The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-28-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_F View Post
I have been taking a break from classical right now too. I get psoriasis and it has gone into my nails a little bit. It tends to come and go. Right now it is bothering me so I can't maintain my nails like I usually do. I find for steel-string that having a perfect nail isn't as necessary.

I don't plan on taking a break forever. I am trying to get my nails back in shape. But, so far no luck. The bad thing is, for classical there is really no substitute for good nails. Many have tried to use various methods to produce a good sound on classical without nails, but it's hard.

I actually do like the sound of bare flesh on the classical, but I find my fingers get sore. If I kept at it, I'm sure my skin would build up some resistance. But, iti just gets frustrating that you work so hard on playing beautiful music to be foiled by a fingernail! hahaha..

Oh well, I'm having fun right now playing steel-string.

Martin
Me too. P hit me in my 20's. I had a decent classical guitar repertoire and had thought of trying to book gigs and so on and it quickly came to a halt. In fact I totally gave up classical guitar and was very disappointed.

About 5 years ago I found this guy, https://rmclassicalguitar.com/

So now I'm back to playing mostly classical guitar. I figure it's totally out of my control. I simply cannot maintain fingernails with P. It's impossible but I'm no longer going to let it let me down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical