The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-30-2009, 03:40 AM

Default reflex

I've struggled with it for a long time ever since I heard mississippi john hurts stagolee. Couldn't do it, gave it up many times. I thought you had to have two brains or something or something in your dna to be able to do that. Then I read somewhere it has to become a reflex were you don't have to think about it anymore. It goes to the spinal chord and back and not so much to your brain anymore. Maybe that's the muscle memory thing. I tried practicingthe melody and thumb parts seperate but combining them didn't work afterwards. You just have to practice the complete thing together at a slow pace and at one time it just clicks. And after you managed to get a few songs you subconsciously start to combine stuff or find your own favorite tricks. First I had the dead thumb (mance lipscomb, Lightning hopkins thing down pretty good and then I started trying the alternating stuff. A good way is to start with dropped d or open tuning cause your left hand hasn't have to do a lot of stuff. And now I finally managed to play stagolee (with the help of a stefan grossman dvd. It's still sloppy. Not so much the timing but more hitting strings you don't want. After i get this down I'll move on to songs in c. Cause there you have to place more fingers and the left hand gets more of a workout.
What I'm trying to say afterthis long post. Try to play the songs in a slow fashion all together (rythm and thumb) At one point it just starts to click. Believe me,I was (and you will be too) the happiest man on earth when I discovered I could actually pull it off.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:18 AM

Thumbs up Thanks Lampens

That message in your post, to .. play things slowly and it's wonderful when it finally comes around for you, .. is what has kept me from dropping the guitar again this time around. (I tried a decade ago!)

Like another poster mentioned in his "Frustrations" post, I had to share a bit of info on playing very, very slowly. I have trouble with that. It's difficult but I have to keep reminding myself. This stuff takes time.

You put it down very well!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:22 PM

Default yeah

Yeah. It took me almost 17 years after hearing mjh to get it down but that was because I didn't stuck with it. After I picked it back up again about a half year ago (mind you, I don't play everyday so it can be faster lol) and really gave it a try it worked. It's frustration, but just keep at it and with the help of youtube and some good instruction dvd's to help out I got it. I still suck, but I can pull the easy stuff off. Now I pick stuff up much faster so I can progress to tougher stuff. You can do it too.

It's like with the smokestack lightning riff of Howlin wolf with a steady bass.You have to slide one note in just ahead of time (just before the bassnote) I couldn't do it, always messed up the bass note or the slide. Pinch the two together or weird out of time. Just tried it constantly very slowly and then the timing just clicked. Now I can't even do it the wrong way anymore lol.

Persistence, it pays off eventually.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Something else that may be helpful

Another thing that helps finger coordination is a relaxed brain. My teacher, Kay Eskenazi, shared with me that it can be helpful when you are learning a new piece or a section to start with the last measure and then add the measure before it and play those two measures until you feel like you have it, then add the next previous measure until you work your way to the beginning of the piece or section. The philosophy of this is that when you start at the beginning, the brain and the fingers are always going from the known to the unknown, which causes stress. Starting with the end and adding previous measures creates a situation where the brain and fingers are moving from the unkown to the known which aids in being more relaxed, and fosters better learning both in terms of muscle memory and gray matter memory.

I have used this technique and it has helped me to learn a piece more efficiently and more musically as well as easier for my fingers to get coordinated.

Make sense? Try it and see if it works for you.

Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 07-30-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Cleaned up the typos!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:12 PM

Actually , that makes my brain hurt just thinking about it. I am glad it works for you but I might learn it backwards.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default I know what you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Memphis View Post
Actually , that makes my brain hurt just thinking about it. I am glad it works for you but I might learn it backwards.
Believe me - it is much easier to do than to explain. I re-read my post and MY brain started to hurt!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:25 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-08-2023 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:03 AM

From my own experience, I think guitarists go after this style the wrong way. they try to play solo and then fit a steady bass. It doesn't work this way.
You can see the error when they make a tempo mistake and still trying to hold on the solo notes while skipping the bass line. This is the bad, upside down approach as if a drummer or bass player have to listen to solo guitarist and play to their rythm not the other way around.

For this style you have to PLAY the steady bass line then fit in the solo - and if in tight spot you can actually skip the solo notes (many good player do here and there), but never the bass line. Steady rhythm.

I would suggest simply forget the solo line, play the steady rhythm and when it become natural try to fit the solo there.

Metronome is an essential tool that will help you to advance 10x.
-Takamine AN10
- My own build DeJonge Standard Steel String
- My own build Santos Hernandez cypress flamengo
- My own build Bubinga Tornavoz classical
- My own build Hammered Dulcimer
- My own build Travel Guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write