The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-14-2020, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

I see this a lot. Could we be any more judgmental?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
To my mind, it’s lying. Whoever does this is trying to lie about the age and wear on his guitar, and, by extension, lie about his age and experience as a guitarist. Buy your guitar. Play same. Rinse, repeat for many years. In time, your guitar may take on the look of Glen Hansard’s or of trigger. To try to accelerate the process is falsehood. Others may differ.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
To my mind, it’s lying. Whoever does this is trying to lie about the age and wear on his guitar, and, by extension, lie about his age and experience as a guitarist. Buy your guitar. Play same. Rinse, repeat for many years. In time, your guitar may take on the look of Glen Hansard’s or of trigger. To try to accelerate the process is falsehood. Others may differ.
If someone buys an old guitar with battle scars that aren't of their own doing, are they also "lying" in your mind? I don't think anyone who buys relic guitars is going around trying to convince people of their merits as a guitarist or that they caused every mark on the guitar. Most like the way they look. Many like the way they feel already broken in, and that they sound like old guitars that would be otherwise unobtainable due to the cost. At the end of the day we're just talking about guitars, it's not that serious.

Last edited by pagedr; 01-14-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

This question is not directed at anyone, but instead the thread raises the question to me...

Are torrified tops a form of "relicing" a guitar? If so, then I am guilty as charged because I have a 2019 Taylor K14ce BE, which has one.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-14-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
This question is not directed at anyone, but instead the thread raises the question to me...

Are torrified tops a form of "relicing" a guitar? If so, then I am guilty as charged because I have a 2019 Taylor K14ce BE, which has one.

Tony
It could probably be considered so, but some guitars look beautiful in both new and "reliced" condition. Neither applies to a PRS.
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top
Old 01-14-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
I know this is a tad off topic since it's not an acoustic guitar but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1eA5_4gyQw

There's this video on youtube of this luthier going to town on this reasonably new looking PRS (by the sounds of it his client asked him to do this).

I want to know what you guys think? is this the definition of insanity doing this to a PRS? I'm just curious because over here in Australia, even an entry level PRS will easily carry a price tag of around $4,500 AUD.
PRS guitars start at $499 in America. SE Standard.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
...I don't think anyone who buys relic guitars is going around trying to convince people of their merits as a guitarist or that they caused every mark on the guitar. ...
That's my contention with this whole topic - which never gets addressed: why is there merit in scars?

If you are the best musician in the world and your instrument is well cared for and pristine why are you less admired than someone who beats the heck out of their instrument?

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-14-2020, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
That's my contention with this whole topic - which never gets addressed: why is there merit in scars?

If you are the best musician in the world and your instrument is well cared for and pristine why are you less admired than someone who beats the heck out of their instrument?
You aren’t. I don’t think there’s anything to the notion that one is more admired if their guitar has scars. As mentioned, some just like the way they look and/or play. An original 1952 blackguard Telecaster is unobtainable for most people because it’s crazy expensive to buy one. But you can get a reproduction from a number of builders that sounds, plays and looks pretty darn close to one for a fraction of the cost.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

Personally I don't care for the look, but personally I also don't care if others do.
And one claim often floated, is that it is simply another cosmetic finnish choice. Like say SunBurst, and maybe it is, I suppose. Perhaps more like when while working on a residential home renovation project in Jackson Hole. Honestly I was horrified, after painstakingly having assembled and set 4 big brand new clear fir, exposed timber trusses, all with mortise & tenon joints , all pegged with wood dowels (no steel bolts) Then the owner came in with three sets of tire chains and wanted us to beat the snot out of them

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-14-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:07 PM

With all due respect I think several of you are taking someone’s style choices too personally.

Weren’t ripped jeans in style once? Or more than once? No need to get all into the “what does it say about me if I DON’T rip my jeans??? other than you have different style choices. If someone buys brand new jeans and rips them purposefully, who cares? If there is a rack of clothes somewhere with a $5000 pair of brand new ripped jeans does it effect you in any way if you keep your jeans rip free?
Old 01-14-2020, 05:14 PM

Yeah, why get bent out of shape about it. It's just a stylistic choice. I've never bought one, but some people just like the look of old guitars, and more importantly, some people like the FEEL of older guitars. Some of these relics have some nice rounding over of their fingerboards that I've liked the feel of. Some other people won't take their minty guitars out because they are afraid of a little ding or two, well relic'ing takes care of that worry To each his own.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:30 PM

This video would help those that receive a guitar via a shipper then complain about that 1/4: hairline scratch on the back of a guitar.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

For my personal taste...If a guitar doesn’t come by a relic’d finish naturally it suggests that one wants to look the part, without the effort and joy of actually earning it. Why miss out on the fun of playing it into a relic’d state? That’s what’s cool.

Just my 2 cents. Ymmv, and all of that.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-14-2020, 06:39 PM

Have to admit, I’m a big relic fan and plan to copy this for a fraction of the price. I’ll post pics when it’s done. Right now I’m a better builder than player but this will change over time.

https://reverb.com/item/2391862-fend...paisley-r70760
Old 01-14-2020, 07:09 PM

Many here, like me, would never buy a guitar that had been taken care of (abused) like that. I suppose, those who would purchase a beat up guitar would think this is fine. The only "beat up" guitar I would ever buy would be one from Neil Young, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Woody Guthrie, or similar, that had the documented pedigree that comes from decades of hard use. Having taken meticulous care of my road guitars for decades, I prefer a cleaner look. BUT I couldn't care less what you (universal you) do with your guitars.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
...I don't think anyone who buys relic guitars is going around trying to convince people of their merits as a guitarist or that they caused every mark on the guitar....
I would state that my opinion is quite the opposite from yours. I believe a high percentage of people buying "road weary" artificially aged, faux-aged instruments are indeed doing so to look like they've put in their 10,000 hours - without doing so.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars