The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-12-2016, 06:51 AM

Default Michael Joly Mods

I've been on Michael Joly's promotional mailing list for years, but never commissioned him for anything. Yesterday I got an email from him about the day's Musician's Friend SDOTD, and it was an MXL V250 for $50 (I noticed it still is today, btw). Normally retails at MF and GC for $200...supposedly. I think that model is an exclusive for them, and probably a repackaged version of one of MXL's other cheaper models. Probably only worth $50 anyway I surmise. Not that I need it another cheap mic, but I bit and it's ordered.

Anyway, the reason he wanted to pass that info on is because he says he can mod this to go head to head with the response of a U-87 using his 'vintage voiced' version of a K47 capsule.

I thought that if this thing sounds as grainy as some other cheap MXLs I've tried, I might just hand one over to him to upgrade the circuitry.

And judging by the sound clips, it's almost convincing.

Has anyone ever let him mod any equipment? He has been fairly well respected around the pro audio boards over the years from what I've seen.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

I haven't used Joly for modding any mics. I considered it for an Oktava sdc I had, but I went an alternate route.

The mod you are considering for your ldc covers electronic components, the capsule itself, and head basket components; quite extensive and expensive. Even at a good price for the MXL, you'll have around $400 into it.

An alternative you may want to consider is 3 Zigma. They use a transformerless head amp and interchangeable capsules (sdc and ldc). They are occasionally available used. They do have a 47 style capsule as an option. This is the route I went and was able to find used and new old stock mics at attractive prices. I now have cardioid sdc, omni sdc, and 47 style capsules and several head amps. They are very nice, and a very good value.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 08-12-2016, 09:22 AM

Joly's mods certainly have a lot of street cred, but it seems like a lot of work for what you end up with.

I chose to go a different route and purchased a Roswell Mini K-47 which is essentially the mod components already in a new mic. As a reasonable facsimile of a U-47, purchased at sale price of $250, I think it's a good alternative to doing a mod if a U47 is what you're after.

Here's the Roswell Mini K-47 review from Recording Magazine:

https://www.recordingmag.com/product...15/09/104.html

Roswell has a really nice video demo featuring several instruments as well as vocals miked and using nothing more than a Digi 003 for recording. It's worth watching, if for nothing other than the inspiration of what can be accomplished with a single microphone. (Two were used on the Roland Jazz Chorus...)

http://roswellproaudio.com/blogs/new...k47-demo-video

Last edited by Rudy4; 08-12-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Default +1 On Michael Joly's Mods

Aloha,

Michael Joly modded (almost a complete rebuild) a new pair of Oktava MK-012 SD's for me around 12 years ago.

It was very easy & informative dealing with Michael. The sonic results of the modded mic's exceeded my expectations. BTW, a modded Oktava MK-012 makes a great sounding live SD condenser guitar mic that's relatively inexpensive to begin with. Mix it with a good pickup like a K&K, Trance Amulet, Dazzo, Feather or PUTW through some good dual-source EQ & you can achieve great, natural, live acoustic sound & control in many types of spaces. Heh, you don't mind if you drop an MC-012 at a gig because they are cheap & also very durable, IME.

Michael Joly's mods are highly recommended.

Another great guy is Jim Williams of Audio Upgrades in San Diego. He may not be modding mic's anymore though. But for other gear like high-end preamps, etc., JW is fantastic, IMO. He was the AKG 460 master. He turned several 460's into what sounded to me like KM-84's after he rebuilt them.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 08-14-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:42 AM

Thanks for the comments, all!
Old 08-13-2016, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

Joly's Oktava MK-012 mods are great. I hve a pair and love them. In fairness though, the MK012 mod was a proven commodity long before Joly came along.

I've never really been convinced by his sound samples of other modded mics. Compared to the classic U87, U67 etc, his mics sound grainy and 2-dimensional IMO.

There are lots of other companies out there that make excellent mics on a limited budget.

Check out 3U Audio for one (no affiliation, just love the mics).
http://3uaudio.com/
And lots of reviews over on Gearslutz:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-...-voicings.html

-mike
Old 08-14-2016, 07:28 AM

I had followed the Joly posts/clips on Gearslutz. I do not believe that changing a capsule, without addressing the pre circuit or the transformers, gives a lot of bang for the buck. I have a friend(I say this as full disclosure) who is the brain behind JJ Audio. The JJA mic mods are not a 'cheap date'. That being said, I have a lot of his mods in my mic locker. They sound like pro 3 dimensional 'colors' to me.

There are a lot of clips of both of these guys on Gearslutz.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 08-14-2016, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarsFromMars View Post
I had followed the Joly posts/clips on Gearslutz. I do not believe that changing a capsule, without addressing the pre circuit or the transformers, gives a lot of bang for the buck. I have a friend(I say this as full disclosure) who is the brain behind JJ Audio. The JJA mic mods are not a 'cheap date'. That being said, I have a lot of his mods in my mic locker. They sound like pro 3 dimensional 'colors' to me.

There are a lot of clips of both of these guys on Gearslutz.
The JJ Audio mod's and the mic's he makes are indeed interesting.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD