The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Headphones

I'm toying with my new sps-1 and I love the idea of setting the EQ through headphones so you send an accurate guitar sound to the board. The problem is that my headphones were state of the art 20 yrs ago. Any suggestions for an upgrade? Thanks always.
Bat
Old 08-21-2009, 11:03 PM

Check out the Shure SRH840s. I bought them locally two months ago for a great price. They are detailed and very accurate.

Here is a link to a thread I started right before bought them and there were some great replies: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=159743

At the time I was considering some Beyerdynamic DT770s. I saved a ton of dough and am thrilled with the Shures.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Schooner. I'll check out the link right now. It's funny but I was just looking at those Beyer's.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

One of the Grado headphones - terrific. I have the 125s and the 325s.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-22-2009, 05:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Okay, I'll go into my little schtick and song and dance here. If you want headphones to record with, go with monitor headphones. I'm a recording engineer by trade. Two goals in designing headphones are different for monitor cans:

1. Ear comfort. It doesn't matter if the headphones sound great if, because of frequency spikes, they fatigue your ears after a short time.
2. When recording, you need accurate, rather than great sounding, monitors. A speaker that makes the most music sound great is often not the most accurate.

The standard in the industry is the AKG240. The current version is the 240s. Here''s my personal anecdote: The AKG240 sounds the most like our $6000 UREI recording monitors of all the many headphone designs I've encountered over my blah-blah-blah years of recording. They also can be comfortably worn for an entire shift of editing, something I can't say for any Beyer, Koss, Fostex, etc. headphone I've encountered.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, folks. Bob, I'm not an engineer and I just need them to set my eq accurately on the pendulum for live gigs. If I had read your post sooner I probably would have gotten the AKG's.
Greg Gualtieri had recommended the Beyer 770 Pro and I found a good price so I went with them.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewyatt View Post
Thanks, folks. Bob, I'm not an engineer and I just need them to set my eq accurately on the pendulum for live gigs. If I had read your post sooner I probably would have gotten the AKG's.
Greg Gualtieri had recommended the Beyer 770 Pro and I found a good price so I went with them.
Which year/impedance did you get? They all sound different.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Overtones View Post
Which year/impedance did you get? They all sound different.
Oops...I got the Pro-80's. From your handle I'm assuming you know what you're talking about. Do I need to watch out for any hype? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewyatt View Post
Oops...I got the Pro-80's. From your handle I'm assuming you know what you're talking about. Do I need to watch out for any hype? Thanks.
The 770's are bass monsters, especially the 80ohm model. If you wanted something accurate-sounding, cancel your order. They're a perfect example of a "fun but not true" mid-fi headphone.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:05 PM

Liking my Sennheiser HD 280 pros
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The 770's are bass monsters, especially the 80ohm model. If you wanted something accurate-sounding, cancel your order. They're a perfect example of a "fun but not true" mid-fi headphone.
what do you recommend?
Old 08-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Humanist

Bat,

I would recommend jettisoning this idea.

Whatever you're going to be hearing through the headphones will likely not resemble what is coming out of the house mains.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Bat,

I would recommend jettisoning this idea.

Whatever you're going to be hearing through the headphones will likely not resemble what is coming out of the house mains.
Will it resemble the sound of my guitar if I match it as best I can?
Old 08-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=Dr. Overtones;1935861]The 770's are bass monsters, especially the 80ohm model. If you wanted something accurate-sounding, cancel your order. They're a perfect example of a "fun but not true" mid-fi headphone.[/Q]

What do you recommend? Mid price range? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=Bluewyatt;1935938]
Quote:
The 770's are bass monsters, especially the 80ohm model. If you wanted something accurate-sounding, cancel your order. They're a perfect example of a "fun but not true" mid-fi headphone.[/Q]

What do you recommend? Mid price range? Thanks.
I'd go with the AKG's mentioned earlier. They're not perfect, but they'll do the job.

Otherwise, if you're okay with IEM's, get the Phonak Audeo PFE's, which I own and swear by. If you use the black filters, the freq response is very flat and should be good for EQ'ing. I like the gray filters for listening, though - they make the highs sparkle beautifully.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification