The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-04-2020, 09:27 AM

Default Emerald Book

I received my coffee table book on the History of Emerald Guitars. Iím about halfway through reading it. It is very well done and a very interesting read. Good job Staci. Anyone who loves their Emerald guitar will certainly love this book.

Dan
Fender Ukelele
Old 01-04-2020, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Nice! I bought the soft cover version and am rethinking that I should have gone for the gusto with the hardcover........may pull the trigger soon on that one as well. The soft cover is very nice for the $$$ though.....

FOR SALE: 1981 vintage Yamaha L25A
Emerald X20 Artisan Woody custom
Kinscherff Adi/Koa High Noon
Whelan Sitka/Claro Walnut Dreadnought
Whelan Italian Spruce/Madagascar Grand Auditorium
PRS SE A50E Angelus - Sitka/Flame Maple
PRS SE A60E Angelus - Sitka/Ziricote
Takamine P5NC Pro series - Spruce/EI Rosewood
Ovation 1978 Model #1612 Custom Balladeer
Old 01-04-2020, 10:29 AM

I have the coffee table version and really like it. It illustrates what I've bought into with my Emerald guitars and documents an important moment in guitar development.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Wish I had more history with Emerald... maybe some day
Blackbird: Savoy
RainSong: CH-OM, CH-WS
Journey: OF660
McPherson: Touring(Honeycomb and gold), Sable
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-06-2020, 10:46 AM

Kramster;

Well maybe you need to purchase a few more Emeralds and work a little harder to create more history. Have you bought a book for each guitar in your collection? The book goes pretty nicely with the mug. That's a trifecta--guitar, book, mug. There's history there....................
Old 01-06-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Kramster;

Well maybe you need to purchase a few more Emeralds and work a little harder to create more history. Have you bought a book for each guitar in your collection? The book goes pretty nicely with the mug. That's a trifecta--guitar, book, mug. There's history there....................
Oh, thereís going to be another Emerald coming soon. Iím still undecided. I got it narrowed down to two.
I know.... youíll probably say buy both LOL.
Fender Ukelele
Old 01-06-2020, 03:54 PM

Save some time, buy both.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Save some time, buy both.
Canít afford that But I got a question for you. One the two Iím thinking about is a X20 nylon. I play mostly fingerstyle (mostly Travis style). How is the x20 nylon for playability compared to the x20? I always thought of nylon guitars as having a really wide and flat neck.
Fender Ukelele
Old 01-06-2020, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz567 View Post
Canít afford that But I got a question for you. One the two Iím thinking about is a X20 nylon. I play mostly fingerstyle (mostly Travis style). How is the x20 nylon for playability compared to the x20? I always thought of nylon guitars as having a really wide and flat neck.
There's something called a "crossover" or "hybrid". 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" nut, radius neck. Martin 000C-Nylon, Taylor makes one, Cordoba makes at least one. Much more like a steel acoustic to play, but with that lovely nylon sound. The X-20 lists a 1-7/8" nut. The description seems to indicate it's a radius neck, email them and confirm that. So it's, in my eyes, a hybrid and should be a dream to play if that nylon sound is what you're after.
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 01-06-2020, 05:30 PM

Hey guys, just a clarification. There is no rule disallowing discussion of the Emerald book in the CF section by members. The rules prevent sponsors from advertising outside of the Marketplace, so that includes Staci. But no rule limits your discussion. Please discuss it till your heart's content... this is the place for it. And then go buy an Emerald and come back and post a NGD thread!

OK, just kidding... but enjoy the book!
Old 01-06-2020, 06:16 PM

Cool! Thanks for the clarification.
Fender Ukelele
Old 01-06-2020, 07:28 PM

The 20 nylon is definitely a hybrid model. The cut-a-way, 1 7/8" nut width, and the electrics all move the 20 to something between a steel and a nylon strung guitar.

I likeed my 20 nylon. It didn't suit me the way of the 10, but it was great for both finger play and strumming. The tonal qualities are superb. The projection is not what you'd get in a fine wooden instrument, but it's close and the electronics close the gap.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:30 PM

Danz;

The 20 nylon is definitely a hybrid model. The cut-a-way, 1 7/8" nut width, and the electrics all move the 20 to something between a steel and a nylon strung guitar.

I liked my 20 nylon. It didn't suit me the way of the 10, but it was great for both finger play and strumming. The tonal qualities are superb. The projection is not what you'd get in a fine wooden instrument, but it's close and the electronics close the gap.

Kerbie;

Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering what the ruling was.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:18 AM

Will the book be at NAMM?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:28 AM

I wondered if the Emerald book would be at NAMM. The larger question is: Does NAMM feature a book rack? I've never seen a sign of such, but it seems a logical option since there are a lot of cool books about different makers and different guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber