The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2021, 08:50 AM

FWIW, I have a Lowden O-25c, which I think of as a jumbo. I really love the sound of that guitar, but it doesn't get the play time my smaller guitars get, simply because it's less comfortable to play. Every time I pull it out, however, I ask myself why I don't play it more. I do really like it for certain recordings I do though.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:45 AM

I have a Larrivée jumbo 12, and it’s by far the most balanced sounding 12 I’ve ever played. I also have a cedar topped Goodall concert jumbo; it’s a bigger guitar than I expected to buy, (I had specifically been looking at ~00 sizes from Lowden and Goodall), but I couldn’t argue with the sound coming out of it. It is much more of a finger style than strummer; so I’m sure you can find a true jumbo size with a light build (and possibly a cedar top) that would be outstanding for finger style. Even the CJ is big feeling if I’m not in the right chair though.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:25 AM
Guest 33123

Ergonomics should be considered. I owned a Gibson J-100Xtra (Super Jumbo shape) for 11 years. I could never get comfortable sitting with it. It was just too large for me.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
FWIW, I have a Lowden O-25c, which I think of as a jumbo. I really love the sound of that guitar, but it doesn't get the play time my smaller guitars get, simply because it's less comfortable to play. Every time I pull it out, however, I ask myself why I don't play it more. I do really like it for certain recordings I do though.
The Lowden O series lower bout is 420mm / near 17". So certainly Jumbo sized. The F series is about 400mm / 16" and I think they call it a "small jumbo". My "large" guitar is about 400mm, and I have some doubts about wanting or needing anything larger than that.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-29-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I had a chance to buy an O-25 a few years ago but passed on it simply because of the size and comfort for my shoulder (it did sound great). A month or two later I was able to buy an F-25. I'm glad I waited.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:33 PM

Consider also the OM-depth “jumbo” that is the Martin M- or 0000- series. They have a more balanced tone and are wonderfully comfortable.

https://guitars.com/custom-madagascar-martin-guitars

Another shallow(er) jumbo is the Franklin Jumbo.

http://www.franklinguitarcompany.com/styles/

George
Old 04-29-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I had a chance to buy an O-25 a few years ago but passed on it simply because of the size and comfort for my shoulder (it did sound great). A month or two later I was able to buy an F-25. I'm glad I waited.

I have a Lowden F and love it. Its a great size.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:43 PM

You should go play a few and see how you like the feel. They are much bigger (lower bout) than an OM and depending on how you play (sitting or standing with or without a strap) you might find them uncomfortable.

Also as others have mentioned, just because they are big, they are not all necessarily loud - so again go try a few. I bought a Gibson SJ-200 and while it had a very nice tone it was a quite giant acoustically, and not that comfortable to play. I traded it toward my Colling dread within a few months.

Collings D2HG
Collings 002H 14 Fret
Gibson Hummingbird Original
Gibson Hummingbird Quilt (Maple)
Gibson J-29
Old 04-29-2021, 07:31 PM

You should get a jumbo if you decide you want a jumbo.
You should not get a jumbo if you decide you do not want a jumbo.
Some people like jumbo guitars.
Some people do not like jumbo guitars.
We are all different, that is how we are the same.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:31 PM

Default Jumbos

Great topic!0
I have a Martin 00-1, a Martin 000 MMV, and a Martin DM.
I like all of them. I think the DM (dreadnaught) sounds the best.
The 00-1 is the most comfortable to play, and the 000 is in the middle on both comfort and tone.
I’ve thought about getting a jumbo since most of my favorite fingerstyle blues players (like Stefan Grossman) play jumbos.
Also sometimes the bass notes on the dreadnaught seem a little too bassy.
I’d have to get a deal on one, and would prefer a Martin.
Great topic!
Old 04-30-2021, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Ergonomics should be considered. I owned a Gibson J-100Xtra (Super Jumbo shape) for 11 years. I could never get comfortable sitting with it. It was just too large for me.
J-185 is an inch smaller than the 100 and 200. Seems to fit me fine.
I'm 5'9"
Get the Jumbo Maple round body, gorgeous tone, and playability of a Les Paul
Old 04-30-2021, 09:17 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
J-185 is an inch smaller than the 100 and 200. Seems to fit me fine.
I'm 5'9"
Get the Jumbo Maple round body, gorgeous tone, and playability of a Les Paul
I bought a J-185 last year. Perfect fit and I'm 5'-9" too.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:32 AM

If one can learn to play with the guitar body between the legs rather than perched atop the leg, size becomes much less of an issue.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthenLights View Post
When it comes to acoustics, I seem to always prefer OMs. Out of all the guitars I've owned, OMs are the ones that always feels right to me, and the ones I end up keeping. I rather play with my fingers than with a pick, and I find that bigger bodied guitars doesn't open up if you're not drivning them harder than is comfortable for my feeble fingers. I currently own 5 acoustics, but the dread and the archtop are both out on extended loans to family members. The remaining 3 are different flavours of OM.

Last couple of weeks, I've been GASing for a jumbo. Basically the complete opposite to what I usually like to play. Don't know why, I'm just drawn to the look of that huge body.

Is there a reason for me to pull the trigger and go for one? What can I use it for that justify the expense? Or should I just forget about it and save my money for something useful? If I were to play it live I would probably use a pickup, so volume isn't a valid reason.

Do you mean jumbos as in Gibson SJ200ish jumbo or J45ish jumbo? If it's the latter, let me say I LOVE the slope-shouldered guitars, so if it's THAT jumbo, I'll recommend it forever. If it's the super jumbo. . . I'd do, too, but not as much.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 04-30-2021, 12:41 PM

if you want it and have the means, you should treat yourself
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion