The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 AM

Default Takamine acoustics

Hi All,
I've noticed over the years that a lot of folks use Takamine acoustics (Eagles come to mind - I saw them a few months ago in Foxboro MA) especially live. Why is that? Is it the pick-up system or are they just really nice guitars? Obviously I don't know much about them. I've never played one.
Also, I'm partial to Jumbo body styles and I am not a fan of cut-aways on acoustics. I see on the Takamine web site that almost all of their Jumdo guitars have cutaways. I think I saw only one that didn't and that one only came in a black finish. I have nothing against black guitars but I'm just wondering why the other models only come in a cut-away.
Anybody know if they have non-cut-away models?
Thanks,
John
Old 09-03-2010, 07:27 AM

I brought one because for it's price it had the best sounding guitar plugged in.....

and it sounded okay without.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:33 AM

To me, Takamine guitars are like old Peavey amps - They are a good solid workhorse instrument that get the job done. Nothing really fancy about them, just good playing, good sounding guitars that will do the job.
I don't have one right now, but if I was going back on the road and looking for a gig-worthy acoustic/electric, a Tak would be on my short list.

Rev George
Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 AM

Takamine = Big bang for the buck. Every one I own I first liked the look, then liked the way it played, and finally liked the price.

Blessings,
garyj

Martin D45, Breedlove NW, PRS Howard Leese, Ramirez 1a
Takamine EF77, Vicente Carrillo Gabriela, Yamaha LJ36, R Taylor S1
Yamaha AEX1500, Takamine H8SS, Yamaha FG, Martin 0-45S
Blackbird Rider, Martin 00-42K2 Robbie R, Yamaha CSF100K
Fender Custom Strat, Woolson Double Top Parlor
UKE'S - SCGC Koa, Collings UT3, Ko'olua Custom
Moore Bettah, Martin 5K, Kamaka, Blackbird
Old 09-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

I've had some experience with them.Excellent pre amps.

I would recommend the higher end ones made in Japan.Those are truly first class instuments.

Have not been impressed with their "G" series.

Last edited by guitargabor; 09-03-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:04 AM

folkman2,

Many touring pros use Takamines because of the consistent plug-and-play nature of the guitars. They are not overly expensive, while they take-a-licking-and-keep-on-ticking. The company also sponsors artist to use their guitars.

Takamine has or has had a few non-cutaway jumbo models. Search both the active and inactive categories for some models. In slightly smaller bodies they offer the Nex and OM models. Both without cutaways.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywj View Post
Takamine = Big bang for the buck. Every one I own I first liked the look, then liked the way it played, and finally liked the price.
+1 for this opinion. Takamine makes a good guitar for a great price that is designed to be played plugged in.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian a. View Post
Takamine has or has had a few non-cutaway jumbo models. Search both the active and inactive categories for some models.
+1 here, I picked up an 82' F360 S recently... Sweetest guitar I've had! Beautifully matured sound, it's a Martin D28 lawsuit model and people think it's a martin by look and sound! Anyway, just my 2p
Old 09-03-2010, 02:41 PM

I had the ply version of their D-28 copy back in the mid '70s and it was a heck of a guitar for the price point, even with that laminated top. After getting it, I finally realized what those Martin look-alikes were in all the Eagles' onstage photos.

I always assumed they used them because they were good sounding, well built guitars that weren't so expensive you felt they needed to be babied when touring. But I guess without asking Glenn Frey himself, we may never know.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 09-03-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
I would recommend the higher end ones made in Japan.Those sre truly first class instuments.
Exactly. Their higher end guitars are made in Japan. These guitars just don't the credit they deserve.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:44 PM

my 1963 Takamine is a wonderful nylon string, sounds great and is a real beauty to boot.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkman2 View Post
Hi All,
I've noticed over the years that a lot of folks use Takamine acoustics (Eagles come to mind - I saw them a few months ago in Foxboro MA) especially live. Why is that? Is it the pick-up system or are they just really nice guitars? Obviously I don't know much about them. I've never played one.
Also, I'm partial to Jumbo body styles and I am not a fan of cut-aways on acoustics. I see on the Takamine web site that almost all of their Jumdo guitars have cutaways. I think I saw only one that didn't and that one only came in a black finish. I have nothing against black guitars but I'm just wondering why the other models only come in a cut-away.
Anybody know if they have non-cut-away models?
Thanks,
John
I just received a Takamine EF241S this week, the black jumbo you were referring to. Looks a bit different than the one pictured on the Takamine website (different bridge and added pickguard). It's a fantastic guitar for the price! I do wish they would produce more non-cutaways too. Would love to get my hands on the discontinued NP-15.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilfan855 View Post
Would love to get my hands on the discontinued NP-15.
An NP-15c was my first pro level acoustic electric in the 90s. I loved that guitar and played it hard. These days I don't think I'd like it as much because of the wood combo (cedar/mahogany), since I'm still primarily a strummer. But I'm happy to have a lot of fond memories of it. If I ever see one for sale I'll certainly check it out though...
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 AM

I have just sold a Takamine AN10 all solid wood guitar MIJ.
To be honest, I really didn't get on with it. It was comfortable and had a simplistic beauty to it, but for the money it costs I think you can do far better.
I certainly do not agree that they are good value on the basis of this guitar.
I believe that things go in cycles - you use to get hundreds of Ovations played on stage - now it seems you get hundreds of Taks.
I have heard their pre-amp is very good, but have not any experience of it.
If I work out how - I'll try and attach a picture of my old AN10.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywj View Post
Definitely considering the TF430SS now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion