The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-09-2021, 04:12 AM

Default larrivee om03mh

just got this amazing mahogany guitar. it sound great and good price for the quality. larrivee site says it has 2-1/4 string spacing but i measure little over 56 mm at the saddle, maybe in the 2011 this was the string spacing?
also i love the satin finish, it is loud, do you think lack of finish could affect the volume?
thanks
Old 05-09-2021, 05:33 AM

I have two Larrivees with satin finish and I don’t think it affects the volume at all. I played two different Larrivees at the music store yesterday, a gloss SD-44RE and a satin OM-O3 and I think any volume difference is due to the design of the guitar more so than the finish.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:04 AM

Congrats! My OM-03 is a workhorse! It does so many things well. I am partial to believing the finish plays a difference, but that may just be wishful thinking. Either way, they’re incredible! Enjoy every note!
Old 05-09-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Congrats! My OM-03 is a workhorse! It does so many things well. I am partial to believing the finish plays a difference, but that may just be wishful thinking. Either way, they’re incredible! Enjoy every note!
Hey Matt, I played an OM-03 yesterday for the first time and I was impressed, even with old strings on it. It had plenty of volume and the tone was rich. Larrivee does something special with it’s mahogany guitars and I would own that model in a heartbeat if I could somehow justify it to the spouse, not that she is ever opposed. As far as the finish affecting tone goes, I mean that I don’t think it affects the tone negatively. I would love to play the same exact model, one gloss and one satin, just to find out what difference there really is if any.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood View Post
Hey Matt, I played an OM-03 yesterday for the first time and I was impressed, even with old strings on it. It had plenty of volume and the tone was rich. Larrivee does something special with it’s mahogany guitars and I would own that model in a heartbeat if I could somehow justify it to the spouse, not that she is ever opposed. As far as the finish affecting tone goes, I mean that I don’t think it affects the tone negatively. I would love to play the same exact model, one gloss and one satin, just to find out what difference there really is if any.
Hey Matt! Good to hear from you! The -03 models in mahogany are some of the absolute best guitars I’ve had. Just wonderfully versatile instruments! My only comparison with the full gloss from Larrivee has been the -05 series, and while I fully admit it could be my own bias, I swear the -03 sound more open/louder. But we all know how suspect our own preconceived notions can be! I’ve noticed the same with Eastmans I’ve played in satin vs gloss. But again, individual guitars, woods, and the environment when trying them out can have a lot to do with that!
Old 05-09-2021, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood View Post
I have two Larrivees with satin finish and I don’t think it affects the volume at all. I played two different Larrivees at the music store yesterday, a gloss SD-44RE and a satin OM-O3 and I think any volume difference is due to the design of the guitar more so than the finish.
Greetings Fellow Larrivee'er..... Interestingly, I feel a well-done satin finish affects an instrument's tone (and possibly volume). I agree with your point of volume difference between an OM and a Dread are more by design... not so much finish.

While I do own and appreciate a few gloss finish guitars and mandolins ... I am also a big fan of the woody, breathy, open tone of my satin finish instruments by Eastman, Taylor and my Larrivee 000-40M.... In a head to head comparison (to see if finish seems to affect volume) a truer test IMO is between two like guitars; same make, same body style and tone woods - one satin - one gloss. Volume? IDK.... Tone? From my experience, Yes.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 05-09-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 01:23 PM

does this guitar have a mahogany top??
I tried out the OM -03 vs the Om-03R and chose the rosewood.
I also have an L-03
Larrivee makes a really good versatile guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion