The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 11-20-2016, 08:29 PM
TheChicagoTodd TheChicagoTodd is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaichine View Post
Thanks for the detailed review! Congrats! Im a big blackbird fan.
Thx Thaichine!

Me too!



Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-20-2016, 08:31 PM
TheChicagoTodd TheChicagoTodd is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
That does look very nice. But I understand what you (or was it Joe?) meant about that headstock. That looks very complicated, and frankly I wouldn't mind at all if Joe simplified the design with a more traditional solid design.
Hi Steve....

My initial impressions of the headstock were not that great before I even ordered it. However since I now have it is really kind of grown on me because it is pretty unique in its construction. I thought I remembered Joe saying something about it being a little too difficult to deal with so we'll see what happens in the future.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Last edited by TheChicagoTodd; 11-20-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-20-2016, 09:00 PM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A mile over sea level in CO
Posts: 3,548
Default

Thanks for a great insightful post. That is the most woody non-wood guitar I've ever seen. Looks very nice and exotic, and the headstock doesn't bother me ( but Seagull headstocks do). And you are right about those inlays, they are gorgeous! Classy bling and very reminiscent of some Gibson acoustics.
__________________
'15 Martin D Jr2
'18 Journey OF660
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-20-2016, 09:16 PM
JoeCharter JoeCharter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8,553
Default

Congrats on the new guitar and thank you for the detailed review.

IMHO the El Capitan is the most attractive non wood guitar on the market.
__________________
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

* My YouTube Channel * My Facebook Page *
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-20-2016, 09:49 PM
TheChicagoTodd TheChicagoTodd is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Thanks for a great insightful post. That is the most woody non-wood guitar I've ever seen. Looks very nice and exotic, and the headstock doesn't bother me ( but Seagull headstocks do). And you are right about those inlays, they are gorgeous! Classy bling and very reminiscent of some Gibson acoustics.
Thx Steel vibe!

This does sound like a wood guitar, its certainly unique and IMHO sounds fantastic!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-20-2016, 10:55 PM
JerryM JerryM is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oregon Coast
Posts: 886
Default

I think the new material has a lot going for it, and if they ever come out with a small guitar in that material like a OO or even OOO in short scale I will be one of the first customers!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-21-2016, 12:01 AM
TheChicagoTodd TheChicagoTodd is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I think the new material has a lot going for it, and if they ever come out with a small guitar in that material like a OO or even OOO in short scale I will be one of the first customers!
JerryM....

Well see what Joe and his team have planned...something is brewing over there...not sure what.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Thx Steel vibe!

This does sound like a wood guitar, its certainly unique and IMHO sounds fantastic!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-21-2016, 02:12 AM
sirwhale sirwhale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
JerryM....

Well see what Joe and his team have planned...something is brewing over there...not sure what.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago



Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Thanks Todd, I have been following El Capitan since it was first announced. I am also a huge fan of Blackbird and love my L13. I emailed them about a year ago asking if there were any plans for an OM in eKoa, they replied that they didn't have any plans for a Super OM in eKoa, so I guess I wasn't specific enough in my question.

I think, from what I can tell, that the L13 is probably their most successful development so far; its a very popular guitar. I can't imagine they would want to bring out an eKoa guitar that would rival it, and so, that's why I guessed that an OM size would be good. A lot of traditionalists would consider an eKoa OM but would not consider the carbon fibre Super OM that they currently offer.

Anyway, I will continue to be waiting patiently for the next eKoa release!
__________________
Christian
Guitar: Camps Primera Negra A (a flamenco guitar)
Strings: Aquila Rubino, Knobloch CX, Aquila Alchemia
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-21-2016, 03:15 AM
Explorer Explorer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 570
Default

Congratulations on the new(ish) guitar!

That video link you posted is missing a question mark, so here's the video itself.



I've had Rainsong guitars for years, and like the crystalline tone more than a woody tone. I can see trying a Blackbird eKoa instrument in the future though, especially after they add a cutaway, which I use quite a bit.

I actually like that headstock quite a bit. It looks like neck dive would never be a worry with this kind of construction.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-21-2016, 03:23 AM
ac ac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,643
Default

Was adding a corrected YouTube link--but Explorer just did it . . .
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-21-2016, 06:18 AM
TheChicagoTodd TheChicagoTodd is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Thanks Todd, I have been following El Capitan since it was first announced. I am also a huge fan of Blackbird and love my L13. I emailed them about a year ago asking if there were any plans for an OM in eKoa, they replied that they didn't have any plans for a Super OM in eKoa, so I guess I wasn't specific enough in my question.

I think, from what I can tell, that the L13 is probably their most successful development so far; its a very popular guitar. I can't imagine they would want to bring out an eKoa guitar that would rival it, and so, that's why I guessed that an OM size would be good. A lot of traditionalists would consider an eKoa OM but would not consider the carbon fibre Super OM that they currently offer.

Anyway, I will continue to be waiting patiently for the next eKoa release!
Sir Whale...thx! This is really my only acoustic now, other than my travel guitar, and I'm obviously infatuated... ;-).

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-21-2016, 06:19 AM
TheChicagoTodd TheChicagoTodd is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Congratulations on the new(ish) guitar!

That video link you posted is missing a question mark, so here's the video itself.



I've had Rainsong guitars for years, and like the crystalline tone more than a woody tone. I can see trying a Blackbird eKoa instrument in the future though, especially after they add a cutaway, which I use quite a bit.

I actually like that headstock quite a bit. It looks like neck dive would never be a worry with this kind of construction.
Thx sir, I've corrected the original.

Cheers..

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-21-2016, 07:33 AM
jonfields45 jonfields45 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 3,256
Default

Hi Todd,

It seems the saddle (at least at the high e) is about as low as it will go. Is Joe at Blackbird confident that it will never shift in the future since a neck reset is out of the question?

I had a similar concern about my RainSong H-DR1100N2 and they told me it will not change over time. Here are my pics after installing a Mi-Si Trio, which I am very happy with after playing several gigs in noisy and quiet rooms.





__________________
- Jon Fields

RainSong '17 CH-PA1100NS, '18 CO-PA1100NS, TKL 8975, Taped Passive HFN, Elixir PB11
RainSong '19 V-DR1100N2, TKL 8810, no pickup, Elixir PB11

1 QSC CP8 high/behind, duo gigging no mixer 2 SM58>XLR-Y>CP8, HFN>HxStomp(jf45ir)>TRS>CP8 3.5mm

jonfields45@gmail.com
www.justsoduo.com
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-21-2016, 12:06 PM
J.R. Rogers's Avatar
J.R. Rogers J.R. Rogers is offline
AGF Owner & Founder
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 8,279
Default

I think that's a great looking guitar. I really like the top and the headstock is unique. No neck heel! Sounds good from what I could hear. Would love to play one of these someday... Nah, I would love to HAVE one of these. Thank you for the great review.

JR
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 PM
TheChicagoTodd TheChicagoTodd is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I think that's a great looking guitar. I really like the top and the headstock is unique. No neck heel! Sounds good from what I could hear. Would love to play one of these someday... Nah, I would love to HAVE one of these. Thank you for the great review.

JR
Thx JR! Joe and his team do a great job!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=