The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2020, 02:45 PM

Default Are some Tonewoods Less Sensitive to Humidity?

It has an adjustable truss rod which is good but I can see that the top is not 100% happy - especially the area below the bridge is uneven. It is improving with the arrival of spring but winter is coming again later this year. Will my guitar suffer endlessly each winter or will it little by little “get used to it”?

Now I am using 2 Oasis oh-5 plus and some D’Addario humidipaks

Old 04-09-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryE View Post
Will it ever adapt to life here in Northern Europe or will it forever miss Brazil?
The only way to know for sure is to not humidify it. That is rather like destructive testing: if it cracks, the humidity was too low for it.

Likely, it will forever miss Brazil.

Having said that, I'd contact the manufacturer and ask them at what relative humidity they make their guitars. Then you'll know what target for which to aim.

It isn't uncommon for lightly-built classical guitars to have fan braces telegraph through the top. That is, it isn't necessarily an indicator of humidity levels.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:14 PM

Thanks / will check with Rozini. Top in general is much better with the amount of humidification I am doing now but there is slight elevation going down from the bridge where the A and B strings are. Highest at the bridge and decreasing further down. Will check with camera at next change of strings where the braces are. This is one of the nicer classical models from Rozini so it is relatively light built I believe

Thanks for the reply- interesting theory that I hope is correct

Last edited by PerryE; 04-09-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:57 PM

Just checked and there are 7 vertical braces in total and 5 of them passing under bridge. Seems to fit with the 2 “ridges” I feel below the bridge
Old 04-10-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
For Arizona, the only 'tonewood' suitable for that climate is carbon fiber.

If you must have wood, consider laminated. It is much less sensitive than solid wood.
What he said!! I live and thrive in Las Vegas. The desert is dry and lacking in humidity. Most guitars are built and meant to survive in the 40-60% RH range. For me that means two whole house humidifiers running full time AND individual soundhole humidifiers to try to keep them from cracking and drying out. My guitar that's the least susceptible to changes in humidity and dryness is a guitar that's spruce over laminated mahogany back and sides. Laminate will withstand more, but the solid spruce top is at risk for splits and cracks.

So it depends on why you're asking. If you're looking for easy maintenance then keep them in humidified cases or a room where you can control the RH, or you can move. I'm staying in Vegas, so the struggle continues to maintain moisture. It's just what you have to do......

2017 Breedlove Oregon Concerto E
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue
1994 Guild DV72
1994 Guild D65S
2011 Taylor GC8
1995 Washburn EA20 "Festival Series"
Old 04-10-2020, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Vegas View Post
What he said!! I live and thrive in Las Vegas. The desert is dry and lacking in humidity. Most guitars are built and meant to survive in the 40-60% RH range. For me that means two whole house humidifiers running full time AND individual soundhole humidifiers to try to keep them from cracking and drying out. My guitar that's the least susceptible to changes in humidity and dryness is a guitar that's spruce over laminated mahogany back and sides. Laminate will withstand more, but the solid spruce top is at risk for splits and cracks.

So it depends on why you're asking. If you're looking for easy maintenance then keep them in humidified cases or a room where you can control the RH, or you can move. I'm staying in Vegas, so the struggle continues to maintain moisture. It's just what you have to do......
Tom, have you thought about looking around Vegas for older second hand guitars that folks haven't kept in humidified cases or rooms? I wonder if some of those have come to their natural equilibrium with the climate and so are now very stable? It could be worth a look - there may be that 10 year old D-18 or whatever that's quite happy living in the city and actually the last thing it needs now is a humidifier!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion