The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
However, how can you be so sure that CF can't sound as good as (or better than) wood?
Because it's not wood. More to the point, who cares? Why does it need to sound like wood? CF is an entity unto itself, why should it have to sound like anything other than CF?
Old 12-15-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Plus one Brian, CF can, and does sound as good, and even better than at least a dozen wood guitar brands I can think of. As for esthetics, that's up to the individual of course but I think my Rainsong Black Ice dreadnought looks rather good.

Wow! Really?

Ted for someone who's not heard a CF guitar in person, please tell us the ones that sound worse that a CF guitar. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbuck View Post
Wow! Really?

Ted for someone who's not heard a CF guitar in person, please tell us the ones that sound worse that a CF guitar. Thanks!
You wont catch me listing any brands publicly but they are made of wood and are inferior in my opinion to my favorite CF guitars.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:49 PM

Hmmmm? We are keeping this nice, Right?
CF guitars are easily equal in sound quality to many upper end instruments. It is easy to recognize the quality in many of the available models.
The inherent tone of an instrument does not always appeal to everyone. Regardless of brand or materials used. Some do not care for the CLARITY of CF guitars. At least at first..... Many folks come to like them after a short time playing one. Others are not willing to accept an instrument not made with traditional materials.
None of this is good or bad in and of itself, only the manner the writer uses to let others know that they do not care for a particular instrument is good or bad. GF instruments are made quite well and their sound is excellent. But if yiou do not care for the clarity, then they are not for you.
CF is not better OR worse than wood.........
Old 12-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

I'll list 'em.... LOL not really.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbuck View Post
This sounds rather condescending to me Capt. Jim. Heaven forbid that I don't blindly bow down at the altar of CF and "open" my mind to all the CF has to offer.

If you would like to buy me a CF guitar, I would gladly play it, but until then I'll choose what make of guitar that I spend my money on.

I've been playing almost 50 years too and I currently choose to play a Gibson J-60 spruce /walnut. Yum yum!
Easy boy. I absolutely did not mean to come across as condescending.

Allow me to explain a bit... I am a boat guy. I drive other peoples' boats for pay. I like sailboats and powercruisers. I do not like jetskis. I would say my mind is closed to jetskis. A Dodge truck guy isn't going to care much for a Chevy Aveo. Yep, closed mind. If you have already made up your mind that you like only wood and will not like CF, you won't (I don't mean YOU specifically, I mean y'all, as in anyone reading this). That's OK by me. Take a look at this thread, and you will see posts from people who have never played a carbon fiber guitar, but already know they won't like it. I would definitely call that a closed mind. Not a bad thing necessarily, and I don't really care what someone else plays.

As far as altars, I don't give a rat's rear what alter you bow down to, if any at all. I have 4 nice wood guitars and one carbon fiber. I like 'em all. There was a time I would not have considered a carbon fiber. Then, I tried one. It surprised me, in a good way. Like 'em, don't like 'em - fine by me.

I won't be buying you a guitar. Well, maybe if you had been nicer in your response, but certain not now. I am also not suggesting in ANY way what guitar someone else should buy, including you. Not my place. I was simply stating my experience. No need for the indignant response - everyone gets to vote with their dollars. Near as I can tell, you are the only one who interpreted my remarks this way. If anyone else feels I came across as condescending, I issue this public apology, as that was ABSOLUTELY not my intent. It is hard to know what you might like until you try it. And if you choose not to try it, that's fine, too.

I hope by that "Yum yum!" comment you were not suggesting we should ALL go out and buy J-60s. Unless, of course, you intend to buy us all J-60s, and then we will happily play them. Yeah, that's intended to be humorous. Unless, of course, your mind is closed to humor. Yep, more kidding. If you've been playing for 50 years, you're probably old enough to remember what Lenny Bruce said about people who can't take a joke.

I have a Gibson, a 1965 ES335, that I bought new when I was 13 years old. My first nice acoustic was a Gibson Gospel, back in the 70s. I've tried a J-60. Nice guitar. See, you and I probably have more in common than you might think. I get along fine with all my neighbors, my wife still likes me after 40+ years, and my cat thinks I am great. I don't tell any of them what guitar to buy, either.

Got to run for now... I'm off to go knocking on doors... "Have you heard the good news? I would like to share these pamphlets with you about carbon fiber. If you were to meet your luthier today, would you be able to face him and say you know about all the options available?"

Yep, more humor. Have a laugh and don't take my posts so serious. I find it kinda funny that people who don't think much of carbon fiber guitars spend any time at all on these threads.

Merry Christmas (hand extended for a shake),
Jim

Last edited by Captain Jim; 12-15-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:57 PM

We're cool Jim.

I've learned not to take anything too seriously on an internet forum.

Just because I don't own a CF guitar doesn't mean I won't try one or even own one in the future. I'm very open minded to see what they have to offer.

Merry Christmas to you too (I'm shaking your hand)

Chuck
Old 12-15-2013, 09:41 PM

Nicely done, gentlemen.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I'll list 'em.... LOL not really.
I own them
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-16-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martind42 View Post
Because it's not wood.
So now you're saying it's impossible for a CF instrument to sound as good as (or better than) wood? I wonder if anyone has informed Yo-Yo Ma that those CF cellos he's paying top dollar for don't sound as good as wood?

Quote:
More to the point, who cares? Why does it need to sound like wood? CF is an entity unto itself, why should it have to sound like anything other than CF?
CF guitars do not need to sound like wood. However, it's a lot easier to convince someone who has only owned wood guitars to give CF a chance if the guitar sounds like they expect a guitar to sound. Many guitarists trying CF for the first time don't like what they hear because it doesn't sound like what they're used to. I'll bet not more than 1 in 1000 guitar players could tell that my CA Vintage Performer is not wood in a blind listening test. No one hears that guitar and thinks it sounds like CF. Some CF people actually would prefer their guitars not sound like wood; they prefer the pure sound of CF. However, it can be darn difficult to convince someone to give CF a chance when they don't like the tone they hear because it's not what they're used to.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
So now you're saying it's impossible for a CF instrument to sound as good as (or better than) wood? I wonder if anyone has informed Yo-Yo Ma that those CF cellos he's paying top dollar for don't sound as good as wood?
Nope, I never said that. Don't put words in my mouth.

Quote:
CF guitars do not need to sound like wood. However, it's a lot easier to convince someone who has only owned wood guitars to give CF a chance if the guitar sounds like they expect a guitar to sound. Many guitarists trying CF for the first time don't like what they hear because it doesn't sound like what they're used to. I'll bet not more than 1 in 1000 guitar players could tell that my CA Vintage Performer is not wood in a blind listening test. No one hears that guitar and thinks it sounds like CF. Some CF people actually would prefer their guitars not sound like wood; they prefer the pure sound of CF. However, it can be darn difficult to convince someone to give CF a chance when they don't like the tone they hear because it's not what they're used to.
Methinks we a bit defensive about carbon fiber guitars, yes? I have nothing against carbon fiber guitars. I've played them and think they have their own place and unique sound. Will they replace wood guitars? No. Do they need to? No. Everyone can exist together just fine. Nobody needs to be won over, well unless there is some clandestine carbon fiber initiative going on somewhere plotting to rule the world. If that's the case, then I'd say they're going to have a tough row to hoe.

Now go play that CF instrument and enjoy yourself. And if I see Yo-Yo I'll tell him you spoke highly of his CF cellos.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
unless there is some clandestine carbon fiber initiative going on somewhere plotting to rule the world.
sO tHAts wHAt hAPPEnEd tO mE !
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 12-16-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Nope, I never said that. Don't put words in my mouth..
I asked “However, how can you be so sure that CF can't sound as good as (or better than) wood?” and you answered “Because it's not wood.” Please tell me how I misinterpreted your statement.

Quote:
Methinks we a bit defensive about carbon fiber guitars, yes? I have nothing against carbon fiber guitars. I've played them and think they have their own place and unique sound. Will they replace wood guitars? No. Do they need to? No. Everyone can exist together just fine. Nobody needs to be won over, well unless there is some clandestine carbon fiber initiative going on somewhere plotting to rule the world. If that's the case, then I'd say they're going to have a tough row to hoe.

Now go play that CF instrument and enjoy yourself. And if I see Yo-Yo I'll tell him you spoke highly of his CF cellos.
I am indeed defensive about CF guitars because there are so many people who don’t know much about them, but make strong statements indicating a bias or a misunderstanding. I often feel the need to set the record straight (as I see it, anyway).

And, no, we're not clandestine...
Old 12-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I am indeed defensive about CF guitars because there are so many people who don’t know much about them, but make strong statements indicating a bias or a misunderstanding. I often feel the need to set the record straight (as I see it, anyway).

And, no, we're not clandestine...
You are going to be a VERY busy guy if you intend to set the record straight for every bias or misunderstanding on the internet!!

I am a married guy... at some point one learns it is easier to shrug it off, rather than try to convince someone to change a bias... that's kind of premise of "a bias". Much like on political forums: millions of man-hours have gone into ranting/raving discussions and NOT A SINGLE mind changed. Ever. In the history of the internet. I read that on the internet, so I know it must be true.

Good call on telling people that we are not clandestine... they'll never know what hit 'em when the zombie apocalypse goes down and those who are left find that carbon fiber guitars can be used to smash zombie skulls, where wood ineffectively shatters. Bwaaahaaahaaaa!
Old 12-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I own them
LOL...that made me laugh out loud! Thanks!
I just realized that I own some too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber