The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 03:46 PM

Hi Ed,

I've been threatening to order a Halcyon for bar gigging for several years, but one thing or another (i.e. money) has kept me. It's looking pretty good this year, so I popped on the site to see what's new.

I noticed the finish is "hand rubbed satin varnish." I don't recall this being the case a few years ago when I almost pulled the trigger. Has this changed, or did I just miss it?

And most importantly, can I get a poly finish for an upcharge? My wild strumming and rowdy bar lifestyle does not fit well with hand rubbed satin.

Cheers!

Last edited by bkharmony; 05-02-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDes View Post
Glad to see this thread thriving. I got on Ed's build list a couple months ago, even payed a visit to his shop and played some great-sounding guitars.

Current plan is an L-00 Lutz/Walnut 13 fret, although there's a small chance I'll switch to an OM when the time comes.

I assume this is the Nick Lucas type deeper body ? I have a SCGC and love it and have been thinking about this as my second Halcyon, though I'm leaning toward a Gibson shape jumbo. I really like the deeper base of the NL that's more challenging with an OM. My Halcyon OM has strong thumpy bass, which I like, but next time I'm looking for something a bit more dread like in presence without being boomy, and I think the NL can get a bit boxy sounding even with exquisite builders (my Santa Cruz is the example I'm basing this on). I think it depends on what you are going to play on it —*for more all around play, I think the OM might be more versatile, though I have not played one of Ed's Nick Lucas shape, so would love to hear his comments here.

Can't wait to see/hear what you get!

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 05-01-2015, 07:56 PM

Was talking w Ed today and asked if taking my OM from 14->13 fret would change anything tonally. He said it might add a bit more bass. He didn't offer an explanation, which is fine. I assume this is because the bridge would be moved more towards the belly of the guitar. I don't really go far up the fretboard, so this might be an option for me. But then again, would it defeat the purpose of the OM? I have always thought of OMs as having the strength of balance in highs, lows, and mids. I'm getting one shot at this with the Mrs, so I want to make this as much of a quiver killer as possible.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 05-01-2015, 10:47 PM

I think it also has to do with pushing the bridge farther away from the x crossing, making a larger triangle between the wings and the x joint, as well as moving the string anchor point back automatically causing you to strum closer to the middle of the string.

We can do a deep body OM as well, if bass is the goal...
Old 05-02-2015, 05:17 AM

Bass isn't the goal. I think I'm just over thinking it... I think. Idle minds... we'll chat before my build starts. Till then, I'll just listen to what everyone else has to say and your feedback along the way.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 05-02-2015, 05:52 AM

Reading through this thread (parts of it) I am interested! What type of neck profile do the om/000 guitars have?
Old 05-02-2015, 09:22 AM

Our necks are c shaped, with a 15-21 compound radius. Based off of a Larrivee neck.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:27 PM

000JB, I think the default fretboard has a graduated radius and the neck itself is a C shape.
As to T268 thinking about a 13 fret join on his OM, it would deepen the sound some overall not just the bass. If you like an OM why change that? Just to be different? If you want to soften up the action then change the scale to 25', in essence making it a 000.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:21 PM

Our 000 shape and OM shapes are different. You can get different scale lengths on either. The primary difference is the neck joint, 12 for 000, 14 for OM, though the shape below the waist is more or less the same.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:38 PM

Default Halcyon thread

Ed- are you going to have Torrified Lutz tops as a regular upgrade, or is it just an occasional availability? I know I'm months away from the start of my lefty MJ Cutaway, but I'd love to get a torrified top- and didn't know if I could reserve one?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:55 PM

Default Ratio

Ed, what would you say is the ratio of Halcyon to Tinker guitars you build?
Old 05-04-2015, 07:41 PM

Bkharmony...the finish has always be the same. You could get poly if you paid he uptick (I'd have to price it out as it would be subcontracted), but a thick finish is not a friend to tone...

Pjrobets, I'm not sure what the question was. I'd say our NL-00 definitely has a lot of thumpy bass without sounding boxy. It feels much like a dread to play in that it seems very 'bass forward' as opposed to an OM which is a more balanced sound. I really lik the model, and we make them a lot.

fountainhead, yes torrefied lutz is now on the menu. 160$ presently including torrefied adi bracing...

sprucedup, I'd say it's about 40 to 1...
Old 05-04-2015, 07:46 PM

I really gotta give these play when I next stop by the Guitar Store.

Proud owner of an Edwinson
Old 05-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post

Pjrobets, I'm not sure what the question was. I'd say our NL-00 definitely has a lot of thumpy bass without sounding boxy. It feels much like a dread to play in that it seems very 'bass forward' as opposed to an OM which is a more balanced sound. I really lik the model, and we make them a lot.

fountainhead, yes torrefied lutz is now on the menu. 1...
Hi Ed, no real question yet ...was mostly singing praises of the Nick Lucas body to Johnny... my Halcyon and Santa Cruz have very similar playability characteristics (best out of my lot), so I'm leaning more toward a bigger sound because the OM has filled in the lighter end ... just need to get my new reservation in for a spot in your growing wait list:-) Also, I don't think most people have played a deeper 00, so I always recommend folks try them out with the right builder (at least not in my circles, which are mostly electric players or refugees). I'll be interested to hear how you compare your jumbos (MJ, AJ, SJ) compare to the NL ... do you consider all these slope shoulders, or something different? One thing that will help me decide though, is what is getting the axe from my current arsenal.

Can't wait to hear the torrefied samples. If I remember correctly you were being cautious on your initial judgements on your FB update. Lots of air time about these recently.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 05-04-2015, 09:18 PM

Johnny C...

I'll be at the Guitar Store tomorrow at around noon, with a NL-00 in tow...

My initial opinions of torrefied wood is very favorable. I don't make any claims towards a vintage sound or anything, but it is definitely doing something that standard wood is not.

Can't wait to crack into a few more if I get the chance, but there's precious little time for spec building these days...
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop