The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-22-2018, 06:54 PM

Default Groovy Man!

KevWind:

What an awesome lead! I am groovin'! to Gabor Szabo right now. Good stuff for sure. Genre? not so sure. For sure it has a little bit of everything going for it. I will continue to dig this.

Thanks...and Oh, by the way, I am going to need an couple of percussionist and a couple of bassist, and well, a backing guitarist. But, I'm in!!!

Ha!

What do we call this music, but fresh and new, 50 years later?...Uh, fresh and new!

Thanks...Liked the Chick part too, will continue to dig...

Regards,
D

Old 08-23-2018, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Gabor Szabo (whom Carlos Santana sighted as a influence) was thought at the time (late 60's early 70's) to be bassically Pop Jazz laced at times with a Hungarian Folk music origin.

My introduction to Szabo was his album " The Sorcerer" recorded live at the Jazz Workshop in Boston ( a must hear album IMO)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-26-2018, 07:10 PM

Default Much Thanks! kevwind!

Wow! I have continued dig into Gabor Szabo!

I have also listened to the suggested Chick Corea video (a couple of times +). I loved what he is doing...trying to express his musical inclinations. I understood that was not easy to put into words. His musicality is unbelievable, and completely out of this world. There he is trying to verbalize that brilliant musicality/groove...Bless Him!

I love the Gabor stuff. And I got inspiration from Chick... that layering thing. It helps me have a glimpse of the 'chaos' I alluded to. It is not chaos. It is me that doesn't always come out properly.

Back to Gabor...more awesome, incredible stuff. It gives reassurance that I have a place to go....for what ever that means.

Thanks for the lead. Not everyone hears this stuff well (including me). It takes effort to connect with.

By the way when I heard Chick explain layering, I immediately had a better understanding of Phillip Glass and his layering (syncopations) going on. I, uh, love to listen to all of that, and have no aspirations! So much made sense though.

Thanks kevwind!
Regards
D

Old 09-05-2018, 09:08 PM

Your music takes me to a pretty serene place. It's definitely very beautiful, but it is not rhythmic. Though I really don't think that's a bad thing with this style.

What would you call it? Permanent rubato?? I dunno. Do you play to a metronome out of curiosity?

EDIT: Did a little googling. Apparently it is called "Free Time", when a song follows no musical time signature.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:22 AM

s0cks

Thanks for the comments. Yes my style is just that. It has developed on it's own and pretty much counter to what Derek mentioned earlier. I typically don't control my bass note duration. Most of what I do comes from a chordal position then seeing what melody comes out from under my fingers (what can I reach). So I end up picking a bass note and letting ring for that chord position. Kind of 'set it and forget it'. My style...definitely not boom chuck, or alternating bass which is so rhythmical.

Permanent Rubato...I am living into that! I have been trying lately to create better pulse, more so than in the past. And yes, I do practice with a metronome...that goes ok sometimes, and infuriating others (LOL). I should practice more (is there ever enough metronome time?). I suppose some of my playing is free time or randomly changing meter. Oh well, what is, is.

Here is a tune I consider rhythmic... pretty toe tappy, but consistent with my inconsistencies.

I have read that a song doesn't have to be perfect to be good. I hope that is true!

Regards
D
Old 09-11-2018, 03:19 AM

Ok, I am stoned, so my perceptions may be somewhat altered, but that song was really great! Made me think of childhood summers for some reason. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2018, 06:00 AM
Guitar Gourmet

This is a great place to insert what I have observed: that for a lefty playing righty, the left hand is often called upon to make up for shortcomings in the adroitness of the right hand because the left is far more adroit. As a result, much of the feel and personality in a lefty seems to come from the left.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write