The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-16-2020, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Yes, when I feel the urge. I ALWAYS "tap" on the back beat, though. When I'm sitting with a group of other players I'm the only one who feels the beat on the 2 and 4. It's somewhat embarrassing, but I've been doing it for 50 years and I'm not about to change that any easier than changing my left-handedness.

Luckily, there's no handedness with instruments , so I play "right-handed" just fine.
"Nobody here can dance like me
Everybody's clapping on the one and the three
Am I the last of my kind?
Am I the last of my kind?"

Jason Isbell said that, so you are in good company, Rudy.

I have to make a conscious effort to emphasize the back beat, but it sure improves the groove!

https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491
Old 01-17-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Yes, when I feel the urge. I ALWAYS "tap" on the back beat, though. When I'm sitting with a group of other players I'm the only one who feels the beat on the 2 and 4. It's somewhat embarrassing, but I've been doing it for 50 years and I'm not about to change that any easier than changing my left-handedness.

Luckily, there's no handedness with instruments , so I play "right-handed" just fine.
I often tap my right foot on 1,2,3 and 4 and my left on 1 and 3.
I find that I'm more comfortable tapping my foot on 1 and 3,but when I clap or tap my hand, it's on 2 and 4 . . . Strange - I'd never analysed it till now.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 01-17-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney View Post
Iíve always tapped my left foot (Iím right handed; do lefties tap their right foot?) while playing guitar, bass, even piano much of the time (though my left hand can substitute if it has a steady pattern). I donít remember if someone advised me to do this, but it absolutely helps keep a steady beat.
I alternate between feet. I'm right handed but tap either my left foot or my right foot. Sometimes I alternate but try to avoid that as I've seen people play on stage alternating between feet and it looks like a groovin pigeon.

Enjoying the discussion about tapping on 1 and 3 verses 2 and 4. I've always tapped on 1 and 3 but learning some new songs that need tapping on the 2 and 4 back beat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write