The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-28-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Wow, knocked out and having to be admitted to the hospital? You are the Evil Knievel of guitar building. I hope you recover quickly.

As for the Myrtle guitar. I love the contrast that the binding gives, and the headstock is as radical as I've seen from you. Quite nice!
Old 10-28-2020, 12:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I really like the cutout in the headstock, is that a new design? I know you have done others, but I don't recall that shape.
All three CN guitars have the keyhole in the headstock, but no two are actually the same. The first reflects the shape of the head face, the second reflects the head back, and the third morphs from the face to the back, which is possible because it is hand carved.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
Take care on that bike Bruce. I have seen your road bike, it looks fast and fun. Perhaps augment with a super stable cargo type, less face plant-able bike ?

Lots of examples, for example: https://surlybikes.com/bikes/ogre

If bikes were Sexauer guitars this is the "Sexauer" version: https://sevencycles.com/bikes/bike-d...?model=expat-s

The new disc brakes are a revelation. Also there is a different physical relation with the bike leading to more control. You have half a chance with potholes and, with wider tires, many general road obstacles becomes no big deal. These bikes don't go that fast but you already got that covered. Plus they carry stuff and better that the bike is the workhorse than you.

But maybe you weren't looking for advice on how to spend your money...

Be well, keep rolling!
Well . . . I actually have several bicycles, but when I want to carry cargo (ship a guitar) I usually turn to my smallish SUV.

The crashed bike, A carbon fiber Specialized Diverge which needs about $800 in parts to repair, is a Gravel bike. The is a sort of road bike which has a relaxed geometry and is able to carry about twice the rubber of a road racer. As it happens, I am having a new bicycle made for me as we speak. It was ordered a couple of months ago. It is being made by Brad Bingham, who has won awards 7 years in a row from the Hand Made Bicycle Show as best Titanium welder in existence. I think of him as me, but making bicycles instead of guitars. . . not that I have won similar awards.

The new bike is called a “Built”, and is also a Gravel Bike. It will weigh about the same as my carbon bike, but be much stronger. Mostly, however, it will be more fun to ride. That’s because carbon is light and efficient, but has a dead feeling on the road. Titanium, on the other hand, requires great skill in construction to be similarly light and efficient, but has a quality in the ride which is springy and resilient: FUN!!!

This is not unlike much of the argument for owning my guitars as opposed to most others, and since I spend a lot of my quality time riding my bike, why not have the best?
Old 10-28-2020, 12:59 PM

Dang Bruce take it easy out there! Just yesterday I almost crashed on my bike ride home when I hit something under the fall leaves all over the road and almost lost it.

Calfee does great work on repairing CF frames.
https://calfeedesign.com/carbon-repair/

BTW I have a Moots TI road bike and it's the best riding bike I have ever had and I have quite a few myself.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:23 PM

Bruce, what a hair-raising tale! But glad you have bounced back, as it were. The Myrtle guitar meanwhile is looking fabulous, very “organic” design, probably deriving from your approach. Definitely one to watch!
Old 10-28-2020, 03:34 PM

Glad you're ok Bruce!
Old 10-28-2020, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

SO good to see you posting again! And that nice patio backdrop - maybe that makes it into a business expense?
Old 10-28-2020, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on the Bingham bike. I checked out Brad’s website and see he cut his teeth at Moots. Very nice. Looking at Redir’s post makes me reflect on the number of guitar players that also cycle. There is some connection, beautiful objects that do something if you put in the effort to make them work.

Bruce, btw, I consider my Sexauer L00 a couch noodler even if it isn’t in the official CN register. Perhaps it can be CN #0. Love that guitar, an ergo marvel. It has a quick responsive sound and would need disc brakes were it a bike.

Last edited by jmat; 10-28-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:17 PM

Bruce, it was probably not your first crash, but let’s hope it’s your last. My road bike is now “permanently“ on a trainer on the back porch. I hope to be safe there, but you never know.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am not “safety” oriented. I had a trio with Eric Schoenberg and a Bassist, Larry Mersereau 25 years ago which we called “@risk.calm”. We (or I at least) never played anything quite the same way twice, and it was entirely improvisational given that we were playing swing to bop standards. I am much the same today, not only with the music, but also with the guitars.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today is my first day back to work in my recuperation process. I created a new batch of P juice, stained the myrtle parts of CN#3, sealed it, and put on the first coat of oil varnish.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

2nd coat is on and dry enough to handle:

Old 10-31-2020, 09:46 AM

That headstock is a beauty Bruce!
Old 10-31-2020, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Smile P juice

My goodness, your Pernambuco stain sure makes everything it graces mighty pretty!!!

Ride careful out there

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-31-2020, 01:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
My goodness, your Pernambuco stain sure makes everything it graces mighty pretty!!!

Ride careful out there

Paul
I am thinking that another term for the P induced color is: "Cremonese Brown".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop