The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-11-2018, 09:23 AM
Guest 928

I do not have a Journey, but I was on the forum when the Journey was announced. It took a while between the announced guitar (virtual reality) and when the guitar actually showed up. The reason for the delay was quality control--the maker wanted to produce the best possible instrument and spent the time and money to make the possibility real.

What was particularly nice was that the Journey maker, like the makers of RS, Emerald, and Blackbird, talked with us forum members. Let us know how things were going and listening to our comments. There has been a personal interaction between CF makers and CF players that has led, I believe to something other than a simple commercial transaction--everyone cares.

I think what I'm trying to say here is that CF makers take pride in their product and deal with any problems that may emerge. The Journey is a safe try.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:18 AM

I have a OF660 and i´m very pleased with it. I like the warm and mellow sound but im not quite happy with the neck profile. The Of660 is my first carbon guitar and i´m surprised how sweetand clear this material can sound. It sounds great as long as i play only with fingers. With a pick the sound is a little bit too harsh for me. The neck off and on works great and its a real easy to handle travelmate.
I found this great helpful forum here and i just can say: it´s dangerous for the wallet to read here. I have ordered an Emerald x7..
Greetings from Norway
Old 09-11-2018, 10:30 AM

Welcome Katwel. Nice comments and welcome to the forum!
Old 09-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Guest 928

There are a number of entry points for CF addiction. The Cargo, X7, Blackbird Riders, all revved up the push for more CF. The Journey is a good start, the X7 will move you along. And then, there's so much more. Enjoy.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katwel View Post
I have a OF660 and i´m very pleased with it. I like the warm and mellow sound but im not quite happy with the neck profile. The Of660 is my first carbon guitar and i´m surprised how sweetand clear this material can sound. It sounds great as long as i play only with fingers. With a pick the sound is a little bit too harsh for me. The neck off and on works great and its a real easy to handle travelmate.
I found this great helpful forum here and i just can say: it´s dangerous for the wallet to read here. I have ordered an Emerald x7..
Greetings from Norway
I play mainly with fingers but occasionally with a pick. I found the OF660 to be quite pick sensitive with heavier/thicher picks sounding better to my ear. Have you tried a selection of picks with this guitar?
Old 09-12-2018, 12:10 PM

No, in did´nt trying different picks,i used to play only with fingers.Was just trying for courisosity and did´nt like the sound compared to my wood guitars. But maybe with better skills it would sound much better..
Old 09-13-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katwel View Post
Greetings from Norway
All the youtubes that I have listened to of this confirms what you have said katwel, it does have a warm sound. I like the minimalist design of it. I think as others said, as this company has more time, they will refine it more, but for the price, this is an awesome camping guitar!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-14-2018, 05:07 PM

My cf bike like my cf guitar.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:16 PM
Guest 928

So, does that sort of interaction result in a guitarcycle?
Old 09-14-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
So, does that sort of interaction result in a guitarcycle?
Silly Unc... its a bikitar..I think you knew that and was just trying to make up a new word.. good effort though.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-14-2018, 06:54 PM

Do carbon fiber guitar players dream of electric sheep?

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-14-2018, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Do carbon fiber guitar players dream of electric sheep?
Do you have an issue with acoustic sheep?
Old 09-14-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Do you have an issue with acoustic sheep?

Nooooooot me.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-14-2018, 08:16 PM

While I have two CF guitars (Old X7 round-hole model and Rainsong Shorty) my Journey is also a wood model - the OF420B (burst). I also haven’t had a problem with it coming together or apart, I have been able to adjust the action with a quarter turn of the truss rod, and it sounds huge for its size. I do have one slight issue with mine - the D and G strings at the bridge are further apart than the rest of the strings - but it’s minor and hasn’t affected my playing. It sounds equally good fingerpicked or strummed, and sounds just fine plugged in, two. I have now had it for a year, and have made two lengthy trips with it, as well as numerous car trips and a few hikes, and it has always come through for me.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:57 AM

Default OF660

I also bought an OF660 from LA Guitar Sales. Great service from Ted. I searched and tried many different options for travel. I could not find one that had this same combination of durability (carbon fiber) and the excellently designed backpack case. I was searching mainly for airline travel/hotel playing purposes, and the package that Journey put together seems to be the best option for those purposes. I've also taken it on car trips to the beach and the size of the case allows for very compact packing and worry-free traveling in the car.

No, the sound is not what my Martin can deliver, but for playing in a hotel late at night it is quite good. I actually wanted a quieter guitar in the hotel and for traveling. Amplified, through a Fishman Artist, it sounds excellent.

The backpack as mentioned is wonderful design for overhead storage, even on a full flight. If you are buying for purposes of travel, especially by plane, I can't think of a better option for worry-free trips.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber