The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2020, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

I see a lot of mentions about the 110, but the op stated it is a 114 he is looking at...I have a 114 and fragile is not even close to accurate, at least in my experience. My 114 has been played hard and often for 10 years and it has taken it and begged for more.. I call it "my warhorse" because of the durability it has shown...Not to take away from the sound or playability either. It is a good all around guitar.

I am not certain about the BR you are talking about, or BR guitars in general, but I will mention that I played a BR dread in a small shop last year that blew my mind. It was fantastic. It was $1100 and very blingy, but I remember thinking it was a ton of guitar for the money...Not much help to you in your situation, I know, except to say my limited experience with BR left a very good impression...

I wonder if that little north Ga shop still has that BR...Lol
Old 05-04-2020, 04:52 AM

I have owned a Blueridge BR-43 and a Taylor 110. Both very good guitars, IMO, an I don't think any of them is objectively better or worse than the other. Be aware that the Taylor 110 is a decidedly bigger guitar than the Blueridge - for me personally, that is a very important feature in favour of the Blueridge. I also happen to like the "focused" sound of the Blueridge - but if the louder, bigger, and wider voice of a dreadnought sized guitar is your thing, then the Taylor will give you that.

As for "quality" I think both guitars are quality products with no reason to fear that any of them should be fragile or otherwise problematic. I suppose "brand perception" is higher with the Taylor but that doesn't really mean anything beyond just that.

If you happen to like the sound and playability of the Bluerridge, and you don't really have the possibility to test drive the Taylor, I don't see why you should not just get the Blueridge.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 05-04-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
Now that's a serious zombie thread.
Some of the kids I mentor were born the same year, now that I think about it - what a thought.......

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 05-04-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
Now that's a serious zombie thread.
LOL, I didn't even notice.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-04-2020, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andnel View Post
Thank you Cotten!

Btw, when I said "fragile" I was not refering to the drop-guitar-to-the-floor-and-see-if-it-breaks-kind of fragile. More how it stands dry/hot conditions and if it requires humidifier or it will break e.t.c.

Of course I will take care of the guitar, whether it's a Taylor or a Blueridge. But i'm more in favour of guitars who doesn't need a babysitter every day of the week. And that's why i want to know... does the Taylor needs more or extra attention in comparison to other guitars (Bluerdige, Takamine, Martins e.t.c.)?

Get me?
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, and maybe something to think about... If you are concerned about heat/humidity etc, most wood guitars should be looked after.

However, and to me, this is a big however, let's say your guitar does need work down the line for it to play comfortably, the Blueridge might not be worth fixing, but on the Taylor, you can easily take the bolted neck off, put in the proper shims and bolt it back together. A neck reset in under 60 mins.
I personally think it as solid as any other wood guitar.

Full Disclosure. I own a Taylor 114e
Old 05-04-2020, 12:39 PM

Holy resurrection, Batman! In another few days, it will have been dormant for twelve years.

To actually contribute, I once owned nine Taylor guitars, from a 114ce up to a koa/spruce GS-K (K16). I also once got a good deal on a Blueridge BR-43 and held onto it and played it semi-regularly for longer than the lifespan of this thread. It was a nice little 000 guitar, that I sold to a guitar beginner about five years ago. But all/most of the early participants are no longer around this forum, so they'll never read this.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:48 AM

I'm a big Blueridge fan. I've owned two Taylors that I sold. In general they were both very nice guitars but quite a bit more expensive than the BR. I currently have a BR-371, BR-183 (I think I have it sold) and a brand new BR-283a. I don't know what's happening with BR but I was able to buy the BR-283a from Amazon for $1139. Supposedly, this is a used guitar but I don't believe it. It's new and very nice. It also came with a very nice, Chinese faux leather gig bag. This seems like an incredible price. Amazon has it listed, now for $2748. I saw two other BR-283a guitars listed on Amazon, since February, for about $1100 both saying "used". I suspect they also were NOT used. I don't know if more will show up on their site but you might want to keep an eye out.
Old 05-09-2021, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andnel View Post
So what should I do, go for a good deal and buy the Blueridge BR-43 with a great tone and playability + hardcase for xxx$.. or go for the more wellknown Taylor 114 with a more crispy and eggshellish (not a bad thing) sound for xxx$?
Easy choise, the Blueridge.

In my opinion Blueridge is the best budget acoustic you can get based on tone (and not looks, but does it matter?). I own a Br-43 that has great tension in the body that gives a loud and focused tone. The tone is not as complex as an all-solid guitar, but the loud, focused tone, and majestic feeling compares with guitars twice the cost
Old 05-09-2021, 07:25 AM

I'm not a buy orient made guitars person , which may shortly change.
when the prices are like 25 % of an american made guitar its makes one rethink their position .
wanted a certain model and make guitar used - and theirs nothing for sale thats not crazy priced . I will wait -

I feel the market will be overloaded with used instruments , when new players
( during our current situation ) loose interest . Its a fact that not every newby
keeps their hobbies - when they loose interest .
Old 05-09-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Between those two, Taylor all day long
What he said.

Martin OOO-10E
Bristol BB-16

Over a dozen ukuleles.

My YouTube channel- https://youtube.com/c/VicSchmeltz
Old 05-09-2021, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenius View Post
[QUOTE, Again, I'm opinionated. [/SIZE][/FONT]
Ya don't say LOL!

I'd put my 140 up against that Taylor any day of the week!

spec them out before you rant like this! [/QUOTE]

I'd put about anything up against a Taylor any day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion