The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-31-2001, 07:58 AM

Cool Crossing over

While I have been playing rock and Gospel all my life and Ive never been one for country music Ive recently found I play it quite well. I do write country songs for a few artist and some of my work is heard daily. I was with friends playing recently and found that Country Music was "my thing" as far as playing and singing goes. While Country music has never been my thing I enjoy doing things I am good at. Will it grow on me, why can I write it when its not my thing and why can I play it so well when its not my thing. Or is it my thing I just dont know it. I will never give up the Gospel music as its a passion but Im thinking heavy about the country music. Have any of you fased the same problem? Confused.. JW
Old 10-31-2001, 01:30 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Hey JW,
How are ya?
Anything I've ever written has not generally been approached from a standpoint of what style it would be considered, perhaps I should be but I don't have people coming to me asking for me to write them a song to record. In any case I wouldn't let the style or category thing hang you up. Submit the songs to whichever artists you feel will do a good job or whichever label or publisher has done a good job for you.
Which songs that we are hearing are yours?....please share
Old 10-31-2001, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Hey JW, I would be elated to have anything recorded in the country world. I grew up in a country/bluegrass home but ended up spending years in the rock world. I consider it wasted time. I am much more comfortable writing and singing country and I feel closer to it. You should run with what you are good at especially if you are having success at it. I tried to get in the N-ville scene by way of Taxi out of Las Angeles. Another waste of time. I'm glad to know that one of the forum members has what it takes to run with the big dogs. Congratulations.
Old 10-31-2001, 03:14 PM

Cool

Are you talking about the "new" country sound or are you talking about real country music?

I've never been a huge country fan but I do like a lot of the old stuff (50's & 60's)and the newer stuff that sounds like traditional country music. (George Strait, Dwight Yokum, Clint Black, etc.)

To me, there's not a lot of stretch from gospel to old-style country to folk music. If you dig one you shouldn't have much trouble liking all three.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:04 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptBill:
<STRONG>Hey JW,
How are ya?
Anything I've ever written has not generally been approached from a standpoint of what style it would be considered, perhaps I should be but I don't have people coming to me asking for me to write them a song to record. In any case I wouldn't let the style or category thing hang you up. Submit the songs to whichever artists you feel will do a good job or whichever label or publisher has done a good job for you.
Which songs that we are hearing are yours?....please share</STRONG>
While what I write doesnt start out country it always turns out on that note. Ive been recording some stuff today just for playback and must admit it sounds better than I thought. Im really confused but it sparks that old flame back up.
Due to legalities I cant mention what Ive already sold. Maybe 1 out of every two hundred songs I submit ever makes it to a chart and the artist may change a few words and call it his. While this sounds kinda crappy all my songs are purchaced wheather they make it or not. At $400 dollars a song
it adds up. Ive written a song in 15 minutes some take days.I may write a song while Im porting heads or riding down the road. I will be out of contract 3/02 which ends a 5 year up down relationship and I will be able to publish my own stuff(ready to go) Sometimes Im contacted by a rep and asked to write on a paticular subject.($2500) Like a 66 corvette or something. JW
Old 11-01-2001, 06:38 PM

JW, I wouldn't worry about it. I've never written any songs that are worthwhile, but I've always felt my voice was suited to country, even though it's never been my first listening choice.

The way I see it, folk, rock and country are all related, and there's been a lot of cross-polonization over the years, so who's to say what "your" music is? Think back to the rockabilly of the 50s, the Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo, and early records from James Taylor, the Eagles, etc., and you may find your own country roots. Besides, a lot of what's called country these days is really just rock & roll with a twang. I say go with the flow.
Old 11-10-2001, 11:37 AM

Hi JW,

I know it sounds trite to say this, but to me writing and playing both come from the inside and go out.

Every "style" of music has a built-in aura -- it's science, it's art, it's emotion, and a style all it's own. When I play a bouree by Bach on my classical, I "feel" a certain way, and when I play country it's the same. I love to hear the contrapunal bass and the mathematically perfect rolling melodies of the Bach bouree, and I have actually slobbered on my upper bout while diggin' in and pounding out the rhythm to Alan Jackson's version of "Pop-a-Top".

The words and/or the music work together to express emotions and feeling. I think that for most of us, our emotions dictate the manner in which we play in "private", or in your case, JW, and for all who write, the manner and mood in which you "create in private" -- which is different than doing a piece at a gig.

So, I offer, that perhaps your personal feelings are much more in tune (excuse the pun!) with the poetic and emotional expressiveness and tonal resolutions found in this style.

I love country too. My car radio is always on country. But I still get emotional satisfaction out of many kinds of music. From Traditional Irish and bluegrass, to hard drivin' pure rock and classical -- it's all about how I feel.

Go with your feelings, JW. Music is one area where apriory rules over the priory.

-grm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell