The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
Post some pics when you get a chance. Looks like my Focus delivery is delayed. Been waiting for over a week from Dallas to San Diego. I hate USPS
Well I got it and I LOVE it!! But....I'm pretty new here, how do I upload pics for you to see?
Old 01-28-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
Didn't consider one either until I picked up my first one. Now I'm obviously under the Breedlove spell.

Found a "never played" 2009 Focus SE redwood over EIR. Probably not going to be a big upgrade from the America, but I had some PayPal money sitting there from the sale of a Les Paul and GAS took over. Now I need to find a buyer for my mint American concert. All it should take is for someone to play it..
I bought the Focus SE Redwood to replace my Breedlove American and it was a noticeable upgrade. Not that the American wasn't good, because it was. But the Focus is in a different class above.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:10 PM

Deleted. Deleted.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 01-28-2015 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Pic didn't upload
Old 01-28-2015, 10:36 PM

Old 06-03-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw Spruce View Post
Your experience differs from mine, but then again every guitar even within the same model sounds different - when I compared an Oregon Concert next to a 314ce, I found the 314ce far more open and shimmery sounding and the Oregon (Myrtlewood back and sides if I recall correctly) to be dull sounding in comparison. But if you prefer the Breedlove sound, good for you and glad you've found something you enjoy!
I agree with you on the "shimmery" quality of Taylor guitars in contrast, but I personally HATE that. I also don't like brand new string sound, either, though. Two weeks old after serious daily playing is the sweets spot for me on strings. I know not everyone agrees and thinks this position is a little odd.

Personally, Breedlove's my brand, but to me it's because they sound a little 'broody.' People often say Breedlove is 'between' Taylor and Martin in sound... I think I know what they mean, but I don't know, I think that's an oversimplification, as though these qualities exist on a line. I wouldn't characterize Martins as 'more broody,' as though on a line. They have a nice, rich voice, which I prefer over Taylors, but they don't possess that 'broody' character I enjoy in a Breedlove. Taylor's have a lot of character - that super cheerful morning person who has WAY too much energy and you want to strangle every time you see them. I acknowledge Taylor's as a great instrument, but I always feel like I have to clean off the glitter from my shoulders after playing one - I'm not a 13 year old girl or a stripper, so glitter is NOT cool to me.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:42 AM

My understanding is that Mr. Breedlove worked for Taylor for a number of years, so I would think his guitars might be somewhat similar to Taylor guitars.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukybob2 View Post
My understanding is that Mr. Breedlove worked for Taylor for a number of years, so I would think his guitars might be somewhat similar to Taylor guitars.
They don't sound similar to me at all. I've heard that exact point from a lot of people... they are made very differently, so I don't know why because the guy worked there means they would sound the same - unless they're made the same, which isn't the case.

Some also use that point to state that 'middle' theory, that Taylor, Breedlove and Martins are on a kind of line tone wise. Sorry, I don't hear that at all. But I do admit that all three are very tempting choices, and wouldn't really feel bad if I owned any of them... just that the Taylor sound is the least favorite of the three because of the same trait many enjoy. I love that description from a previous poster *Shimmery* That is exactly how I'd describe it. I get why some people like it, and I admit it is compelling in it's own way. But I like sad, broody songs, so it just doesn't fit my style of play, and I confess to a bit of hyperbole in my description about Taylor guitars ;-).
Old 06-03-2016, 02:38 PM

I am a Breedlove fan from 1993. I think I own 8 now. :-) 7 Masterclass and one S series. Woods I have range from IRW to Maple to Tree Mahogany and Stripped Ebony.

They are awesome guitars.

That Oregon seems like a great value. All made in Bend! Got to love that.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:21 AM

Cool

I own an Oregon concert sunburst and a OF Quartz mando. Yes, I love them, too, and I love that aspect of the Oregon series exactly!

The original poster, though got some crazy rare version of the Oregon Series for a crazy price. If he has second thoughts he can always sell it to me to recoup his money
Old 06-06-2016, 11:20 AM

My thoughts exactly with OP. I Love Martin and Taylor. But A little less for Taylor due to its shimmery voice. But however, after trying many many guitars at GC only a few spoke to me. Breedlove Oregon and the Taylor 814ce. I mean...easy choice right? its either $1500 or $4000. Its really a no brainer. And to make it a sweeter deal, I got a new one coming in this Friday for 1100 shipped out the door brand new. Its really underrated in my opinion.

Really weird though how the build for burst version of Oregon and the original Oregon is virtually the same, yet they sound so different. The Oregon is no doubt a bit brighter and the burst a bit stronger in the lower end. Both very bassy though. Just love that voice. This is for me. I will buy another Oregon when I have the money.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:07 PM

Default We have two

I have an Oregon, no cutaway, OM size, spruce over myrtle. It has a very pleasant tone. My wife just bought the all myrtle parlor. We played it against two Bedell parlor so that cost about 1000 more. Sometimes ones ear can deceive, so after we took the Breedlove home we still went back the next day to give the Bedells (rosewood and mahogany models) a second chance at our money. We liked he all myrtle voice for finger style. Of course a small guitar is meant for finger or gentler play, but the orchestra is also at its best this way. We love our Oregons. But if you want more oomph, then I'd have another guitar in the collection.
But the Oregons are favorites in our living room. Nothing wrong with myrtle. It is an unusual and beautiful wood, and if it is readily available in the USA and sustainable, then Breedlove is ahead of the curve.

Martin D-35 50th Anniversary Limited Edition
Taylor 814
Taylor DN5--Engelman top, tropical mahogany
Taylor 412ce—LTD maple
Giannini Classical 1960s vintage
Taylor GS Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
breedlove, breedlove oregon series, martin, taylor