The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

duplicate post (that disappeared for a while)... cue the music to Outer Limits.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 07-18-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Jim;

If you're thinking what I'm thinking, I think you may be on to something...........
I posted a reply to this, but it disappeared. So, I'll try to remember what I said.

Evan, my friend, most of the time I don't know what I'm thinking. I think. Sometimes I'll ask Joan what I was thinking about, because she keeps track of those things better. One thing for sure: I don't know what you're thinking, Evan, so I can't possibly know if what I'm thinking is what you're thinking. I think.

I am rarely on to something, but frequently up to something. I think.

----------

We had a great ride this morning...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/07/is-that-snow.html

When we got back to the coach, Joan asked if I'd play guitar for her. I didn't even have to think about it. Yes, I'm sure. She even sang along on a few tunes. And Rufus was sitting there between us.

All in all, a very good day. The 65th anniversary of the day I was born. Nice way to spend it. I'm sure.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

I already had a guitar when I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. That, however, was a pivotal moment: all those girls screaming. I wasn't sure if it was the guitar playing, the singing, or the hair... I just knew I needed to let my hair grow and start singing!

For decades, I have joked: "Chicks dig the guitar player." Usually, that response has been when I am asked, "How did a guy like you ever get a girl like Joan?"

Over the years, I have modified that saying to: Chicks dig the Harley. Chicks dig the airplane. Chicks dig the photographer. I may have even said, "Chicks dig the boat."

Some of you know that another passion of mine is motorcycling. Well, that has morphed to scooters as my hip has been problematic. I love to ride. One of the scooter forums where I participate has a thread just for "Scooter Girls." Mostly, it is pretty young things draped over Vespas. I have joked that I have never parked the Vespa and come out to find some pretty young thing draped over the scoot. (Joan rides her own scoot, BTW).

Today, while Joan was cleaning the coach, I went for a solo ride (we almost always ride together)... she likes me out of the way when cleaning. I'm good with that, too.

I finally had a bit of a "Chicks dig the Vespa" moment today...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/07/solo.html

Senior citizen style.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
All in all, a very good day. The 65th anniversary of the day I was born. Nice way to spend it. I'm sure.
A belated Happy Birthday, Captain.

Quote:
I finally had a bit of a "Chicks dig the Vespa" moment today...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/07/solo.html

Senior citizen style.
Not that I'm suggesting you're old or anything (because I'm right in your rear view mirror), but a great uncle of mine (who was the family scoundrel) drove a big ol' Caddy convertible, and the way he told it, when he was in his 70's, he was stopped at a light when a woman pulled up beside him and propositioned him. He replied, "I'd love to my dear, but my parents won't let me." "Your parents won't let you?!?" she asked, in disbelief. Great Uncle George said, "Yup. Mother Nature and Father Time." (the man was a walking, talking rim shot)
Old 07-21-2018, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Barry, your Uncle George sounds like the kinda guy I wanna be when I grow up!
Old 07-21-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Barry, your Uncle George sounds like the kinda guy I wanna be when I grow up!
Sounds like a great plan, Captain, and I think you just may have that in you! BTW, he referred to his wife as The Blonde (and she was also one of my faves).
Old 07-21-2018, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Sounds like a great plan, Captain, and I think you just may have that in you! BTW, he referred to his wife as The Blonde (and she was also one of my faves).
Obviously a man of good taste. Joan got the title "the Blonde" when we had three ladies who handled sales with our clients. One of those clients said, "I need to talk to that lady."

"Which lady?" I asked

He said, "The Blonde - she's the one in charge, right?"

"You got that right!"

Blonde hair, blue eyes, smart and tough. Yep, she's the one in charge. My name was on the building. My business card said I was the boss. Riiiiight.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

I am not a motorcycle chick, though my spouse used to have one. I guess that is not uncommon when you marry a Police Captain/Navy veteran. They tend to like fast, dangerous stuff.

As for me, I am a former attorney that now edits books for a small publishing company. I don’t make the money I used to, but it gives me time to travel since I work from home.

I got into guitar because I love Hawaii, which made me discover slack key guitar. I was very into the ukulele, bought a couple of custom ones, even wrote two books about an ukulele luthier, and another about an ukulele company. But after attending the Aloha Music Camp, where guitar is taught by Keola Beamer and Jeff Petrerson, both legends in that genre, I caught the guitar bug. Now I play to try to get good enough to take their classes.

When not traveling, I love to bake, and since we don’t have kids, I dote on our cats. especially my cat Keoki. He is the apple of my eye, and spoiled rotten. I even made him an Instagram account, haha.
https://www.instagram.com/keokicat/

So I guess that us the stuff that goes with my guitars...
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass

Last edited by wickedwahine; 07-21-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Cats and guitars... that works for me!
Old 07-21-2018, 05:56 PM
Guest 928

I'm all in. Not so much the cats, but dogs are ok, just another form of the Dali Lama.

I see you are interested in ukuleles. Have you tried a Blackbird? A truly marvelous instrument. What you can do while you're waiting, you can check out the Blackbird uke. Enjoy!
Old 07-21-2018, 06:01 PM
Guest 928

I'm also into the editing stuff. No matter what medium, the edit has true power. I've been fortunate in having some really good editors, they have made my work better.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Rufus says he's OK with dogs... "well, except the drooling ones. And what's up with that whole crapping out in public thing? Don't they have any dignity?"

I explained to him that not all animals have their own private potty.

"Do their people play music for them?" he asked.

"Not all people play music," I explained to him.

"Really? That's sad."

Sometimes I read the forum to him. I guess he thought all people play music for their furry kids.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

After another great day on the scoots, Joan brought Rufus out on the patio, I brought the X7, and played for an hour or so.

I picked up a new action camera a couple weeks ago - fun to shoot stills and video on the scoot. I mount the camera on a Ram Mount and use the watch-like remote strapped to the left handlebar grip. Works great, and I don't have to take my hands of the handlebar to shoot.

The downside: I have to stretch my thumb to reach the remote and it takes a pretty firm press. I have said, "You know you're getting old when you wake up in the morning and find you have hurt yourself while sleeping." This is just about as bad: more than a muscle ache, it hurt like the dickens while playing guitar this afternoon.

So, you hurt yourself while pressing the button on a remote? Well, kinda. I may have to go back to the "old school" method of using the shutter release on the camera... 'cause the boy's gotta play. Guitar and scoot.

For any other motorcycle riders here: Iron Mountain Road (between Mt Rushmore and Custer State Park), leading to all the great roads in Custer State Park, just might be some of the best riding to be had. Yes, I have ridden Tail or the Dragon years ago. Both great roads. We have been riding Iron Mountain Road and beyond at least a couple times a week the last three weeks... hasn't gotten old, yet.

Even found a great hamburger place in the town of Custer. Not a bad way to spend the day.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/07/adaptable.html

Did about 100 miles to be able to ride that stretch each direction today.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Motorcyles, airplanes, retirement. Wow!...

We don't travel much anymore, and my last job was in 1981, so my best accessory this time of year is Tree Deck.

It's a deck.

Under a tree (actually a few trees).

Stays fairly cool ~ and Captain Jim out there in those Black Hills ~ on a really clear day we can see Mt. Rushmore and sometimes parts of France...

Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post
Motorcyles, airplanes, retirement. Wow!...

We don't travel much anymore, and my last job was in 1981, so my best accessory this time of year is Tree Deck.

It's a deck.

Under a tree (actually a few trees).

Stays fairly cool ~ and Captain Jim out there in those Black Hills ~ on a really clear day we can see Mt. Rushmore and sometimes parts of France...

Something to be said for "deck time."

Your image wouldn't be the only time Mt Rushmore has moved around... eating at a Hardee's in Rapid City this past week, they had a large image of Mt Rushmore with a herd of buffalo grazing on the flat plains in front of it. Really? Right here in the land of Mt Rushmore?

I'll have to go back to see if I can see your deck anywhere in that photo.

-------------

On edit, I see those Levy guitar straps in your photo. I have the red and blue ones, also - most comfortable straps I own. The blue one is on the X7 currently. The red one is along for this trip, too.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 07-24-2018 at 08:38 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber