The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-30-2020, 10:32 AM

This is the "leave neck in place while reducing heel" piece I had in mind:
https://fingerlakesguitarrepair.com/...lt-neck-reset/
Old 03-30-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
This is the "leave neck in place while reducing heel" piece I had in mind:
https://fingerlakesguitarrepair.com/...lt-neck-reset/
The downside to this method is that it tilts the neck back while leaving the plane of the fingerboard extension - the portion glued to the top - at its original plane. This creates a playing surface with two planes that intersect at the body/neck juncture. This produces a progressively greater string height the further you go over the fingerboard extension. If one isn't concerned about a good/uniform playing action in the upper frets, it isn't an issue. If one actually plays the upper frets, the increased string height might not be acceptable. (it wouldn't be for me.)
Old 03-30-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
The downside to this method is that it tilts the neck back while leaving the plane of the fingerboard extension - the portion glued to the top - at its original plane. This creates a playing surface with two planes that intersect at the body/neck juncture. This produces a progressively greater string height the further you go over the fingerboard extension. If one isn't concerned about a good/uniform playing action in the upper frets, it isn't an issue. If one actually plays the upper frets, the increased string height might not be acceptable. (it wouldn't be for me.)
Agreed - not an optimum solution for the reasons you state. Mentioned only because the OP referred to wanting to keep costs down.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:03 PM

Great point about the upper frets. I do want to keep costs down but I may not mind spending a little more depending on what actually needs to be done on my specific guitar.

I've reached out via email to a few shops but some of them may be closed due to Covid-19 since I haven't received responses. I'll probably make a slow, informed decision.

I may end up reporting back to update everyone as far as price ranges and things are concerned for future reference.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:05 PM

Who'd you go with? I'm looking for someone in Los Angeles as well but on the lower end of pricing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair