The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-13-2001, 06:43 PM

I don't know how to 'esplain how I do it... but over the years I have somehow been able to hammer and pull-off under a barred chord. Usually it requires being very selective about what strings I strike. And sometimes since the pull-offs are obviously done as I am "leaving" that chord, I may use whatever finger is handy to accomplish it. (this doesn't sound very scientific does it....?)

Bob
Old 11-13-2001, 08:31 PM

Bob -
That's amazing! I think doing it automatically without really being able to explain how means it's just become a natural motion for you. Who says it has to be scientific. Guitar playing is an art, not a science. Anyway, I still can't do a hammer on or pull off under a barred cord. Woe is me, something else to try to learn! Havin' fun though!!
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 11-14-2001, 12:34 AM

I've seen a number of *wow* players who used their thumbs with great ease and dexterity. Looked funny at first, but the sound is what matters.
There's a little ditty that I play using my thumb on the E string. Just seems easier to finger. When I get to the end, the final chord is G. It feels like I don't have enough time to get my fingers around for the "proper" fingering, so I zip my first finger over the top to play the B. How's that for improper?
To switch back and forth, I kind of roll my wrist more towards the top for the thumb usage.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Noflatpick:
<STRONG>I normally play F as a full barre chord, using my index finger across all six strings.

But...

I took a class in Delta-style blues picking, ala Robert Johnson, Mississppi John Hurt, etc. and it's very necessary to fret with your thumb when playing that style of music. Not just the low E string but sometimes the A and D also, up and down the neck.

It's much faster than laying your finger across all the strings and in that style of music your other four digits are busy with other things.

I also took a class in Merle Travis' Kentucky Thumb-picking style and for the first time in my life I had a guitar-related blister on the inside of my left thumb clear up where it joins my palm. Hurt like hell to play with it like that until I wrapped my upper thumb with adhesive tape.

I thought about putting in for the Guitar Players Purple Heart. </STRONG>
You should check this guy out. Solid fingerstyle blues player. Last two CDs has MJH and Blind Willie McTell covers.

Peter Keane

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 11-14-2001, 01:22 PM

Cool

Hey Dad: Thanks for the heads-up on Keane. I've heard his name before but never listened to any of his music.

After just now listening to several samples on Amazon I ordered two of his CDs.

That's mighty good stuff.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:16 AM

I have relatively long and skinny fingers with big callouses and I am able to play the F chord (as well as the other ones up the neck) by using my index finger on the first and second strings, my second finger (ring)on the third string, my third finger (middle) on the fourth and fifth strings and then use my thumb on the sixth. This leaves my pinky finger open to do the variations.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:34 AM

I'm depressed, Apparently I am digitally challenged as my stumpy thumb would never reach around a neck to play a string. (unless the neck was 1 inch wide and the strings were an 1/8"apart)

My appendages are way to short...which is more information than you guys need to know.

I have a fine collection of dust mites.
Old 11-29-2001, 01:30 PM

Cool

I think I heard about your short appendages on the Montel Williams show. Or was it on Maurey Povitch? Paul Harvey?

I can't remember where I heard it, but most everybody knows about it.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:33 PM

....yeh

but notice you said appendageS!!!!

Old 11-29-2001, 03:55 PM

Cool

I think they have a pill for that now,hehe! JW
Old 11-29-2001, 04:03 PM

Heck - I had mine taken out years ago!

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell