The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-24-2009, 08:24 AM

Default help recording an acoustic guitar.

Hi peoples.I have a tanglewood tw15ns.Its ok does the job.Only problem is that it is not an electro acoustic and i really want to make a few half decent recording.I dont have a microphone or anything of yet ust my laptop.What would people recommend would be the best way for me to record for vocal and guitar.Cheers in advance.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 AM

Buy the Zoom H2 in currently in the classifieds here for a very good price. You can then record at the computer or away from it.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 AM

I use a Zoom H4N to record my practice and get very acceptable results. This is probably one of the cheapest 'all-in-one' solutions to get high quality results.

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 08-24-2009, 12:24 PM

After doing a lot of research on this myself, I found out that the best way to record acoustic guitar is with decent mic and audio interface so you don't have to use your sound cards crappy inputs. I really couldn't find a better way that would give you decent quality.

I use two mics: Shure SM81, Shure SM57 and Profire 610 for audio interface. It's not cheapest option but it's not that expensive either and will give you pro quality if you know how to use well it and have quit room. I couldn't be happier with it.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:17 PM

I'm intrigued by the Zoom Q3, which seems to be about to hit the market at $250. Looks like a neat device for recording performances for self-critique, youtube, etc. Same mic capsules as the Zoom H4n

Product page at Sampson's website
Old 08-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halpinio View Post
Hi peoples.I have a tanglewood tw15ns.Its ok does the job.Only problem is that it is not an electro acoustic and i really want to make a few half decent recording.I dont have a microphone or anything of yet ust my laptop.What would people recommend would be the best way for me to record for vocal and guitar.Cheers in advance.
Hi halpinio...
Hello and welcome to the group. We are really glad you joined.

I second the nomination of the Zoom H2...point-n-shoot decent recording device.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-25-2009, 07:53 AM

I have the Zoom H2 (super simple and cheap). That Zoom Q3 looks cool as heck (I have a Kodak Zi6).

If I were to do it again from scratch I would get a Tascam DP-02CF for about $250 and a single Audio Technica AT4033/CL microphone for about $340.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Default Zoom H-2 Has A Terrible Built-IN Preamp - What's The Purpose of Recording?

Aloha,

What's the purpose of your recording? If it's for detailed recording or where quality, decent headroom and control are important, then avoid the Zoom H-2which has a terrible preamp section, IMO.

If it's for reporter interviews, capturing your practice or some licks, or band practices, or for party or festival recording where fine recording and a recording signal chain are unimportant, or if your budget is under $300, then the H-2 is OK.

You could mic your instrument, run it into a decent preamp, then run it through the H-2 as an interface and into your computer for better results.

Or, buy a used Digidesign MBox2 (about the same cost as an H-2) and use it to preamp, interface and convert your signal into your computer - with better results. And you get Protools LE with the MBox2, the most universal home recording studio program. (You need some space on your computer though for Protools - check their site for compatibiity of your computer's system specs).

Or, run your mics into a better preamp, then through the MBox 2 for interface, and/or add a better AD/DA converter and then into your computer.

Depending on your signal chain quality, you can get pretty good results with that simple signal chain scenario - even for gig CD's like I do. Even at its 48 mhz sampling rate, the MBox 2 will still sound better than the H-2's 96 because the H-2's preamps just are not good.

Hope this helps.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 08-25-2009 at 11:52 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification