The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-13-2019, 06:03 AM

Default Separate audio interface

I am keen to have a go at direct recording some acoustic guitar to my PC... You'll have to forgive my ignorance with this question. Some have told me I need a separate audio interface between the guitar and PC. I have a BOSS ACS Live amp with USB out, would this not do the same job?

Jeg
Old 05-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jegero View Post
I am keen to have a go at direct recording some acoustic guitar to my PC... You'll have to forgive my ignorance with this question. Some have told me I need a separate audio interface between the guitar and PC. I have a BOSS ACS Live amp with USB out, would this not do the same job?

Jeg
Yes and no (or yes sort of) . Yes the USB output from the ACS can go directly to computer and DAW for digital recording,editing and mixing. And you can certainly get started using that .

But :: You will be limited to monitoring the results from the DAW from via your computer audio outs (either onboard or outboard computer speakers or headphone outs) Which is doable.

But the computer sound card converters, analog circuits and outputs, are very inexpensive and marginal for monitoring.
The analog I/O circuits, preamps, and converters on most reasonable audio interfaces are arguably significantly better quality sound.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-13-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Jeg
Hi Jeg

Sure - it will do a basic recording from the amp to a computer. Not as flexible as a stand alone digital audio interface, but it would do in pinch.

Give it a try (it just takes a USB cable between them and recording software to capture).

Have you ever done digital recordings to your computer from a device connected this way?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-13-2019, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the replies, no I’ve never done any recording at all. I gave it a quick try tonight using studio one 4 and got it to record to a track but there was no waveform showin?? It did playback through the amp though.... presonus do a “studiobox” kit with interface, con mic and cans... has anyone used it?

Jeg
Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, no I’ve never done any recording at all. I gave it a quick try tonight using studio one 4 and got it to record to a track but there was no waveform showin?? It did playback through the amp though.... presonus do a “studiobox” kit with interface, con mic and cans... has anyone used it?

Jeg
Check the preferences in the software and see what you have to change to have the usb the input for recording. You probably will have to look at this with everything hooked up the computer. Otherwise you can try a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4 usb interface:

Focusrite 2i2

Other options to record are the Zoom hand held portable recorders. I use a H5 with two external mics for my "serious" recordings and a Focusrite 2i4 for at my desk for quick experimental recordings and practice.

I'm just using regular ol' computer speakers (Logitech 5.1 system) as monitors for now. I may get better ones down the road, but I'm not sure I want to hear what I really sound like

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD