The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-09-2007, 06:34 AM

Default Buisness cards?

Do you use them?
What does it look like?
I'm sure "working bands" use them, but what about the part time gig guys?
Yamaha 365S (1980 ish)
Taylor 110, 2004
Martin DC-160GTE
Old 04-09-2007, 07:16 AM

I always have some cards on me, never know when a manager of another establishment will be listening and come up at the end of a gig, have picked up a few new places that way. About once a week I will have someone come up and ask about playing a private party too. It looks a lot nicer to hand them a business card instead of writing your name and number on a napkin.

I print mine off at home on the pre-cut cards, cant remember exactly what they are called but I think they are made by Avery. They dont have the perferated edges, they have a clean edge when you seperate them. My card just has a picture of an acoustic in the background and then my info. Shoot me an email and I will send it over in Microsoft Word, you are more then welcome to slap your own info in there and use it.

[email protected]
Old 04-09-2007, 08:08 AM

I get mine through Vista Print, which seems to have very reasonable prices. They even have several designs which you can get for free.

I never seem to have one on hand when I need it, though. I just don't think about carrying them with me all the time, and of course the only time I seem to need them is when I don't have them with me.

Here's what mine looks like:

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 04-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Eric Skye

I used a pro graphic designer to do my business cards, letterhead, and envelopes. I think if you’re going to look for work in the event end of the music business it’s obviously a must. But even when playing in public places I get asked for cards- for lessons, sessions, other gigs.. all the time.

My card, letterhead, envelopes all use the same sketch of an acoustic guitar neck that is on my first CD, in the same green as the cover. So it all ties in fairly well. The paper is pretty heavy and ultra crisp white. My card just has my name, phone, and website. Letterhead has my LLC, PO box, email....

I think I paid just a little over a grand to have them designed by a women that does a lot of the stuff for Pottery Barn. And that included the first 500 printed, so I felt like that was pretty reasonable.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:39 AM

Check out vistaprint.com
You can design online, upload a photo etc. I have found the price, very cheap. In fact they are almost free if you have their logo on the back (which I do not do).
Taylor GS Mini
Alvarez 314 1970's

www.michaelgresham.com
Old 04-09-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
Check out vistaprint.com
You can design online, upload a photo etc. I have found the price, very cheap. In fact they are almost free if you have their logo on the back (which I do not do).
Another Vista Print supporter. I use a custom design, but they're still cheap.

Keep in mind that my day job is working as a print broker. Vista Print is cheaper than I can get them at cost here at work.

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 04-09-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Overnightprints

I use Overnight prints http://www.overnightprints.com ansd they are great. Same sort of deal. Build your cards online. The offer the cards printed on great stock and you can get 100 for $9.95. Also you get upgrade to rounded edge cards as well. Check em out.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
Another Vista Print supporter. I use a custom design, but they're still cheap.

Keep in mind that my day job is working as a print broker. Vista Print is cheaper than I can get them at cost here at work.
another vote for vistaprint... i also use a custom design and it was very reasonable... i also got suckered into ordering a handful of the business card magnets those i pretty much just give to friends for fun though
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 04-09-2007, 10:57 AM

In my line of work, you see a lot of cool business cards. I recently looked into having some lenticular (3-D) cards produced. I thought it would be cool and eye-catching.

Turns out the custom lenticular lens costs $1200 (and that's for the trade). So my 1,000 business cards would have cost $1.20 each before I even had them printed

Sometimes it's good to dream

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 04-09-2007, 07:06 PM

Another vote for Vistaprints. Cheap prices, but watch out for the add ons!
Old 04-09-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tozier View Post
I never seem to have one on hand when I need it, though. I just don't think about carrying them with me all the time, and of course the only time I seem to need them is when I don't have them with me.
Same problem here. I never have one when asked. They're usually in my gig bag or somewhere that is not in my pocket or wallet.

I also got mine at Vistaprint and am a happy customer. A few things to be aware of:
  • The biz cards are a touch smaller than standard.
  • Google for coupon codes before you buy as there are often nice discounts on top of low prices.
  • Be careful about what links you click when checking out. There are tons of extra offers. Also make sure to opt out of all the SPAM.
My card looks like this:

Old 04-13-2007, 01:21 PM

Thumbs up

Yet another VistaPrint customer...I never leave home w/o a full business card wallet in my pocket, and I have a brass business card holder right next to my tip jar at every booking...my business cards bring 2-3 gigs every month to my schedule, on the average.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:03 AM

I've been toying with the idea of getting some business cards printed up and after seeing this thread I think it's time to make the leap. One question though: I don't have my own website, is it ghetto to put my MySpace page on the business card?
Also, along with name, email, and phone# what other imperative info is there?

www.facebook.com/barefootbillymusic

http://www.youtube.com/BuddaBill
Old 04-15-2007, 03:48 AM

Haha....it's not ghetto at all. Unless you're a rapper, in which case ghetto is cool.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:46 AM
minister of twang

Default a'yuh

i use 'em.

sorry for the celly blur.

a few go in my cases, a few go in my wallet. i've gone through kinko's in the past, but will check out vistaprint.
l'twangage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell