The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2021, 08:30 AM

I'm comfortably in the GAS remission phase right now. Over my comparably short (to most on this forum) guitar journey of about 7 years (not including my few years of butchering it as a 10 year old) I've bought more than a logical number of guitars. This is something my dear, but super logical wife has brought to my attention on more that a few occasions. My GAS was driven by a cause-effect relationship. As I went through my early development, I progressed somewhat rapidly and would by a new guitar (always nicer than before) which sounded fractionally better and I seemed to be able to play slightly better. So my own growth was psychologically reinforcing the fact that the new guitar was fractionally better.

This started with a $250.00 used Seagull S-6 purchase and ended -- almost -- with the purchase of a Breedlove Masterclass Koa Dread last summer at a much higher price. That acquisition brought me a both visually and tonally stunning instrument that is, without a drought the best I've ever played. It was so good that, 6 months later I decided I certainly had to have a Masterclass Concerto in Brazilian Rosewood. That's where the brakes hit and logic started to set in. While the Concerto, a gorgeous and exceptional guitar in its own right, was not superior in either tone or overall appearance than the Dread - it did cost appreciably more. I'm not planning on selling it, in fact its definitely my #2 guitar and I play it several times a week, but it brought me to a hard realization that I've got some great guitars and it's time to focus on what really makes them sound good - my own development.

At least that's my story today.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 05-06-2021, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure why people say "suffering from GAS". I rather enjoy it , at least for now.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
Well, I am not gassing much anymore...
though I would like to try a few more guitars.
That’s how I feel. Been around the block a few times and there are still guitars/builders I have not had experience with. I will keep trying guitars when the opportunity presents it self. But over the last 15 plus years I have averaged (buying,selling trading) around 3 guitars a year. I now know what I like and have it covered.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-07-2021, 06:06 AM

My Lowden has cured me, at least temporarily. I've had it a couple of years. I still have guitars on my wish list, but I've pushed the bottom line so high it takes me much longer to commit to another purchase.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-07-2021, 07:41 AM

I'm not gassing for anything in particular right now, but that could easily change. I find that I get a guitar in my sights and have pretty much made up my mind that I want one before I ever play it. Consequently, often I am not that objective when I get it in my hands.

Most of my guitar purchases over the years were performance driven as I mostly played in bands for a long time. So as the material changed I might need a different guitar to cover a certain tone or style. Now that those days are pretty much past and I just play for my own enjoyment I'm trying to focus more on what I personally want to hear and not what I think an audience deserves to hear.

I have one up for sale right now as it just doesn't get played very often and my best sounding guitar is also the most difficult to play so things could change at any time

Collings D2HG
Collings 002H 14 Fret
Gibson Hummingbird Original
Gibson Hummingbird Quilt (Maple)
Gibson J-29
Old 05-07-2021, 01:04 PM

I have 2 guitars now. I had 1 from 2013 until 2018. I bought my last one in November of 2018 and have not been looking since. I used to go to guitar shops every chance I had but don't anymore. I don't look at guitars on-line. I did go into a guitar shop yesterday looking for a different style of strap. I got it and walked out without picking up a single guitar. I don't even know what they had in stock. What is wrong with me?
Old 05-07-2021, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

My last purchase was August 2020, excluding the Christmas present for my daughter. My last three guitars filled gaps in my assortment: Maple Jumbo, Mahogany/Sitka dread (what?!!), and Mahogany/Adi OM. So, I'm good with acoustic guitars for now and could actually sell a couple off, if they didn't sound so good!

On the electric side, I don't play nearly as often as I'd like (after a long day on laptops, unplugging with an acoustic is more therapeutic). But I just ordered a new M1 Mac Mini to serve as my instrument hub, so I'd really like to add a Les Paul style solid body electric (maybe for my 50th b-day later this year).
Old 05-09-2021, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

I drove by one of my favorite shops yesterday (The Music Outlet) and just kept driving.
That was a first
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-09-2021, 04:57 AM

I have found a cure. Not sure how long it wil work for. I've ordered a custom guitar which will take a long time (one or two years) to be ready. Since I placed the order, I've stopped GASsing. How long for? Dunno. Wait and see ......
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:15 AM

Default A strange and satisfying sensation ....

My last purchase was an Eastman E OO10, and that has cured the GAS for a while. My problem is that it came quite dehydrated from the Colorado desert area, and the luthier is taking a long time for it to rehydrate before the final set up. He will do a great job.
So now I have ATPS: anxious to play syndrome. [emoji57]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion