The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-03-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
What does wet and dry mean? I always thought of it as two things, wet = reverb deley chorus type pedals or that wet/dry blend is the blend that goes into the amp regardless of what pedals they are. Like for example set all the way over to dry is just your guitar tone but then as you move over to wet you start to let your pedal board through. But you seem to be using the terms differently?
Well more or less yes differently (because of the "Two Amp" delineation and configuration of my system) , But still basically the same overall concept with some caveats based specifically on there being "two amps" in the system as opposed to one amp and it being a parallel FX application as opposed to a series FX application .

Yes you are correct in general in recording or performing live with electric amp "Dry" basically means no additional signal processing of any kind (especially in recording/mixing ) ...... And "Wet" means additional processing.

And yes "wet/dry blend" is the amount of "processed signal' in relation to unprocessed and like you say the term is most commonly applied too and used for (time domain effects) like reverb and delay.

So here is the difference: This blend of wet and dry signals can be accomplished in one of two ways... It can done be in series, or in parallel ....

In series the processed signal is blended directly into the original dry signal , and what hits the speaker is the blend (This is what always happens in a single amp system regardless of whether the FX is being fed into the front of the amp, or is fed in via a FX send and return loop on the amp)

Parallel means both the unprocessed (Dry) signal and the processed (Wet) are hitting the speaker/s (or in this two amp system ) The dry signal is going to one amp and speaker, and the wet signal is going to the other "discretely"

And in this situation of two amps, the terms wet and dry are referring to the the difference in the what the FX do to signal , and are designating Wet FX as being specifically time domain like Reverb and delay (that diffuse the original signal and tend to soften and cloud the transient attack ) and the Dry effects as being things like gain and boost, that do alter the signal but do not tend to diffuse the signal transient attack of the clean signal .

And that is why in my system list the Compressor, the the two boost and drive pedals are designated as dry FX and the Time domain Fx are designated as the wet FX

What it boils down to is :: you can use much more wet FX's like reverb delay ,etc on the wet amp side , but still get all the initial transient attack (what people like about "Clean" hitting the dry amp side .
Make sense ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-03-2020, 10:28 AM

Got ya yeah that's cool. I am thinking about setting up a two amp system too.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Got ya yeah that's cool. I am thinking about setting up a two amp system too.
That’s particularly fun through a stereo delay — preferably a stereo tape delay!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars