The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-06-2015, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Default What does "slab-cut" mean?

I've been reading on arch tops. About the woods and making, etc. I've come across guitars that are (I think) laminates but the wording used is made from "slab cut maple". What does this "slab cut" mean? How does it related to lamination of woods? thanks,
Old 07-06-2015, 07:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktrav View Post
I've been reading on arch tops. About the woods and making, etc. I've come across guitars that are (I think) laminates but the wording used is made from "slab cut maple". What does this "slab cut" mean? How does it related to lamination of woods? thanks,
"Slab-cut - a plank with growth rings roughly parallel to the wider face."

How does it relate to laminating wood?

It has nothing to do with it. You can laminate any cut of wood grain.

Many early Gibson mandolins have solid carved slab-cut backs.

Here's a visual representation to show the difference between quarter sawn & slab cut: http://www.lutherie.net/neckbillet3.jpg
HE
Old 07-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I appreciate your answer, but am still a little confused. For instance, a 1952 ES-150 Gibson is laminated (I thought) but as you will read in this site (https://www.archtop.com/ac_52ES_150.html) It talks about a slab cut of maple. Confusing to me. thanks, J.C. Bryant (arktrav)
Old 07-06-2015, 12:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I appreciate your answer, but am still a little confused. For instance, a 1952 ES-150 Gibson is laminated (I thought) but as you will read in this site (https://www.archtop.com/ac_52ES_150.html) It talks about a slab cut of maple. Confusing to me. thanks, J.C. Bryant (arktrav)
Correct. It's laminated, meaning it's made from veneer. What you see on the back, or the top, is the top veneer, and THAT veneer was sliced from a slab-cut block.

Have you ever seen the Gibson J-160E that John Lennon used to play? It has a laminated top. The veneer that you see was sliced from a quarter sawn log, and then glued to a couple of other substrate veneers.

Simple.

Gibson used to call that stuff 'Select spruce', instead of just saying it was laminated.

HE
Old 07-06-2015, 12:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

JC,
Also keep in mind the term 'arched' is often used instead of 'laminated steam pressed', as with veneers. A real archtop acoustic guitar will be carved from a book matched block, and will always say 'carved', and they just do NOT use carved maple for tops!

HE
Old 07-06-2015, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

okay, thanks Howard, I'm a little thick but I believe I understand now. I appreciate you information very much.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
okay, thanks Howard, I'm a little thick but I believe I understand now. I appreciate you information very much.
JC,
The 'confusion' you're feeling is because Gibson doesn't say that it's laminated.

Using 'buzz' words is a very useful tactic when it comes to writing product copy, unfortunately.

When my friend's sloppy strumming wore a path through the top layer on his J-160E, I was able to clearly see the cross-grain under the spruce veneer. THEN I understood what 'select spruce' really meant!

HE
Old 07-07-2015, 06:31 AM

Default Percolating

Its been a long time Howard...

Thought I'd bubble up to the surface and say hello!

D
Old 07-07-2015, 06:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizala View Post
Its been a long time Howard...

Thought I'd bubble up to the surface and say hello!

D
Hey Ziz! Long time indeed!
So how'd I do with my explanation? I defer to your supreme depth of Gibson arch top knowledge, always!
Be well,
HE
Old 07-07-2015, 01:21 PM

Howard--You wrote: ""Slab-cut - a plank with growth rings roughly parallel to the wider face." ... Here's a visual representation to show the difference between quarter sawn & slab cut: http://www.lutherie.net/neckbillet3.jpg"

But when I clicked on the lutherie.net link, it looked to me that the headings for quartered and slab cut diagrams were reversed. I.e., the growth ring lines in the quartered piece ran parallel to the wider face, of both the plank and the arch wedge.

Did I ge this totally wrong? Any light you can shed ... All best, Richard
Old 07-08-2015, 04:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
Howard--You wrote: ""Slab-cut - a plank with growth rings roughly parallel to the wider face." ... Here's a visual representation to show the difference between quarter sawn & slab cut: http://www.lutherie.net/neckbillet3.jpg"

But when I clicked on the lutherie.net link, it looked to me that the headings for quartered and slab cut diagrams were reversed. I.e., the growth ring lines in the quartered piece ran parallel to the wider face, of both the plank and the arch wedge.

Did I ge this totally wrong? Any light you can shed ... All best, Richard
Hi Richard,
I sort of understand your confusion, but you have to ignore the fact that they're showing a neck blank. Clearly the 'wider face' on a neck blank is its height from heel cap to fingerboard.

Just imagine the drawing on the left being wider, and then the top of it being carved as a guitar back, and then you can visualize semi-concentric rings occuring.

HE
Old 07-09-2015, 06:43 PM

Hi Howard--OK, totally get it now! Thanks for the clarification. I was worried for a moment! -- R.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:22 PM

If you take a wooden baseball bat in your hands, rotate the bat until you are looking at the lable
Lable up= flatsawen

Turn rotate bat 90 degrees left or right = quarterswan
Old 08-26-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis66 View Post
If you take a wooden baseball bat in your hands, rotate the bat until you are looking at the lable
Lable up= flatsawen

Turn rotate bat 90 degrees left or right = quarterswan
That's a great visual. Never thought of that!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:35 PM

It is about how the log is milled once harvested.

Slab cut, or flat cut as it is sometimes called, is a method where the complete log is simply sliced, as a whole, into boards one after another. This maximizes the widths of the greatest number of boards. But, the orientation of the grain is ignored. This is how building lumber is milled.

Quarter sawn is when you quarter the log and then slice it at a 45 degree angle to the quartering cut. This minimizes the widths of the boards produced but produces the tightest grain possible across the majority of the lumber. This typically is the most desirable for tone wood and aesthetics.

You sometimes will see "rift" cut as well. This is kind of a combination. The results are a compromise of grain and width.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops