The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-12-2024, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Another Another Scam? Probably....

Rec'd email that I had an offer for an instrument I have listed on Reverb (cheaper here) and it was for full amount. Before I accepted, I tried to message the buyer through Reverb and was informed he couldn't receive messages right now. I did notice that he had a disguised email address (mailmexxxxx.xxx) so I sent him an email to see if it was legit - I'm guessing he wants to do business outside Reverb but haven't heard back. Had this happen outside Reverb once before and the guy wanted me to send to his father and jump through all kinds of hoops for payment, blah, blah......
Anyway, just do a little due diligence before you jump on an offer.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:18 AM

beware certified checks as payment
Old 02-12-2024, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

The dude can not receive messages because Reverb decided he's a scammer. These guys get reported and pulled quickly.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-12-2024, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Definite scam. The more hoops that a "buyer" expects a seller to jump through, the more likely it is to be a scam in the making...
Old 02-12-2024, 11:56 AM

I get those regularly. Never do I respond through email. I login to Reverb and deal with the message there. Reverb usually has them blocked already. I report the offender and move on.

Shayne
Old 02-12-2024, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

If he was offering full price, he should have hit the buy button. That is how it works and if he didn’t he is trying to scam you.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

this is a scam

Very common on reverb and ebay

The reason they cant receive emails is because their account is either under review or suspended.

They will ask you to email them outside then they get you to sell to them outside and you ship it before the payment actually clears

Its a common scam.

Do not reply to them and do not send them emails

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 02-12-2024, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

I got a second one similar to the first. The first guy emailed that he wanted to pay with a cashier's check. I told him I only deal through Reverb and declined both offers. I actually have a real buyer asking questions so maybe it'll pan out. I guess they keep trying because some people fall for it. Didn't know it was happening on Ebay - haven't done anything on there in a long time.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
beware certified checks as payment
AMEN! The one and only time I've been burned (about 5 years ago) was when I agreed to this upon hearing the guy's sob story. I ended up with a Martin JMOM that definitely had been in a flood. And of course, no response from the seller when I wrote to him within a couple minutes of opening the case. There is absolutely NO legit reason anyone would want certified checks or USPS Money Orders. I don't give a rat's patootie how much someone hates PP or any other legit payment option, if a person refuses anything but an untraceable form of payment, RUN AWAY!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic