The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Blue!

Aloha,

Interesting thread.

Don't spend a lot because one thing is true - you're gonna break whatever headphones you get, sooner rather than later.

Yes, go with the most comfortable set you can find. Surrounding ears are better than overs for comfort.

Setting up my live EQ I use AKG 240's or Audio Technica ATH-50's - which ever set is working. Both comfortable and affordable. And easily and cheaply replaced.

It's live you're talking about Blue, right? Don't spend much.

For What It's Worth.

alohachris
Old 08-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha,

Interesting thread.

Don't spend a lot because one thing is true - you're gonna break whatever headphones you get, sooner rather than later.

Yes, go with the most comfortable set you can find. Surrounding ears are better than overs for comfort.

Setting up my live EQ I use AKG 240's or Audio Technica ATH-50's - which ever set is working. Both comfortable and affordable. And easily and cheaply replaced.

It's live you're talking about Blue, right? Don't spend much.

For What It's Worth.

alohachris
Aha! Makes sense. Yes, I'm talking live. It looks like the AKGs are the consensus. Thanks to all.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:24 AM

Sennheiser

Regards Marty
Old 08-23-2009, 12:32 AM

I sure like my Grado PS-1s. Not made anymore, and they're ridiculously expensive on the "try and find 'em market", but they do sound so good. I was really lucky and got them at a price I could afford at the time. The only 'phones I've heard that compare are the Stax Lambda electrostatics.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:01 PM

Here is a pretty good ratings list: Headphone Ratings The list is pretty accurate from what I have tried and seen.

I own a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770's and love them. The best part about them is the comfort. Prior to those I used a pair of Koss...the green ones with the liquid filled ear pads years ago.

How much do you want to spend?

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 08-23-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewyatt View Post
Thanks, folks. Bob, I'm not an engineer and I just need them to set my eq accurately on the pendulum for live gigs. If I had read your post sooner I probably would have gotten the AKG's.
Greg Gualtieri had recommended the Beyer 770 Pro and I found a good price so I went with them.
Hah, good choice.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 08-23-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
Here is a pretty good ratings list: Headphone Ratings The list is pretty accurate from what I have tried and seen.

I own a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770's and love them. The best part about them is the comfort. Prior to those I used a pair of Koss...the green ones with the liquid filled ear pads years ago.

How much do you want to spend?
That site's ratings actually aren't very accurate. For example, they have several Bose cans rated higher than the W5000 - the main reason from what I could see being poor high-frequency response. I doubt they took as much care as they should have in making sure the proper fit and amplification were achieved, because that is what ultimately will make any headphone shine, including the W5000. Also, Bose really don't have nearly enough of a high-frequency response to make up for the flubby bloated midbass hump that's part of their house sound.

The only site that you'll really get a semi-accurate review compilation from is Head-Fi. What it really comes down to is how it sounds to a real person's ears, because the type of testing equipment used in the kind of tests done on the site you posted will always mess with the quality of the results.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification