The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2022, 09:15 AM

Default NGD: 2011 Martin HD-28

I posted a while back about my search for an acoustic guitar, and I thought I'd report back. The first guitar I came across which I really loved was a new D-28 Modern Deluxe, but it cost $5500, which was way over my budget. After trying a few Martin dreads, I came across this one. The guy selling it was the original owner, and hadn't really played it much in the last five years or so; he'd only opened the case every few months to refill the humidifier. Even with the old strings it had, it sounded absolutely beautiful. It had that same sparkling top end and strong bass I loved so much about the D-28MD. At $2500 with a LR Baggs Anthem installed, it seemed like a good option (a new HD-28 is around $4200 here in Norway, if you can find one in stock).

I went home and thought about it for a few days, but I knew quickly that this was the one, and I was able to go pick it up a week later. It was the night before a 4 day trip abroad, which meant that I spent the whole trip thinking about how much I wanted to play it
When picking it up, the guy was sad to see it go, but he said he knew it was the right decision and he was happy to see it go to someone who would appreciate it. He seemed like a nice guy and we had a good talk.

When I got it home, I changed the strings to some D'Addario EJ16's, and my god, what a difference. I do have some D'Addario XS's I want to try as well but I'm considering trying some 80/20's first as that's what was on it when I tried it first. HD-28 owners, what do you prefer, PB or 80/20, and why?

I think it still had the factory set up as the action was around 2.85mm on the low E and 2.35mm on the high e, which made it a bit difficult to play. After adjusting the nut slot heights, I filed around 0.9mm off the saddle, taking the action down to around 2.35mm and 1.9mm. It plays really well now, but there is buzz on the G string only. The saddle is quite worn - especially the G string - so I'm gonna replace it, which leads me to a few questions: should I be considering anything other than bone for the saddle? Are the bridge pins worth upgrading to bone or is it pointless? Finally, did Standard Series guitars come with bone nuts in 2011? I'm not sure what mine is made out of, but I'm thinking it's plastic.

I've never been much of a strummer, but I can sit and strum chords on this for ages. I did have a D-35 back in 2014, but I was a beginner back then and didn't think about the tonal characteristics of different guitars like I do today. Now I understand why these guitars are so popular. If there is one thing this acoustic guitar search has tought me, it's that I can't have one guitar and expect it to do everything. I've always been a one acoustic guitar guy, and thinking back, I think I sold my D-35 because I didn't enjoy fingerpicking on it and my 00-28 because I didn't like strumming it. The HD-28 is great, but I'd like to add something like a 000-15m, or possibly an OM, for when I'm in the mood for that.

EDIT: Right after posting, I decided to check the serial, because I'd heard that a 2011 should have a bone nut and saddle. Turns out it's a 2002, not a 2011 (8852XX serial)

I have the original receipt from December 2011, which is what the seller was basing the year off. It shows that he paid $1850 for it back then, but looking at price comparison websites, I see that it actually cost >$2000 in Norway back then. It's from a small shop and he didn't strike me as a "guitar guy" so it's entirely possible he bought it used without thinking about it. Not that it makes any difference to me whether it's a 2011 or 2002
2021 Gibson SG Standard VOS
2021 Rickenbacker 330

Last edited by eythor; 09-18-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

That’s the perfect find: a great guitar that someone with means bought but stopped playing, and gradually realized he needed to release back into the wild. He held it mostly insulated from market price increases, until you came along.

I predict we will see more of these in the 2020s.

Congratulations and love that thing.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 09-18-2022, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

HI Eythor!

Congratulations on that Martin HD-28! What a great find! I love that herringbone trim!

Regarding strings, I mostly use D'Addario EJ16, but I do sometimes experiment with other choices. Martin SP Authentic 80/20 strings have a very good sound and I use them at times when I went a little more treble sparkle. Also, John Pearse makes great sounding strings in both PB and 80/20. I use John Pearse PB on my old Martin D-35, which sounds a little too bright with D'Addario EJ16 strings on it. I use John Pearse 80/20 light gauge strings on some of my darker guitars to bring out a little more sparkle, though John Pearse 80/20 strings are not quite as bright as Martin SP 80/20.

Congratulations again!

- Glenn
Old 09-18-2022, 11:08 AM

Congrats, enjoy it forever.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar!
PS. Is that a dog on the back of the sofa?
Old 09-18-2022, 01:07 PM

I use Curt Mangan phosphor bronze strings (13's or medium) on my HD-28. I've used just about every brand of strings over the years. To my ears nothing else give the tone, volume and sustain that Mangan's do.

I have no idea re availability in Norge.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:28 PM

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
HI Eythor!

Congratulations on that Martin HD-28! What a great find! I love that herringbone trim!
Thanks, Glenn! I love it as well, and much prefer the look of the HD-28 over the D-28. I do have a D12-28 coming in the mail tomorrow, though, so I'll have the best of both worlds

Have you tried the D'Addario EJ11s? I'm curious about how they compare to the EJ16s. The reason I tend to use D'Addarios is that I can get them for $5 a set from Stewmac with free shipping, while Martin and other acoustic strings usually cost $12-15 a set in the stores here. I've also heard good things about the GHS Vintage Bronze, which Stewmac also carries, but haven't tried them. I love GHS Boomers for my electrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkycat View Post
Is that a dog on the back of the sofa?
Haha, no. It's some kind of pelt from our family in Iceland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
To my ears nothing else give the tone, volume and sustain that Mangan's do.

I have no idea re availability in Norge.
Interesting! I was able to find one online retailer that carries them, but they are $23 for one set with shipping. I'll keep my eyes open and see if I can find them in one of the local music stores.
2021 Gibson SG Standard VOS
2021 Rickenbacker 330
Old 09-18-2022, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations & Enjoy Your Martin HD-28!

Every Martin HD-28 from 1977 to the present that I've owned (I'm on my seventh, a 2020 Reimagined), or picked up and played in a store (many), has always sounded wonderful.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-18-2022, 04:33 PM

Congrats, the Martin HD-28 is one of my favorite models. May it bring you many years of inspiration and enjoyment.
Old 09-18-2022, 04:42 PM
Runaway Tomato

Beautiful new instrument! Congratulations!
Former AGF Moderator

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
dreadnaught, martin hd-28, ngd