The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-14-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Nice. I would love to have a Gretsch with a Bigsby on it.

Oh wow... I just looked at the model of your Gretsch. That's a beautiful guitar. I would love to have one just like it.!! Sweet.
Watch the sales at GC and MF. This model was recently on sale for $200 off.

I just ordered a Chet Atkins-style arm for the Bigsby. It will require a little modification, since the shaft on the genuine Bigsby is 3/8" and the Bigsby-licensed shaft is 10mm, but that should be a ten minute operation with the proper reamer.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 12-14-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
A compression pedal evens out the sound of the notes when you are playing and it's probably the least popular of any pedals out there, save for a lot of country pickers. (And even then).

Good luck!
Agree - probably the least useful for practice, where you would like to be challenged with full dynamic range by which sensitivity of pick attack and touch with practice improves skill. The best rock guitarists I’ve heard would control distortion straight from the amp using guitar volume and the only essential pedal is the wah.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:35 AM

The compression effect is not the least popular effect.
That's why it has been in the top five best selling effects for the last 3 years
(#7 in 2016), https://reverb.com/news/the-best-selling-pedals-of-2019
and why almost every manufacturer of pedals makes and sells comp pedals.
Keeley offers 7 comp pedals, Boss 6, TC Electronics 5, MXR 10, etcetera ad infinitum.
https://www.jimdunlop.com/category/p...fect=100074-26
Also EVERY major multi-effect pedal has a compressor.

Compression is used in almost every recording and is a default in almost every daw patch (along with EQ).
It is far from being only a funk and a country music pedal used by chicken pickers.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-...als-for-guitar

I alone have two compressors. A Keeley comp plus and a Boss CP-1X.
That's 20% of all my pedals. (Plus my GT-1 has comp)
So let's hear it for the mighty compressor and stop this pedal bashing!
Old 01-02-2020, 12:23 PM

OP here reporting back.

A few days ago I bought my first pedal. Boss RC-3 Loop Pedal. In 5 days time, last night, for the first time ever, I recorded an easy blues progression, in good time, and I am now playing lead guitar over it. Being new to electric guitar I am amazed by many things here. Technology being a big one. Also, my playing. I've played acoustic for nearly 18 years. Alone in the living room is the figure of speech I would use to describe what the atmosphere was. Now, with the loop pedal, all of a sudden the atmosphere is more musical than ever. And it's just the beginning.

I also"signed the contract" to have 2 one hour lessons per month. Its going to be great. Everything I play, for the most part, is original. I don't sing or write lyrics. I play. With these lessons we're going to focus on my originals and getting them into the looper, rhythm and lead. I hope to get my music on a CD which I could share with family and friends. I feel a big reward coming for myself. A musical reward. yee.haw.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
OP here reporting back.

A few days ago I bought my first pedal. Boss RC-3 Loop Pedal. In 5 days time, last night, for the first time ever, I recorded an easy blues progression, in good time, and I am now playing lead guitar over it. Being new to electric guitar I am amazed by many things here. Technology being a big one. Also, my playing. I've played acoustic for nearly 18 years. Alone in the living room is the figure of speech I would use to describe what the atmosphere was. Now, with the loop pedal, all of a sudden the atmosphere is more musical than ever. And it's just the beginning.

I also"signed the contract" to have 2 one hour lessons per month. Its going to be great. Everything I play, for the most part, is original. I don't sing or write lyrics. I play. With these lessons we're going to focus on my originals and getting them into the looper, rhythm and lead. I hope to get my music on a CD which I could share with family and friends. I feel a big reward coming for myself. A musical reward. yee.haw.
Glad to hear you bought a looper. The Boss RC-3 was the one I was thinking of. It's the fastest way to get yourself jamming with yourself, like you say laying down a rhythm guitar then soloing away over the top.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 01-02-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
OP here reporting back.

Thanks for reporting. That looper will serve you well and will help with your improvisation when you solo over your rhythms.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars