up. But it took me about three tries to get one without any huge flubs in it. So here it is, fwiw. I look forward to Glenn's version!

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 05-28-2021 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Updated file.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Ah, cool, Ray!

You did a good job on this! This totally works!

I don't know why I should bother trying to cover this! You've already done this better than I could! This song fits you!

Good for you, Ray!

- Glenn
Old 01-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

I really like that, Ray! I’ve been listening to that tune for over 40 years and from the very first line in your vocal I said to myself, he has a real feel for that song. Well done! In fact, if you ever remix it bring the vocal up a little bit
Old 01-12-2020, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

You guys are too kind. In terms of the mix, it's just a single track recording, so not much to work with!

-Ray
Old 01-13-2020, 11:15 PM

Hi Ray. This is the first time that I’m hearing this song. I’ve heard of Bruce Springsteen and heard that he’s “The Boss” (hope I’m remembering correctly).

You did a pretty good job in your singing and playing! You chose a song and key (range) that suited your voice.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 01-14-2020, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool555 View Post
Hi Ray. This is the first time that I’m hearing this song. I’ve heard of Bruce Springsteen and heard that he’s “The Boss” (hope I’m remembering correctly).

You did a pretty good job in your singing and playing! You chose a song and key (range) that suited your voice.
Yes, he was "The Boss". He's still making music but I think he may have retired from his supervisory position though...

This was early Bruce, from his second album, about 1974. His first two albums are my favorites, even though I like the vast majority of the stuff he's done. This is a really obscure little song that I just love for how funky and otherworldly it is - I don't think it follows a single convention, with lots of stops and starts and shifting rhythms.

I appreciate the kind words. I don't think there IS a key or range that suits my voice, but if there is, maybe it's somewhere in this neighborhood...

Here it is done right, with tubas and accordions and a lot more wonderful vocal funk than I can bring to it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM8XT4Qk1bQ

-Ray
Old 01-18-2020, 02:54 AM

Default Wild Billy's Circus Story

Thanks for the video! It’s nice although it’s not the genre of songs that I listen to or play on the guitar.

Just a suggestion. I think the song “Streets of London” may suit your voice.

Let’s hear one more from you!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell