The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-08-2020, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Loose tuner button/shaft

My A string tuner has been getting oddly loose over the past month or so. I say oddly, because it accurately tunes the string, and holds the string in tune, but the button and shaft now freely move about a quarter turn in both directions without impacting the string tension. These are Waverly tuners and there is no adjustment screw on the exterior of the button. Anyone know what's going on here and what I can do about it?

Thanks much!
Old 04-09-2020, 01:23 AM

There is an adjustment, but it is not user serviceable. Best to contact Stew Mac and have them replace it.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Sorry, I am unclear as to what you are suggesting. Do you mean that I should get a full replacement tuner?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2020, 11:41 AM

Stewart MacDonald has a well-justified reputation for great service. They consistently replace Waverly tuners without difficulty.

Give 'em a call. . .

Frank Ford
Old 04-09-2020, 09:21 PM

Default StewMac customer service is great, but...

...the Waverley tuners seem to be quite unreliable.

I’ve had several instruments with Waverley tuners and I’ve had to order replacement tuners on two occasions as the tuners became very stiff to turn and uneven. In both cases StewMac sent replacements to the U.K. in a matter of days and at no cost.

The customer service is incredible given that in one of the cases I hadn’t brought the tuners from StewMac. It was a pre-owned Bourgeois instrument, yet replacement tuners were still sent out free of charge.

More recently I tried Schaller GrandTune open-geared on one of my builds. They are very nicely made, just like the Waverley, but are smoother and easier to turn than any Waverley I’ve tried. Will be using these where open-geared tuners are required on future builds.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Well, like everything else, StewMac is email only right now. I did send one and have not heard back. In the interim I took a video and realized that the whole shaft including the horizontal worm gear (or whatever) moves back and forth as well. This is a 15 or 16 year old guitar so it's not like these are brand new tuners, but the others are all fine so...??
We'll see what I hear back.
Appreciate the info.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:15 PM

I believe the StewMac service is great because they are actually the owners of Waverly tuners.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair