The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-23-2011, 06:50 PM

Default Schwartz Oracle, Michael Watts, McManus and MGS

Hello, This is my first thread as a new member. I have actually spied on this site for quite some time but felt I should officially join so I could comment on Sheldon Schwartz and his outstanding guitars. Sorry that I am too late to do a build thread but once I figure how to post some pics I will try to do that.

I first played a Schwartz Oracle in Montreal in 2008 and was immediately blown away – this for me was “the holy grail” of guitars. I had not expected to fall so completely for such a modern appearing and non-traditional looking instrument but playing it made me a true and instant believer. Shortly after the show I ordered one to be built as did a friend of mine who had also played the same guitar in Montreal - both Oracles – mine 26 inch scale and his 25.5. I play almost exclusively fingerstyle in DADGAD, Orkney, dropped D while he plays flatpick, bluegrass, some jazz mostly standard tuning. Both guitars were completed along with Masa Sumide’s SJ for Montreal last year. Through the entire process, Sheldon was a real gentleman - kind, helpful with expert advice, truthful, honest, patient and sincere with a true love of building the best guitar he can possibly build each and every time. He even completed the guitar earlier than promised! Masa recorded his latest CD with his Schwartz SJ and has said it is the best guitar he has ever played – check out the YouTube videos of Masa at the Montreal Guitar Show 2011 website http://www.montrealguitarshow.ca/default-en.aspx and at Sheldon’s website http://www.schwartzguitars.com. Also at the MGS website there is a great video of Michael Watts doing the miniconcert for Ervin Somogyi last year. Sheldon is currently completing a guitar for Eric Mongrain.

My Oracle is everything I could have hoped and much more – the best guitar I have ever played. Loud, balanced, articulate, lyrical and focused with a beautiful fundamental tone and perfect (almost angelic) series of complex overtones that are not overdone. Incredible sustain, easy playability, full and responsive to the lightest touch while content with being driven as hard as any guitar I have played. All this from Sitka (granted it is 20 years old) and Indian Rosewood. My friend’s was also the same wood combo but with old salmon trap Sitka. His guitar is as amazing as mine – somewhat different due to the different top – louder in the low end, possibly can be driven even harder, perhaps less prominent overtones. They both do what we wanted them to do perfectly.

I had the immense pleasure of hearing Michael Watts play mine in Montreal last year – truly beautiful! It was played by Ken Bonfield in mini-concert (video of that on YouTube). Ken told me it was the best guitar he has played. Tony McManus stopped at Sheldon’s booth at the end of the 2nd day. I asked him to do me the honor of playing my instrument – he then played it for almost an hour non-stop – obviously enjoying himself and making it sing! Almost everyone who has played it pauses after a few notes and says “WOW!” before continuing to play. It is that good!

I will be in Montreal with Sheldon again this year. I hope to have the pleasure of hearing Michael Watts play it again – it has matured quite a bit in a year and will sound even better than last year with his beautiful compositions. Also I am looking forward to seeing and hearing Michael play HIS new “holy grail” from Jason Kostal – sounds like a very exciting guitar. Anyone is welcome to try my instrument – I will have it in Montreal at Sheldon’s booth. Over the past 3 years I have played 3 Oracles in total – they are amazingly consistent but each tailored to the individual they were built for. My friend’s is easily a banjo-killer played with a flatpick while mine sounds like it belongs in the hands of Michael Watts, Tony McManus or Martin Simpson.

Sorry for the long post – just really passionate about this instrument and this builder. No one builder is the ultimate luthier for everyone but you owe it to yourself to try one if you get the chance.

Schwartz Oracle and Oracle SJ / Ryan Nightingale / Schoenberg Sexauer 00/ Martin Custom Shop 00 / Martin Custom Shop 00028-VSC / Schwartz 00 Coming
Old 04-24-2011, 05:25 AM

Hey Thomas, welcome the AGF, nice to see you here! I'd be delighted to see how your guitar has matured over the first year of its life! I'll see you in Montreal!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:14 AM

Great to know that I will hear this guitar played so well again! It sounded so wonderful when you played "Celandine" on it last year - great composition by a great player on a great guitar - it doesn't really get any better than that!

Schwartz Oracle and Oracle SJ / Ryan Nightingale / Schoenberg Sexauer 00/ Martin Custom Shop 00 / Martin Custom Shop 00028-VSC / Schwartz 00 Coming

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop