The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-14-2010, 07:04 PM

Default Record direct from Fishman Aura Spectrum?

Has anyone had success at recording from a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI direct to an audio interface? While I have decent mics, recording and monitoring equipment, my room acoustics are poor to say the least. Way too much "home" noise for recording. I like using portable recorders (I have an Olympus LS-10) for practice and capturing ideas, but the two I've tried were just are OK at best for tracking.

I'm only a hobbiest who plays just a bit better than I sing, and I can't justify a room remodel and renovation. So your thoughts on the subject will be helpful.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 02-14-2010, 08:20 PM

No reason you could not do this, Tom.

For example, I've gone from the Spectrum straight into the Zoom H4n with decent results.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs2 View Post
Has anyone had success at recording from a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI direct to an audio interface? While I have decent mics, recording and monitoring equipment, my room acoustics are poor to say the least. Way too much "home" noise for recording. I like using portable recorders (I have an Olympus LS-10) for practice and capturing ideas, but the two I've tried were just are OK at best for tracking.

I'm only a hobbiest who plays just a bit better than I sing, and I can't justify a room remodel and renovation. So your thoughts on the subject will be helpful.

That certainly can be done. It will sound like a UST mixed with an Aura.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:43 PM

Default Same question

I was wondering the exact same thing.

While Fishman says that Aura is modeling microphones and that it "can" be used for directly recording, they don't seem to really promote the fact. Check out the online manual for the new DI. There is only small mention. They just say it can be fed directly for PA or recording, but they recommend plugging into an amp first.

Am I missing something here? What is the point of modeling high-end microphones if the end goal is not to be able to plug it into an interface or amp-then-interface directly?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:20 PM

Thanks for your input. I guess what I'm asking is how will incorporating the Aura imporve the sound, if at all? I've recorded direct from my pickup/preamp and have even used a condensor mic in combination with the pickup. The recording I've made have just been OK.

I've just ordered one and I'm hoping that the sound of a UST mixed with an Aura will be an improvement. I don't expect it to be be as clean and pristine as using a matched pair of Schoeps CMC6 mics through a nice preamp but, I'm just trying to take the poor room acoustics out of my recording equation.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 02-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs2 View Post
Thanks for your input. I guess what I'm asking is how will incorporating the Aura imporve the sound, if at all? I've recorded direct from my pickup/preamp and have even used a condensor mic in combination with the pickup. The recording I've made have just been OK.

I've just ordered one and I'm hoping that the sound of a UST mixed with an Aura will be an improvement. I don't expect it to be be as clean and pristine as using a matched pair of Schoeps CMC6 mics through a nice preamp but, I'm just trying to take the poor room acoustics out of my recording equation.
You will take the room and extraneous environmental noise out of your recordings. You will add the the digital artifacts and hash from the Aura.

Try close micing with just the condenser and compare.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber